Electronic gun safe failure

This is a discussion on Electronic gun safe failure within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would personally prefer an old school manual dial, but mine had an electronic keypad on it when I bought it. It has been years ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Electronic gun safe failure

I would personally prefer an old school manual dial, but mine had an electronic keypad on it when I bought it. It has been years and it works flawlessly.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

I always thought the keypad would fail just due from being used constantly. Like the contacts of the buttons failing.

I thought the solar flare fear may make me sound a little crazy :) That's why I'm glad GetSmith brough it up, haha. I Googled my concern and it seems I'm not alone. Though most people fear EMP nukes more than solar flares. Solar Flares are inevitable. They are scientifically proven to happen. Not so much concerned about an EMP attack.

Like I said I took the door apart. I saw the inside of the lock, there is a 1/4 of a circle shaped tooth that comes down and inserts into a notch of a large metal plate.

When the combo is entered the metal plate can then easily push the tooth out of the way. From outside the door the tooth is located directly to the middle and bottom of the keypad. If drilled out and that "tooth" is drilled out and broken off, the handle should swing back and forth with ease. That's if I have access to a working drill. I'm feeling pretty good about being able to get into the safe if I need to force my way in. Like I said, this thing is designed, IMO as a deterrent. Spend enough time, with tools, you can get in.

I also sent and e-mail to my local lock smith asking if they can convert an electrical safe to a mechanical.

Y'all are scarin' me.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I've considered the same in looking for a larger safe. What if?

Mechanical is going to be my choice.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

For those that do not know what solar storms can do google "carrington event". That was the last peak of a solar storm in 1859. Knocked out global electronics which was only the telegraph at the time. A solar storm is the worst case SHTF senario. That's what I prep for, if your ready for that you can ride out most anything.

RKM, contact a local locksmith/safe shop. Depending upon the internal mechanisms they might be able to install a turn dial. If not have the tools and a plan to open your safe by any means necessary.
    pgrass101 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post
    For those that do not know what solar storms can do google "carrington event". That was the last peak of a solar storm in 1859. Knocked out global electronics which was only the telegraph at the time. A solar storm is the worst case SHTF senario. That's what I prep for, if your ready for that you can ride out most anything.

RKM, contact a local locksmith/safe shop. Depending upon the internal mechanisms they might be able to install a turn dial. If not have the tools and a plan to open your safe by any means necessary.
    I sent them an e-mail last night. It would be really nice if I could buy the parts and convert it myself. I work on cars for a living, and have changed locks and tumblers countless times. Taking the back of the safe door off and seeing what's in there, it doesn't look very difficult. I know it's different than car door locks :) but still, it doesn't look at all difficult to convert it.

It seems like a lot of people want to convert from a combination to electrical. Understandable as the access is much quicker. I don't mind spending a bit more time to open my safe. As I said before there is always at least one firearm with me.

I would actually really like the electrical if I knew for sure that it was going to be reliable. It is much more convenient. I'm just having a hard time trusting it. I can just hope that if solar flares hit I'm already home :) because when I'm home, the safe is always already open. locking it is the last thing I door before I leave and unlocking it is the first thing I do when I get home.

In the "For what it is worth" category, the owner of the store where I purchased my safe indicated digital locks accounted for 90% or so of all lock failures. That is just his informal observation over time.

That is not to say digitals will fail, or do fail given time, it is merely an informal comparison.

Is Y2K coming again?

I haven't had great luck with my electronic safe. I bought a GunVault last year. I am sure they make great safes, but mine failed on me. One night, I heard some noises and attempted to extract my pistol (after I heard some noices) and the safe would not open. Turns out that the latch jams. It takes several tries to get it open. I also have a small combination safe that I use under my car. Eventually, the third number of the combination incremented by one...and that one is mechanical. I currently just use a safe with a key lock.

