Gun oil - Page 4

Gun oil

This is a discussion on Gun oil within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Googling for "four ball wear test gun oil" brings back many results from gun oil and cleaner manufacturers' web pages. Such as this one: Gunslick ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Gun oil

Googling for "four ball wear test gun oil" brings back many results from gun oil and cleaner manufacturers' web pages. Such as this one:

Gunslick

The above lists the contact information for the laboratory that did the testing. I would respectfully encourage you to contact the laboratory.

Please also see the following forum thread:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/arch...p?t-82858.html

BTW, I should have been more specific that I was and am talking about the ASTM d4172 4-ball wear test.
    Last edited by marcclarke; November 10th, 2012 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Added URLs.

Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post

BTW, I should have been more specific that I was and am talking about the ASTM d4172 4-ball wear test.
    Thanks I was unaware of that fact.

Justin

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I've had a bottle of Mobile-1 10/40 for a couple years that I haven't even made a dent in. I've tried some different oils and greases but always come back to it. I still have a case of Rem-Oil spray that works nicely on my clocks.

For cleaning non-blued guns I now use non-chlorinated brake cleaner (careful on some plastics). It has had no ill affects on finish or plastic parts of my HK USP or S&W Sigma, Ruger P-series'. Still have some Hoppes for my blue revolvers.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Quote Originally Posted by High Noon View Post
    Thanks I was unaware of that fact.

Justin
    Welcome.

I seem to be having a lot of trouble communicating clearly today. Sorry about that.

I personally use FP-10 and Tetra gun grease on everything i have (handguns, shotguns, and rifles) except my match M1-Garand, on which I use Shooter's Choice red synthetic grease. I made my personal oil and grease selection based on this clip from the forum thread at Best lubricant for slide/frame contact points? [Archive] - The Firing Line Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton
    Clayton
    September 30, 2001, 06:30 PM

Comparison of weld load points of various lubes, the higher the number, the better the lubricant:

• Break-Free CLP 315kg
    • Super Lube 250kg
    • FP-10 730kg +
    • Tetra Gun grease 800kg
    • Militec-1 800kg
    • TW25B 620kg

Wear test conducted by the Falex Corp., a professional lubricant testing firm. The lower the index number, the better the wear preventive properties of the lube:

• RIG+P #72.1

• Rem Oil #68.3

• G96 Gun Treatment #62.8
    • Break-Free CLP #30.2
    • Prolix #7.0

• Tetra Gun grease #2.1

• Eezox #2.0
    • FP-10 #0.9

Again, these test say nothing about a lubricant's rust preventative properties, temp range, water washout rate, evaporation rate, etc.

Last edited by marcclarke; November 10th, 2012 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Fix numerous typos. :-(

Welcome.

I seem to be having a lot of trouble communicating clearly today. Sorry about that.

I personally use FP-10 and Tetra gun grease on everything i have (handguns, shotguns, and rifles) except my match M1-Garand, on which I use Shooter's Choice red synthetic grease. I made my personal oil and grease selection based on this clip from the forum thread at Best lubricant for slide/frame contact points? [Archive] - The Firing Line Forums

Comparison of weld load points of various lubes, the higher the number, the better the lubricant:
    • Break-Free CLP 315kg
    • Super Lube 250kg
    • FP-10 730kg +
    • Tetra Gun grease 800kg
    • Militec-1 800kg
    • TW25B 620kg
    Wear test conducted by the Falex Corp., a professional lubricant testing firm. The lower the index number, the better the wear preventive properties of the lube:

• RIG+P #72.1

• Rem Oil #68.3

• G96 Gun Treatment #62.8
    • Break-Free CLP #30.2
    • Prolix #7.0

• Tetra Gun grease #2.1

• Eezox #2.0
    • FP-10 #0.9
    Again, these test say nothing about a lubricant's rust preventative properties, temp range, water washout rate, evaporation rate, etc.

That's Ok guys do not communicate well all the time, that's the way we are engineered. I am glad to see some test data coming thru.

This is exactly my point, if you look at that test, FP 10 does well at lubing. Now Look at this anti rust test here, FP 10 does not do well.And it seem to be a very well done test. Corrosion Protection Products for Rifles, Shooting, Benchrest Competition, Varminting and Firearms Storage The Eezox looks to be the winner, now as a lube , it did not do bad from that test above, but not the best. As a cleaner who knows.

I happen to use the Mp pro to clean my guns for the sole fact that there is no odor at all and it seems to do a good job. If anyone hates the odor of what they are using or is in a confined space, check out the MP PRO Cleaner.

My point being, in my experience, if you want the very best for your guns, you may have to cherry pick the products, because if its a CLP ( cleaner ,lube, protecter) they all may not do what they say. No one product seems to be the triple threat.

Thats why I like to :

Use the best lube and whatever else the manufacture claims, who cares.
    Use the best anti rust and whatever else the manufacture claims, who cares.
    Use the best cleaner and whatever else the manufacture claims, who cares.

As for motor oil, I know some may deactivate the primers if it comes in contact with them. You have to oil with something that is harmless to power and primers.

It's been a long standing thing with reloaders if you had a bad batch of ammo you messed up and wanted to get rid of them safely, you soaked them in motor oil to deactivate the primers. So if you are using motor oil as a lube, you may want to check or test to see if it can deactivate the primers, you know like the legendary WD 40 does.

Justin

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    try gun butter

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Complex hi temp grease (doesn't burn off) for bolt carrier group in my DGI AR.

Sig Sauer lubricant/protectant for my handguns and some AR lube points or Strike-Hold protectant/lubricant.

Also use Strike-Hold on my knives.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Quote Originally Posted by High Noon View Post
    I am glad to see some test data coming thru.

Justin
    Now bring some of your own test data numbers to the party, please. I'm pretty grouchy that you managed to con me into running your Google search for you.

Now bring some of your own test data numbers to the party, please. I'm pretty grouchy that you managed to con me into running your Google search for you.
    I like you already! I gave you one up there, here's a gal to keep you entertained while you learn. Ballistol vs Breakfree CLP EXTREME Corrosion & Gunpowder Burn test - FateofDestinee - YouTube

Justin

I tend to use a combination of Hoppes #9 for cleaning followed by Breakfree CLP for lube and protecting (and a little additional cleaning after the Hoppes). I run synthetic motor oil in all my vehicles, so may try some at some point.

When in the dove field with my trusty Beretta 390 or at the rifle range with an AK where I'm putting a lot of lead downrange, I keep a little bottle of Beretta Oil with me for the rails, but it's probably more for me and my peace of mind than for the guns since I've done the work after the last time I'd fired them.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Re: Gun oil

Sig Sauer ships their pistols with a sample and a recommendation to use Mil-Comm TW25B grease on the slide.

George
    Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to

I like Frog Lube Paste. It stays where I put it.

As I like to clean my guns for fun when I am really bored I just use Hoppes Oil and never have any problems. I am sure there are better options if you plan on not shooting or cleaning them very often, but I shoot all but my shot guns about every other week if not more. I clean them after each time I use them. They never appear dry at all. I agree though it is easy to get carried away and use to much.
    Daniel Defense V2 AR15
    Sig P226 TACOPS
    Glock 26
    Diamond Back DB9
    M&P Shield

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links