Gun oil - Page 2

Gun oil

This is a discussion on Gun oil within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Firearms are simple machines that don't get sucked in by advertizing and marketing. All they need is to be cleaned and lubed. That can of ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Gun oil

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Firearms are simple machines that don't get sucked in by advertizing and marketing. All they need is to be cleaned and lubed. That can of 3-in-1 oil will lube just as well as the $10/oz "gun" oil. A $5 bottle of synthetic motor oil will work as good or better than anything and last a life time. It also works in the car. Need some grease? You think wheel bearing grease can't work, considering how well it holds up to the stress of daily driving?

If you feel the latest "miracle" oil is just what your firearm needs to function, get it and use it. But I've never had a lube-induced malfunction with any of the common household oils I've used. The key is to clean and lube for positive function, and to not overuse whatever product you choose.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by foxytwo View Post
    I also use hoppes oil, have been for 60+years, why change now?
    You remind me of me.

Even so I got around to trying both Gunzilla and Ballistol a couple of years ago and have stuck with these products to date. Both are superior products in my opinion.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've got a bottle of Gunzilla also, but in all honesty, other than the lack of smell, I don't see where it performs any "better" than anything else. It does a good job, but so do a lot of things that don't cost a small fortune. If I pinch my nose closed, I don't find anything "superior" about Gunzilla. My guns have no sense of smell, so they have no comment on the matter.
    minimalbrat likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The only real advantage to the newer oils and greases is that they are non toxic and don't smell bad. I prefer Weapon's Shield - smells like cinnamon.

I use hoppes 9 and rem oil. There could be better and I just don't know about it. I do make sure I don't leave much.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Senior Moderator
    SAE 30 weight
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

RAL
    Using Froglube CLP (FrogLube ~ Homepage ~ It Just Works!). It doesn't attract more crud like petroleum products. Non-toxic, so no gloves. Smells nice - no need to ventilate.
    I know Whose I am. I know where I'm going. I know the job I'm to do while I'm here. I am an ambassador. This is not my home.

Evil prospers when good people to do nothing. Please don't turn your back. ACT!

I have typically used CLP without problems. When I started training at Front Sight in the Nevada Desert I tried a few different synthetic oils that lubricated but did not attract as much sand and dirt. I've used Gibbs Oil (Gibbs Brand Lubricant at GIBBSBRANDLUBRICANT.COM) I bought at a gun show based on the recommendation from a friend. It seemed to work fine, but I'm not completely sold on it because it isn't more widely used. I've also read good things about Froglube so I've been meaning to check that out as well.

Here's a video from the American Gunsmithing Institute (AGI) discussion gun oils - AGI Gunsmithing Video Mini lessons. The net net of the video is that pretty much any oil is good, but a few (they like CLP) are slightly better than the others.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I switched to Gunzilla a little while back. I never had a problem with cleaning or lubing with two or three products, but Gunzilla is just simpler, doesn't stain everything, smells nice, and I have noticed that my guns get easier and easier to clean with it.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Welcome to Ballistol USA!. Works great for powder residue and lube on metal and wood. Spray the whole gun. Wipe clean.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

VIP Member
    CLP or Hoppe's Elite. Either will do, as will most of the recommendations here.

Hoppes and Rem oil. But I like the other suggestions. Maybe a dumb question but what about WD40?

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Scramble4a5 View Post
    Maybe a dumb question but what about WD40?
    From GrantCunningham.com - Library

WD-40: WD-40 was never meant to be a lubricant - it was designed as a moisture displacer. It's far too light for any load protection, has incredibly poor corrosion resistance, contains zero boundary lubricants, and rapidly oxidizes to form a sickly yellow varnish (hint: this is not good for delicate internal lockwork.) There are those who will defend this stuff vehemently, but then again you can still find people who think smokeless powder is a passing fad. Just. Don't.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    SAE 30 weight

From GrantCunningham.com - Library

Motor oils: Generally good boundary lubrication (particularly the Havoline formulations), but very poor corrosion resistance and poor resistance to open-air oxidation. In addition, their pour-point additives often contain benzene compounds, which aren't a good thing to have next to your skin on a regular basis! If you must use something from the auto parts store, ATF performs better for firearms use on every count, even if it is a tad more expensive. (ATF is still 1/10 to 1/100th the cost of a specialty "gun oil.”)

Excellent point. It seems like everyone loves hoppes #9 so it must be good. There's something about the Remington gun grease that makes me think my gun is running smoother, plus it's extremely easy to apply

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links