Gun oil

This is a discussion on Gun oil within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I use Slip 2000 in my AR15, works very nicely... I use CLP to clean, then I apply the Slip 2000. For my shotguns and ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Gun oil

I use Slip 2000 in my AR15, works very nicely...

I use CLP to clean, then I apply the Slip 2000.

For my shotguns and .22, I use Hoppes as well as some off brand oil that came with my cleaning kits.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    I like M-Pro 7 M-Pro7 Gun Oil LPX - MPro7

I'm a cancer survivor so I especially like their cleaner
    No matter what the claims are on these products all cleaners are made with solvents and are not the nicest of things to be inhaling or absorbed through the skin. MPro7 included. Just thought you should know

Quote Originally Posted by davidw View Post
    No matter what the claims are on these products all cleaners are made with solvents and are not the nicest of things to be inhaling or absorbed through the skin. MPro7 included. Just thought you should know
    Understand and that is why I use surgical gloves when using these products.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

I use STARRETT instrument oil. The same for precision measuring tools. Seems to work as good as any other.

Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    From GrantCunningham.com - Library

WD-40: WD-40 was never meant to be a lubricant - it was designed as a moisture displacer. It's far too light for any load protection, has incredibly poor corrosion resistance, contains zero boundary lubricants, and rapidly oxidizes to form a sickly yellow varnish (hint: this is not good for delicate internal lockwork.) There are those who will defend this stuff vehemently, but then again you can still find people who think smokeless powder is a passing fad. Just. Don't.
    That explains why not. Thanks.

GH
    I use Break Free CLP but after reading many good comments on 10W-30 synthetic motor oil I'm going to start using that. I'll still use Break Free or Hoppes to clean the gun, though.

I've been told years ago to never use WD-40 or Windex or any other ammonia product in my guns so I never have.
    Last edited by GH; November 10th, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Great read! Thanks. I saved the page and will share it.

All great posts on what we like in a gun oil. But does anyone know of any scientific tests done to prove the claims the makers say the product does. Outside of the " I have been using it for 50 years from the web"

I am under the belief that a lube should lube and a cleaner should clean. I do not know about you, but I have never cleaned my barrel good with and oil that said it was a cleaner/lube/rust protecter.

A real cleaner would have more aggressive chemicals in it then just something that is trying to lube parts. To mix both together and market it as such does not make sense to me.

Its impossible to do all three. Also the MDS on the Ballistol is a large part minerial oil. I think 95% with some other stuff added. I could be wrong but thats what I remember.

So does anyone have or know of test run on any gun oil to support the claims made? I am interested to know and I am sure others on this post will be to.

I have been using FP10

Justin
    High Noon Holsters
    www.HighNoonHolsters.com

MJK
    CLP Breakfree

"CLP or Break Free is the best all around firearm cleaner on the market today. When the United States of America Military issued PD-48, a purchase description of properties for a single, multi-purpose product to maintain their weaponry, it became known as the “impossible specification” because of its severe requirements. The first product to meet the challenge – Break-Free CLP. Break-Free’s flagship product, CLP is a unique formulation of synthetic oils and individual proprietary ingredients which synergize in combination to do three important tasks simultaneously: Effectively Clean, Lubricate and Protect metal. After years of rigorous testing, CLP actually exceeded the Military’s requirements and was approved as a product to meet the Militaries needs. Break-Free CLP is now recognized around the world as the standard by which maximum metal performance and protection is ensured."

Guns & Ammo Enthusiast Review
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Cool CLP Products Do Work, The Military tests Lubricants

Quote Originally Posted by High Noon View Post
    All great posts on what we like in a gun oil. But does anyone know of any scientific tests done to prove the claims the makers say the product does. Outside of the " I have been using it for 50 years from the web"

I am under the belief that a lube should lube and a cleaner should clean. I do not know about you, but I have never cleaned my barrel good with and oil that said it was a cleaner/lube/rust protecter.

A real cleaner would have more aggressive chemicals in it then just something that is trying to lube parts. To mix both together and market it as such does not make sense to me.
    Whether it makes sense to you or not, the technique of adding a volatile solvent to a lubricating oil is well-proven and well-tested.

Its impossible to do all three. Also the MDS on the Ballistol is a large part minerial oil. I think 95% with some other stuff added. I could be wrong but thats what I remember.
    It is not impossible to do all three. A volatile solvent can be mixed with an oil. During the cleaning phase the solvent dissolves fouling and crud. Then the volatile solvent evaporates, leaving behind the lubricant and corrosion inhibitors.

