Who wears a vest?

This is a discussion on Who wears a vest? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I didn't want to hijack the "I open carried for the first time" thread but I have a question about one of the replies. Who ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who wears a vest?

Who wears a vest?

I didn't want to hijack the "I open carried for the first time" thread but I have a question about one of the replies.

Who wears a vest to conceal? Do you have a picture of you wearing a vest? I have a vest similar to what I have seen in magazines like the 5.11 style. I feel that I look out of place with it on. maybe I am too young to rock a vest (26). I have seen an older guy in an article about concealment with a vest. He also wore what looked like a safari hat, I assume to distract from the vest. I'd like to see some real world vest wearers.

2. Remove Ads

It looks like you're looking for feedback on a safari-style vest, but let me respond about the general title of "Who wears a vest?".

I cover my IWB rig with a micro fiber vest I just got from Cabelas for only $7.95. I'd call it a "golf style vest", since that's the setting where I often see them. They generally cost much more, but I figured for the price I'd give it a try as a cover garment--it works great, and fits in with my style of dress, which I'd describe as business casual. It never looks "out of place" when in places where that style of dress is prevalent.

The reason it works so well for carry is that the ribbed bottom holds it fast from slipping downward, while the upper fabric, which is ample around the waist area, gathers by the waist providing ample space and fabric to hide the pistol. I've not tried it, but it would work for OWB as well, I'm sure.

Here's a look at it: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...vest&noImage=0
    Last edited by JimmyC4; October 3rd, 2006 at 11:10 AM.

I do have a few of what I call "Fashion Vests" or "sweater vests" like that. I don't recall if I ever wore one while carrying though. I know I haven't carried my XD with one since I just got it this summer and I don't wear vests like that in summer, too hot.

But you are correct that is not the vest i was refering to.

Assistant Administrator
    I have and use Smith and Alexander vests - and have for some time now. I use them most when biking in summer and so do not regard the appearance as too ''suspicious! In winter things are easier as I then use any one of several shirts of different weights, worn open.

In fact I really don't care too much if the vest does make a statement to those ''in the know'' - if they cannot see the gun then they just have to keep guessing

The pics were taken in a hurry last year to show the style - but not only did I have about my oldest pair of jeans on but the vest was my oldest and thus looks well creased!! Anyways - hopefully gives some idea.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thanks. You do raise another question I have had. When I wear a button up shirt open, and walk through a parking lot, it will obviously blow around a bit. I usually try to keep one hand in my pocket and hold it down that way, or I'll push a small piece of the shirt to sort of "tuck" it in my belt until I get in the store. I have no idea how suspicious it looks. My wife says she can tell, but of course she knows.

Also like sweater vests in cool weather

I also like cotton "sweater vests" in cool weather for a cover garment. If you pick a dark color, they conceal a compact gun in a belt holster very well. The sweater vest is long enough to cover the bottom of the holster by several inches, and you can easily draw the gun by using your outstretched thumb to lift the hem up as you grasp the grip of the gun. Here is a picture of a typical sweater vest from the Lands End website:

Assistant Administrator
    When I wear a button up shirt open, and walk through a parking lot, it will obviously blow around a bit.
    djturnz - There are various ''devices'' one can use and you mentioned two.

I find also the ''elbow into side'' approach useful for windy days, locking garment against the gun - but discretely. Even thumb hooked into pocket is adequate if pocket too tight to easy insert whole hand.

I also do the obvious too at times and button up just one lower button until inside out of wind.
    Chris - P95

I wear vests regularly for concealment. I wear one of three styles, depending on where I am going. I like my 5.11 Vest for everyday wear. Pocket(s) for paperwork I might be carrying, room for Cell Phone, Pen/Pencil, Knife, Cigar, Lighter, and a candy bar. Doesn't work too well for a more dressed up affair. For that I have a Micro-Fiber Vest that covers but doesn't have all the pockets. Lastly I have a outdoor style vest that provides warmth rather than style.

For best cover, without "printing" I buy one size larger than I need to wear. I am a Large and an XL vest covers fine without looking too oversized.
    ""If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, I either won't need more or, more won't help me.""

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    djturnz - There are various ''devices'' one can use and you mentioned two.

I find also the ''elbow into side'' approach useful for windy days, locking garment against the gun - but discretely. Even thumb hooked into pocket is adequate if pocket too tight to easy insert whole hand.

I also do the obvious too at times and button up just one lower button until inside out of wind.
    Ok. I guess I have it down then. I thought maybe there was some great secret.

Assistant Administrator
    I thought maybe there was some great secret.
    No ''secret'' - just subterfuge and subtlety - stuff the sheep don't notice
    Chris - P95

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by djturnz View Post
    He also wore what looked like a safari hat, I assume to distract from the vest. I'd like to see some real world vest wearers.
    Only amateurs wear the safari hat to draw attention away from the vest / gun.

A true professional wears white socks and sandals......

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I wear a vest every day. Either 5.11 or some kind of leather. I have never noticed that anyone paid attention at all. However, I wear jeans and cowboy boots as well, so maybe a vest is assumed to be part of that "look" or whatever.
    Sheep don't notice anyway.

Assistant Administrator
    A true professional wears white socks and sandals......
    Thought I wouldn't see that Matt huh?!
    Chris - P95

I bought the safari vest from Cabela's. It seems to work pretty well concealing full size semi autos. I've gotten my wife to follow me around and let me know if "anything" shows and so far so good.

It actually works out to be more like "urban deuce gear".

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...vest&noImage=0
    Last edited by JayHawker45; October 3rd, 2006 at 04:51 PM.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

VIP Member
    Since I only use OWB holsters, I use some type of cover when not at home.

If casual, I use a loose un-tucked shirt. Most other times I use a vest.

The vests range from the 5.11, Woolrich type to leather or western types. I'm short-waisted & wide-shouldered, so the vests are long enough to cover the entire holster. The western type work well in winter as a coat can be put on over top of it & if I need to remove coat I still have a vest on underneath to keep weapon covered.

As to the 5.11 or 'photo' style or 'the shoot me first' vests go, most people are oblivious to noticing....some have asked me if I take pictures or fish, but so far nobody has 'made' me. People I know are so used to me wearing a vest, they ask what's up if I DON"T have a vest on.

When asked about the vest I joke with them & say it's better than a purse! (especially since I carry: wallet, cellphone/PDA, spare magazines, Surefire light, Gerber Multitool, pen, Sharpie, cards, lighter, extra kerchief, keys & sometimes a bottle of water.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links