Group 1 UL rated mechanical lock for the big safe like the Sargent and Greenleaf S&G 8500 Manipulation Proof Safe Lock. You can get a Group ll lock that is also pretty good for about 1/2 the price.

mgYhazxNQDLz-yeVgDrOIlw.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    I haven't had great luck with my electronic safe. I bought a GunVault last year. I am sure they make great safes, but mine failed on me. One night, I heard some noises and attempted to extract my pistol (after I heard some noices) and the safe would not open. Turns out that the latch jams. It takes several tries to get it open. I also have a small combination safe that I use under my car. Eventually, the third number of the combination incremented by one...and that one is mechanical. I currently just use a safe with a key lock.
    Man, that's gotta be a bad feeling. That's also the reason I stick to a mechanical lock for something my life might depend on.

This is the type of lock I use on my handgun safe for speed, reliability, and ability to open in the dark by feel. There are several manufacturers that use it on different style safes depending on your requirements.

push_button2.jpg

No electricity or batteries for either.

As far as the little under the seat box is concerned, what can you really expect for $30.00? Looks like the keyed version might have another weakness. I saw this yesterday. I am starting to wonder if they don't just give a false sense of security when leaving a gun in your car.

GV200 Failed Latch with Screwdriver.jpg
    Attached Images
    Grinder likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    Even locks with keys fail. I've replaced keys and tumblers in car doors countless times just from wearing out. While I trust mechanical more than electrical, ANYTHING can and will eventually fail.

On another note, I got a hold of the safe company. They did say that conversion to a mechanical lock is possible and to contact my local locksmith in order to have it completed. My next question to them was whether or not my door is removable, so I can remove the door and take it to the locksmith rather than having the locksmith come into my house and work in my bedroom. Not comfortable with that really. I'd rather take the door to him. It appears to be removable. But I don't want to try to remove it as I've heard some safe doors are not meant to be removed.

The electronic lock on mine is made by LA GARD so it's supposed to be a good one. So I'm fairly confident in it working consistently, until CME's hit us :) We can only hope that the CME's NASA speaks of are just hype.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    Even locks with keys fail. I've replaced keys and tumblers in car doors countless times just from wearing out. While I trust mechanical more than electrical, ANYTHING can and will eventually fail.

On another note, I got a hold of the safe company. They did say that conversion to a mechanical lock is possible and to contact my local locksmith in order to have it completed. My next question to them was whether or not my door is removable, so I can remove the door and take it to the locksmith rather than having the locksmith come into my house and work in my bedroom. Not comfortable with that really. I'd rather take the door to him. It appears to be removable. But I don't want to try to remove it as I've heard some safe doors are not meant to be removed.

The electronic lock on mine is made by LA GARD so it's supposed to be a good one. So I'm fairly confident in it working consistently, until CME's hit us :) We can only hope that the CME's NASA speaks of are just hype.
    Safe doors are pretty heavy. On most safes the door accounts for something like 30 percent of the total weight.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    -
    I've considered the same in looking for a larger safe. What if?

Mechanical is going to be my choice.
    Mine was a special order. The store said they only sell a handful of the mechanicals a year. Apparently everyone wants the convenience and fast opening electronic locks. I can open the dial lock in about 15 to 20 seconds without rushing. I hardly think that is inconvenient.

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Safe doors are pretty heavy. On most safes the door accounts for something like 30 percent of the total weight.
    I'm a tough guy ;) My safe is about 400lbs. That would be 120lbs. I could carry that myself but would rather just get the help of a second person and throw it in the back of my mothers Honda Pilot. That is IF my safe door is removable. I just don't like strange people in my house, let alone in my bedroom, likely when I'm not home (I gotta work), fixing a big box that contains thousands of dollars of deadly objects. Even though they'd be risking their job if they decided to steal, I'd rather just take to door to them.

I just contacted a local safe and vault company. I found them just with a quick internet search. They list that part of there services are upgrading or changing safe locks. So that sounds ideal

As for the speed, the electrical is very fast and convenient. But as I started before, speed is not my concern. I lock it just before I leave the house, and open it the second I get home. It stays open as long as I'm home. And there is always at least one gun with me.

I don't keep guns in safes and have no "Safe Queens". Mine are in various locations around the house, in the locked "Gun Room" or in cars. No children in the house either. When my granddaughter gets bigger I will look to move things again after proper teaching of what not to touch or look for.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links