Car Safes

This is a discussion on Car Safes within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alright guys, I am sure you talk about this frequently but I am always in for up to date answers and suggestions. I will soon ...

Thread: Car Safes

Car Safes

Alright guys, I am sure you talk about this frequently but I am always in for up to date answers and suggestions. I will soon be getting my permit, followed by my C&C. I am not allowed to be carrying while I am at work and can not have it on work premises (I could hide it but it's not worth it). We all know with the responsibility of having a gun, is using it when the time is right and keeping it out of the hands on others, mainly referring to thieves.

What I am looking to do is find a car safe for my car. But I don't want a little thing which someone can steal to later torch open. I don't want a little lock box that I chain to my seat which can be slipped off by loosening a bolt or 2 or cutting a chain or cable. I want to get a small safe and literally get it welded somewhere in my car so it is part of the car and not coming off.

I have not decided if that will be under my seat, in the back or in the trunk but I want something permanent. The only time this will be stored in the safe is when I enter somewhere in which I can not have it such as college, work, post office etc...

So what do we have when it comes to best bang for buck?

We have to consider strength of the safe, not easy to break into (more digits/personalized passcodes) while still retaining a safe place where the gun won't flop around and something easy to get into.

I am going this route as I don't want a small portable gun locker in which someone can make off with after simply cutting a chain or cable with bolt cutters.

Let me know what you got for me, we don't want to break the bank but we want something nice

2. Remove Ads

If you weld a safe in place it will not be easily accessible and will be seen. If you are worried about someone cutting the cable, it is really difficult even with bolt cutters. Car break ins are usually smash and grab that takes very little time. If it is in the trunk you will have to put it in the safe in view of other people. I can pull our my under seat gun safe and put my pistol in it in a few seconds with out anyone ever seeing me do it.

Car Safes

What kind of car?

I'll vouch for Tuffy. I had my Jeep broken in a couple of times and they never got in to my gun. My new underseat one is practically unpenetratable! A crowbar can't open it. They make concealed carry boxes for vehicles.

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/default.aspx

It's a 2011 ford focus.

Maybe I am underestimating the strength of a small box and cable.
    I just want to make sure nobody will get away with anything.

I do live in a decent area, you never hear of robberies, break ins, car thefts around here. But I will just take the defensive side off the bat :p

I have the cable mounted style in both of my vehicles and do not fear of someone trying to get them. They are mounted to the seat hardware, and go under the seat without any tell tale signs. I've had my vehicle broken itno before, but it's been a smash and grab type thing. Believe me when I tell you, the guys that are just breaking into vehicles are not spending alot of time looking around for boxes, etc. They are stealling GPs' and radar detectors and moving on. They usually rifle through the glovebox, and center console and beat feet.
    I'm not in a high crime area either, but sometimes I need to go into downtown for business and am not allowed to carry.
    Just one man's $.02

How about welding D-rings in multiple locations in your car(s), and welding one to your safe too? You'd only have to buy one safe, and could move it between mounts any time you'd want. You could buy a U-lock or a chain and padlocks to secure it.

As far as the safe, I might be inclined to go with this one:

Fort Knox FTK-AUTO Auto Pistol Box Handgun Safe

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I think you're over-thinking this. No car is a Ft. Knox and doesn't need to be. Lockbox secured in trunk out of sight.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

What are you planning on using the safe for? Permanent storage? Temporary storage when you are not allowed to carry a firearm?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

I have one of the lock boxes with the cable. Good strong cable with a few options to secure it. The only problem with it is that with very little effort and a screwdriver I broke the "bolt" the holds the locking latch. I just lifted the corner and slid the screwdriver in and a little lift it popped right open. This is one of the cheaper $25 boxes with a combination lock. I just want people to remember that these are a lock box and not a safe.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    What are you planning on using the safe for? Permanent storage? Temporary storage when you are not allowed to carry a firearm?
    Just when at school/work/post office type of places.

Otherwise the thing will never leave my belt

Maybe I am over thinking it. A small safe will be fine, I just want to find a good place to attach and hide it

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_in_wi View Post
    I have one of the lock boxes with the cable. Good strong cable with a few options to secure it. The only problem with it is that with very little effort and a screwdriver I broke the "bolt" the holds the locking latch. I just lifted the corner and slid the screwdriver in and a little lift it popped right open. This is one of the cheaper $25 boxes with a combination lock. I just want people to remember that these are a lock box and not a safe.
    Mark
    I found this one the other day. The latch came off just as easy. Not much of a weld and he didn't even damage the 18ga case that would bend very easily if pried on.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by A7xSchecter6661 View Post
    Just when at school/work/post office type of places.

Otherwise the thing will never leave my belt

Maybe I am over thinking it. A small safe will be fine, I just want to find a good place to attach and hide it
    Two things...

1. Post office... DO NOT PARK IN THE P.O. PARKING LOT AND DISARM, you will be in violation of federal law.
    2. No safe is safe... not 100%.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

LOL, funny part being my local post office is in the same parking lot as the State Troopers. PO only has 3 parking spots and one is handicapped so I usually park in the troopers parking lot.
    But nobody needs to know I have a gun when I do.

Links