Anyone Here Actually OWN A Chinese Military Shovel ???

This is a discussion on Anyone Here Actually OWN A Chinese Military Shovel ??? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The WJQ-308 I guess I could wait until the Chinese army invades and acquire one then as a battlefield pick up...if you know what I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Anyone Here Actually OWN A Chinese Military Shovel ???

Administrator

Question Anyone Here Actually OWN A Chinese Military Shovel ???

The WJQ-308
    I guess I could wait until the Chinese army invades and acquire one then as a battlefield pick up...if you know what I mean.
    Anyway...I am not really interested in the "I Only Buy American" comments. But, you can post those comments also if you really want to.
    I try to do that most of the time also. Although these days it is getting increasingly difficult to do that.
    But, the fact remains that we really do not have an American made equivalent of this shovel.
    I don't know WHY NOT? They steal enough of our patented products.

Anyway...back to my original question. Anybody OWN one and have you used it?
    Your opinion of it?
    And yes, I am aware of the fact that using two of them as raft oars to paddle is a bit of a stretch but, it still has an awesomely diverse number of ~ weight to function ~ uses as a survival item/tool.
    Watch the video and what say you?

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Look! It'll chop down a tree, cut a metal pipe in half, and will still cut a tomato with ease! And for a limited time, you get not one, but TWO chinese war shovels for the low low price of $2.19! This do it all tool will replace an entire garage of tools! Save space, time and money all at the same time! Act now, as quantities are limited to 47 billion units!

Seriously though, I'm not so hot on the idea. I have the US issue version. Same basic thing, but with a locking nut for the angle adjustment. The little bit of slack between the handle and the head makes using it a pain. The wiggle that it has makes digging a wrist-spraining affair. It makes a decent ax if you are cutting tiny 1/2" branches. Otherwise, use a pocket knife, its quicker. When using it as an ax, the free play makes the vibration absorb impact, so it isnt very effective, and it hurts. Still, in a survival situation, its a decent tool for the weight of it. I havent used this exact version, but the one I have is pretty much the same idea.
    Last edited by kb2wji; October 26th, 2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: carried away, forgot to actually answer OP question
    ErnieNWillis likes this.

Best I can do is a vintage US Army entrenching tool.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Best I can do is a vintage US Army entrenching tool.
    Probably MADE in China...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I would think we could get one from the NATO Troops after they invade the USA.

Should be plenty of them to go around once they get settled in as Peace Keepers.
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Bought one, took it back. Couldn't read the instructions.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Here's an alternative: GLOCK

They fold up small. I have one in each of our vehicles.

But it is not Chinese. Me bad.
    5lima30ret and GhostMaker like this.

VIP Member
    I don't have a Chinese shovel, but I do have a Chinese Coca Cola. You dig, I'll watch and sip my Coke.

Actually it was an interesting video, and if they'd skinned a squirrel with it I'd even be more impressed.

I'd say a good product for a survival type tool.
    CaptSmith likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

The additional tools which were interesting, and easily added in manufacturing:

Wire cutter;
    Hammer;
    Nail puller;
    Bottle opener;
    Can opener;
    Wire tightener; and
    Pry tool

Most if not all of the other uses are just creative and attainable with other multi-tools. Most of the list above would be accomplished with my Leatherman other than a hammer and a nail puller, which I could improvise.

Can't beat the darn Soundtrack though! A real 1960's Western..........I kept thinking John Wayne was going to stroll onto the set.
    pgrass101 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Here's an alternative: GLOCK

They fold up small. I have one in each of our vehicles.

But it is not Chinese. Me bad.
    What caliber do they come in??????
    Badey likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Administrator
    The Glock looks interesting.
    I know that the GERBER is a true POS.

The COLD STEEL is decent and lots cheaper but, lacking in any real multi use functionality.

I've not seen the SOG or heard much of anything about it.

The Chinese MIL is not cheap. You would think that it would be since it's Made In China but, it's $85.00 & that is direct from China.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Lead Moderator
    Looks to be a decent tool. I have the US issue E tool that works ok, but this has many more features. Not sure if I would use them all while camping, ect but pretty cool. Imagine that , stuff not designated for export isn't crap. If you seriously want one I have a source that may be able to get one cheaper.
    QKShooter and Aceoky like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    What caliber do they come in??????
    Oh no, not a shovel caliber war!!!!!
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I just tried to track down the weight of your Chinese shovel - I couldn't ever find it. The Glock only weighs 24 oz though...........
    QKShooter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    Seriously though, I'm not so hot on the idea. I have the US issue version. Same basic thing, but with a locking nut for the angle adjustment. The little bit of slack between the handle and the head makes using it a pain. The wiggle that it has makes digging a wrist-spraining affair. It makes a decent ax if you are cutting tiny 1/2" branches. Otherwise, use a pocket knife, its quicker. ... I havent used this exact version, but the one I have is pretty much the same idea.
    I dunno, it seemed pretty solid to me in that blurry 360p video haha. Seriously though the idea is pretty good, and it did -look- effective. Who's to say they don't have a better locking cam or something than the U.S. version. As much as we hate to admit it, the quality of a lot of Chinese products are going up, and something for their own use I could see being better built than something for U.S. export.

Don't quote me on this, but I might spring for one just to try it out and let everyone know. Kinda spendy but if it -does- end up being decent, it won't be a bad thing to add to the emergency prep kit.

Edit: You know, while it may be an unlikely scenario, that it could support their body weight for climbing would seem to indicate it's at least a strong piece of equipment. Yeah I know, they aren't as heavy as the average American, but it does lend some support for it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links