Should I be using a bronze brush on a new pistol?

This is a discussion on Should I be using a bronze brush on a new pistol? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just bought a S&W 9mm Shield and so far I've shot a 150 rounds through it at the gun range. This week I'm going ...

Thread: Should I be using a bronze brush on a new pistol?

I just bought a S&W 9mm Shield and so far I've shot a 150 rounds through it at the gun range. This week I'm going to a class to get my carry permit. My question is should I be running a Bronze brush through it since it is so new or just cleaning patches with Hoppe's NO. 9 solvent finished with Rem oil. Yesterday I seen a poly brush at a local gun store so I picked one up and I planned to use that instead of a bronze brush. Whats your opionion? What a terrific Forum this is.....

A bronze brush won't hurt a steel barrel if you scrub from now...'til Easter. With only 150 rounds fired (I'm trusting you cleaned & lubed it out of the box) I wouldn't do much more than a quick wipe-down. That having been said, most guns are over-lubricated during cleaning. That only serves to attract & trap more gunk. Go buy an old-fashioned shaving (boar bristle) brush. It's just about perfect for distributing a nice, correct, thin layer of oil over all the lubricated surfaces. Less is more. Good luck on your test. Come back & tell us about your experience.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Won't hurt it all. If you are using jacketed ammo probably not need to after 150. You might want to look for a good clp like Break Free or something similar I like it much better than Hoppe's and rim oil....YMMV

Do you think that a jacketed bullet passing through the barrel is harder on the barrel than a phosphor-bronze bore brush?

Honestly, a bronze bore brush for barrel cleaning is highly recommended.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

I use a patch and hoppies #9 even after thousands of rounds. Using firearms for many decades I have very seldom seen the need for a brush and I know the brush will not bother the bore. The barrel should only be cleaned from the breech end and not from the muzzle end with a rod.

Bronze is fine, just don't use one when you're using a copper solvent.

More important is how you use it - through the breach and not the muzzle.
    NRA Certified Instructor - RSO - Life Member

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.
    -Albert Einstein

I appreciate your replies folks.
    I have been using a Bronze brush along with Hoppe's #9 and pads followed with Rem oil but when I saw that the gun shop had poly brushes I bought one, since it was only a couple bucks, thinking maybe a bronze bush would be a little rougher on the rifling than poly. I started thinking that maybe a Bronze brush wasn't need so much on my new gun since I haven't that many rounds through it yet. As member 481 mentioned, I guess a bullet passing down the barrow isn't any harder than a bronze brush. That's why I enjoy reading and learning from much more knowledgeable folks than I.

I took mine down including the firing pin when I got it. I clean it totally including the brush every time I shoot no matter how little I shoot. I do not take out the firing pin every time I clean it. Good gun care is like good foot care. Someday you are going to be glad you made it a habit.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Administrator
    The Poly brushes are basically worthless.

You'll never harm your barrel with either the bronze brushes OR the Stainless bore cleaning brushes.
    It all has to do with metal hardness and the Stainless steel bore cleaning brushes are annealed much softer than any gun barrel steel.

Sponsored Links