Who wears a vest?

This is a discussion on Who wears a vest? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Should have mentioned ... the old style Wrangler or Levi demin vests are very hard to find. The guy that runs the Sportsman's Guide has ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who wears a vest?

source for vest

Should have mentioned ... the old style Wrangler or Levi demin vests are very hard to find. The guy that runs the Sportsman's Guide has some products that are hard to find, like these vests, made under his Guide Gear label.

I have a couple of his vests ... they are high quality, soft denim, copies of the old Wrangler vests ... two brest pockets with buttons, a slanted open pocket each side on the outside, and two large pockets - one each side inside. They are long enough to cover some OWB holsters, and conceal an IWB very well, can work with a shoulder holster but the straps tend to be visible through the arm holes when in a riding position on a bike. I use biker type vest extenders to keep the vest open in hot weather but still keep it from blowing open.

The price on these is very good ... 'course it costs a few bucks for shipping ... I ended up with three -- one each for the wife and my motorcycle organization patch cuts, and one spare for me with no club affiliation markings. Shipping takes a long time ... they go via some space available process on a commercial shipper to the nearest post office to you that has a commercial shipping hub nearby, then in the US mail to you ... took about 3 weeks.

See them at http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=122566

I am in no way affiliated with these folks ... just like the vest and good denim ones are hard to find.

Chuck
    ** Is your mission on earth complete? Check your pulse. **
    ******** If you still have one, the answer is NO! *********

2. Remove Ads

I've been wearing a 5.11 vest at work for security for about a year. It's great, I can carry all my gear without wearing a duty belt. I really don't like IWB for everyday carry, the vest makes it easy to conceal a hip holster.

When not at work I found a fleece vest thats long enough to hide a gun. Check out diamond tactical they have a really nice fleece vest on clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by djturnz View Post
    I have seen an older guy in an article about concealment with a vest. He also wore what looked like a safari hat, I assume to distract from the vest.
    Older? Geez, I'm only 30.

Wait, I've never posted pics of me in the hat & vest.

For most days, I wear a tuckable IWB and full size pistol, and my Coronado vest is just to prevent printing. (and carry my .380 backup)

Occasionally, I wear one of two cheap nylon vests I got from (I think) Sportsman's Guide for $20 for the pair, and tuck my shirt behind the gun. Only problem with those vests is that you don't get a color choice; it's a two-pack of an OD green and a dark gray. If I really feel the need for a backup on those days, I have a SmartCarry too.

I've been wearing a ScotteVest for a couple of years now. They don't make the one I have (version 2.0) but it works great when the weather takes a turn. If anyone ever asks about it you can distract them with the multitude of pockets etc...

http://www.scottevest.com/index.shtml
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

I use several but only if the fit into the surroundings. No tactical, fishing or photo vests for me just a good Columbia works well for me.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

For some reason, leaving a long-sleeved shirt with tails untucked feels like I'm wearing socks and sandals. I'm in Ohio, and our stupid car carry laws make using the tuckable feature of my holster impractical.

This is my first year of CCW, so I'm still figuring things out. Bought a bunch of thrift store vests--Mostly sweater or fleece, one that's a nice sweatshirt material. Although I didn't used to wear vests before CCW, it is actually a less drastic change to my style than other cold weather cover options. If a 5:11 vest is tactical style, most of these would be anti-tactical, almost something Clark Kent would wear...

I wear a photographers vest a lot.

I have one of these in gray and one in black.

A lot of the time I'll also have a camera in hand too. Or will be carrying a camera bag and tripod.
    Firearms Academy of Seattle FAS-2 Graduate X2
    Firearms Academy of Seattle FAS-4 Graduate X2

Nice vest, Damon. I have one similar I bought at MasterOfConcealment.com for under $60. It's called the urban concealment vest.

Here's a direct link:
    http://masterofconcealment.com/pgrou...76/?return=%3f

I'm sorry but a vest is like wearing one of those gun fanny pack that screams gun. Myself I wear a regular hip holster, but a short sleeve shirt untucked over a t-shirt also untucked over the gun. The t-shirt would cover if a gust of wind would open my shirt. I also have a few unlined windjackets by Nike as a cover garment. Its worked for me for almost 10 years of carrying concealed.

Curious, do you also wear an undershirt? I need to have at least one shirt tucked in. I don't like to have the gun resting directly on my skin.

I don't know about you all, But at my age over 50, I wear what I please, I wear a 5.11 vest and carry in the vest or owb I really don't
    care if some one thinks im carrying or not.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Yes, most of the time I do wear a t shirt under my covering garment. It can be distracting to have the butt of the gun rubbing my "love handles". Also the t shirt can absorb any sweat in a hot day to keep the gun clean and prevent any corrision. Its not an issue due my carrying of a Kahr CW9 (stainless slide and polymer slide).

You probably are to young to pull off a vest, depending on what kind of clothes you wear. I know I am at 25.

What are you carrying? If it is something large, you may be better off with a smaller pistol. If you are already carrying something compact, concealing it under two shirts should be enough, unless your clothes are form fitting.

The best way to keep a shirt closed in the wind is to button the lowest button. You don't have to walk around like that all day, but it works well in parking lots.

I carry an XD9 subcompact right behind my hip (4:00 or so). I usually wear baggy jeans and either a polo shirt or a tshirt. I do have some short sleeve button ups that I wear to conseal when I can. Though some of them are too short. I don't wear them to work anymore because I have to dress up a little, so I don't buy them anymore. I am 6'3" - 350lbs. so I am used to people noticing me.

I wear a vest when I'm off duty.
    I think my age and appearance has a lot to do with
    the ease and concealability of a vest.

Most people ask me "going fishing" or
    hows the fishing been today?
    A fly or two stuck on a pocket helps.

I like all the pockets and the amount of things
    You can cram in to it.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links