Training guns

Training guns

This is a discussion on Training guns within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone ever used the rubber/urethane training guns? I see they sell them a couple of places and just wondered if anyone else is as ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Chaplain Scott
  • 2 Post By rocky

Thread: Training guns

Training guns

Has anyone ever used the rubber/urethane training guns? I see they sell them a couple of places and just wondered if anyone else is as big of a nerd as I am.

I found one on ebay for $25 and it appears to be a replica of the gun family I am looking to purchase. The $25 doesn't really bother me as I will be dropping much much more on a gun, ammo, holsters, safes and more.

S&W M&P9c

Training gun

It is the slightly larger non compact model but that is fine. I am just looking to practice drawing and holstering during my long permit wait (another 3.5-5.5 months) as well as to get a feel for this style gun before I go to try them out and purchase one. I know they are usually meant for disarming scenarios but why the heck not!

I have a bunch of them, they are fine for drawing practice and such. There are a few concerns with some models, for example the XD models. The grip safety is molded in the "out" position, so it doesn't move when you grip the gun. Some of the 1911s are molded with the hammer down so a thumb break holster won't snap. Same with some models of holsters and guns with slide mounted safeties. On the revolvers you can't change grips, and you can't change the grip inserts on guns like yours. All in all I think they're a pretty good training aid.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

That's what I wanted to hear!

I am not worried about things not being interchangeable because I expect it to just be a hunk of rubber. I probably would not even bother but like I said I am a ways out from the permit. And who knows this might even convince me to go with the full size m&p.

Ahhh HA! So some people ARE as big a nerd as you are!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Do NOT, NOT, NOT let kids play with them--they go outside and play "Cops and Robbers" with a real-looking replica--they could end up shot dead-right-there by being mistaken for a real threat!!!!!!!
    lchamp and .45acpguy like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Lead Moderator
    Better to use snap caps or such and your actual pistol. This way the weight and trigger feel can be trained into your draw stroke and shooting skill set. The molded guns are great for weapon retention and other drills. I also use snap caps to practice clearing malfunction drills. Just be sure to keep all ammo , loaded mags in a different room or locked up till you are done.
    tacman605 and Caertaker like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    Do NOT, NOT, NOT let kids play with them--they go outside and play "Cops and Robbers" with a real-looking replica--they could end up shot dead-right-there by being mistaken for a real threat!!!!!!!
    No kids so no worry there!
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Better to use snap caps or such and your actual pistol. This way the weight and trigger feel can be trained into your draw stroke and shooting skill set. The molded guns are great for weapon retention and other drills. I also use snap caps to practice clearing malfunction drills. Just be sure to keep all ammo , loaded mags in a different room or locked up till you are done.
    Absolutely, we would not want a Chuckee replay where he swapped the "paint bullets" with real bullets

Sponsored Links