So does anyone have or know of test run on any gun oil to support the claims made? I am interested to know and I am sure others on this post will be to.
    Sure. Google for "four ball wear test". Also Google for "gun oil corrosion test".

Further, all the products that pass the military specifications tests have been tested to at least meet the military's specifications (though not necessarily the manufacturers' claims).

I have been using FP10

Justin
    I hate to be the one to burst your bubble, but FP-10 is sold as a combined CLP product. It has a decent solvent and it is an adequate cleaning product.

I use automatic transmission fluid. If I'm feeling fun I'll spray a little penetrating grease on the rails.

I have found that nothing cleans a barrel better than Windex, the ammonia free version.(and the one exception needing occasional copper sovent for stubborn copper build up.) I clean and spray the entire slide and barrel with brake cleaner and then coat the slide, barrel and rails with synthetic motor oil and then wipe clean. I have never had a problem with rust and all of my guns still look new even the revolver cylinders with powder burns scrubbed off. I started years ago with Rem oil and several other newest and best cleaners and oils and do not find they do any better job for me. I do understand that firearms are a big investment and have nothing against using expensive gun oils like CLP if you wish but I have not found them to be required.
    Laus Deo

Those who are willing to trade freedom for security will have neither.
    You alone are responsible for your defense.

I like M-Pro 7 M-Pro7 Gun Oil LPX - MPro7

I'm a cancer survivor so I especially like their cleaner
    I use Pro-7 as a cleaner, Pull the bolt on my AR , drop it in a container of Pro-7. Clean the rest of the rifle. Fetch Bolt Inspect it and the carbon is gone. reassemble

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by medicineball View Post
    Ok, my 2 cents... Forget "gun" oil. It's just something that people buy because they're into guns. A high quality synthetic motor oil is made of better ingredients, is more effective, and is MUCH cheaper. If it can protect a high temp engine at 4k rpm, it can lubricate the moving parts of your gun while it cycles. Ten bucks will buy you a lifetime supply. I prefer Mobil 1.[
    I have used Mobil 1 (one) for many a year for a gun lube. In my Glocks, 1911, BHP, revolvers and my AR's. Never had a problem with excessive wear yet.
    Flashbacks:
    It is better that I have flashbacks about them, then them having flashbacks about me

USMC RET 1961-1971

CLP Products Do Work, The Military tests Lubricants. Whether it makes sense to you or not, the technique of adding a volatile solvent to a lubricating oil is well-proven and well-tested.

It is not impossible to do all three. A volatile solvent can be mixed with an oil. During the cleaning phase the solvent dissolves fouling and crud. Then the volatile solvent evaporates, leaving behind the lubricant and corrosion inhibitors.

Sure. Google for "four ball wear test". Also Google for "gun oil corrosion test".

Further, all the products that pass the military specifications tests have been tested to at least meet the military's specifications (though not necessarily the manufacturers' claims).

I hate to be the one to burst your bubble, but FP-10 is sold as a combined CLP product. It has a decent solvent and it is an adequate cleaning product.

I have no bubble to break and I know what FP10 is marketed as. I did not say FP10 is the best, I just stated what I use like everyone else that posted. In fact FP10 is one of the worst anti rust oils out there, does not do well in any tests that I have reasearched.

My point being is we have products that claim that do it all, like FP10 which IMO is a better lube then rust fighter any day. Thats why I asked my question below in the first post because I use a product that claims all three, lube/anti rust/cleaner and I know its not the best anti rust or cleaner. You may think CLP's work and the claims are true, how good they do each job is another story. One may be a better lube then cleaner etc etc So the questions remains:

"Does anyone have or know of test run on any gun oil to support the claims made? I am interested to know and I am sure others on this post will be to."

And yes I know how to use Google, I asked anyone reading the thread the question that may know more on the subject then a Google search. Maybe we have someone who worked in that area or even in a company who manufactures the stuff.

Justin
    High Noon Holsters
    www.HighNoonHolsters.com

I have been using FP10

Justin
    Ain't a test, per se, but it is the best that I can do-

StoppingPower.net Forums - Synthetic Motor Oils as Small Arms Lubricants

It's a comprehensive review of synthetic motor oils unlike any other I've read.

Hope it helps.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links