Bug Out Bag Advice - Page 2

Bug Out Bag Advice

This is a discussion on Bug Out Bag Advice within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was thinking about this last night, I think I've also decided to "sit tight" as long as possible. My major natural disasters possible are ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Bug Out Bag Advice

I was thinking about this last night, I think I've also decided to "sit tight" as long as possible. My major natural disasters possible are only tornados and earthquakes. I dont see a response to those as too far off. Anything else, and I expect to have at least a 24 hr period to assemble my acquired provisions accordingly, while trying to gather as much info as possible. I don't see that possible if I just head for the hills at the first sign of trouble.

Administrator
    Bugging out into the woods with a 3 year old and an 8 month old baby with only food, water, fire and a knife would be insanity.
    With 2 children that young - bugging in would naturally be the first choice.
    Bugging out to a specific safer location such as a remote cabin where more supplies are already cached at that location would be OK.

Bugging out into some forest or woodlands w/ two children that young you had best be humping absolutely every single pound of weight/stuff that you can manage and even at that it should be considered only as a dire rock bottom last resort.

There are multitudes of valid reasons why we all choose to live in houses with roofs over our heads and sheltered from the elements with the necessities of life close at hand. If eeking out survival in the woods was all that fun and easy we would all be living in the deep woods without mortgage payments and property taxes.
    I personally would not bug out into the middle of nowhere with two kids that young unless certain death was the only other option.
    pgrass101 and mulle46 like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    Listen to QK, if you Bug-Out with no place to go you are a refugee, and that is usually not a good thing to be.

If you do not have a place to go and the horde of cannibal bikers are not fast approaching your town, then bugging in is a much better option especially with children that young. I have 3 and 5 year-old boys and I am planning on bugging in if at all possible. I can not carry enough stuff on my back to support my young family for more than a couple of days in the wilds, so I am not going to attempt it unless there is no other choice.
    paullie and QKShooter like this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Listen to QK, if you Bug-Out with mo place to go you are a refugee, and that is usually not a good thing to be.

If you do not have a place to go and the horde of cannibal bikers are not fast approaching your town, then bugging in is a much better option especially with children that young. I have 3 and 5 year-old boys and I am planning on bugging in if at all possible. I can not carry enough stuff on my back to support my young family for more than a couple of days in the wilds, so I am not going to attempt it unless there is no other choice.
    I agree with this^^^^^^^^^

Where I live a tornado would be the only thing that would "make us leave", in that case I have brothers/sisters and parents.
    QKShooter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Bugging out into the woods with a 3 year old and an 8 month old baby with only food, water, fire and a knife would be insanity.
    With 2 children that young - bugging in would naturally be the first choice.
    Bugging out to a specific safer location such as a remote cabin where more supplies are already cached at that location would be OK.

Bugging out into some forest or woodlands w/ two children that young you had best be humping absolutely every single pound of weight/stuff that you can manage and even at that it should be considered only as a dire rock bottom last resort.

There are multitudes of valid reasons why we all choose to live in houses winth roofs over our heads and sheltered from the elements with the necessities of life close at hand. If eeking out survival in the woods was all that fun and easy we would all be living in the deep woods without mortgage payments and property taxes.
    I personally would not bug out into the middle of nowhere with two kids that young unless certain death was the only other option.
    neither would I, but pre-positioned caches could help a lot.
    QKShooter likes this.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Use several different bags...
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

My fiancee, her 14 year old son, and I all carry an Altoids tin with
    25 yards 8 lb test line
    4 fishing hooks
    25 feet 3mm cordage
    Razor blade
    Magnesium stick, flint, and steel
    Small bic lighter
    5 matches with no cover and a small piece of the striking stip
    button compass
    3'x2 sheet' of aluminum foil (making cups, pots, and signal devices)
    small zip lock of cotton balls soaked in vaseline (fire and first aid)
    4 water purification tablets

Then each car has a 1 gallon paint can including more of these items and spaceblankets and other items.

I have a few hides in local woods with gear and clothing, and my 60L back pack is loaded and ready to go at all times.
    Screw carrying toys, they can make toys out of rocks and twigs as we did as kids...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links