Defensive Carry banner

No more Crimson Trace for me

4K views 38 replies 29 participants last post by  Boats54 
#1 ·
I finally made the leap and removed my CT sights from my Kimber Ultra Covert II. I replaced the grips containing the laser with a Hogue grip and man oh man does it feel good. It may not be the prettiest belle at the ball but it's by far the best dancer.

#4 ·
I also don't like the idea of depending on lasers. I understand that the stress levels in a defensive situation can cause one to lose the ability to aim as well as when you are at the range, but if you work the fundamentals in training muscle memory will take over. Lasers or other electronic sights ie red dots on a defensive rifle can fail and you should have the ability to make well places shots without them.

#7 ·
I kinda like the idea of keeping it simple, too. I figure in a SHTF situation, eventually there won't be any more batteries, right? And if it gets really bad and you're out in bad weather or terrain, optics and such can get beat up more than irons.

Having said that, personally I like night sights a whole lot and they're good for over a decade. But, everybody has their preferences. I know there are those who feel that lasers can be a deterrent should you ever have to draw, but with red lasers, and maybe to some extent, green as well (though it's a heck of a lot brighter) they seem really effective in only very low light. Personally, I don't want to train myself to depend on that. But the night sights sure are handy.

Cheers,
Gav

#8 ·
Took the CTs off my SR9c. When I began seriously training they were a distraction, and my combat-cut CBST was not built to accommodate them(by my choice) . I think I would like them on my Airweight.

#11 ·
Now get a Lasermax guide rod laser, and you'll have the best of everything.

Reactions: Kimberpackn
#12 ·
To each his own,I love lasers

#13 ·
I have Crimson Trace on a revolver and LaserMax on a pistol. I do not understand the idea that you have to remove a laser to prevent being dependent on it. I never activate the laser during my regular training. Why remove it? Just leave it turned off so it's still there if the need arises. I do prefer the LaserMax because I don't like how the laser grip feels compared to the stock and certainly not as nice as a Hougue, but I can't figure out how someone who says, "I rarely ever used them." can be worried about, "the idea of depending on them." If you rarely use a laser, how can you become dependent on it? I rarely use mine, but can think of many defensive situations that would make one very useful.

#14 ·
I took them off because I am not dependent on them. I just never used them and I like the way the hogue a feel in my hand.

#19 ·
I have them on my 1911 EDC "just in case".

As others have said, you should train and prepare to be in a situation where you can't use them. But, they are nice to have in case you might need them.

#22 ·
I thought that you were. :biggrin2:

I (for sure) do not think that they are a necessity item but, I can envision some civilian self defensive scenarios where having one could be beneficial. Especially should a defensive scenario take a turn for the worse. I also think that some folks with vision related problems can be helped greatly by having one on their firearm.

Many folks that have one do not use it correctly. They basically want to still use their handgun sights and then verify with the laser dot.
Actually they should not be focused on the firearm at all and both eyes should be focused out on the threat.

Really I do not think the battery issue is an issue at all. Heck...you buy the Crimson Trace grips and they will keep giving you free batteries.
I have one set on a 1911 and (like most folks) do not ever use them though I will occasionally take a couple of laser shots on a paper target just to make certain that they are still spot on.

I think that some of of the smaller mouse guns can benefit from being laser equipped but, as mentioned above for most common civilian defensive situations a laser would likely not be needed.

#24 ·
I thought that you were. :biggrin2:

I (for sure) do not think that they are a necessity item but, I can envision some civilian self defensive scenarios where having one could be beneficial. Especially should a defensive scenario take a turn for the worse. I also think that some folks with vision related problems can be helped greatly by having one on their firearm.

Many folks that have one do not use it correctly. They basically want to still use their handgun sights and then verify with the laser dot.
Actually they should not be focused on the firearm at all and both eyes should be focused out on the threat.

Really I do not think the battery issue is an issue at all. Heck...you buy the Crimson Trace grips and they will keep giving you free batteries.
I have one set on a 1911 and (like most folks) do not ever use them though I will occasionally take a couple of laser shots on a paper target just to make certain that they are still spot on.

I think that some of of the smaller mouse guns can benefit from being laser equipped but, as mentioned above for most common civilian defensive situations a laser would likely not be needed.
BINGO. We have a winner.

All my carry guns have lasers. In case I run out of ammo, I can use it to designate the target for Hellfire missile strikes from the DHS drones I always have orbiting around me. :rofl: Top that, Gecko45!
In all seriousness, there have been so many documented cases of belligerent thugs becoming instantly compliant when lased that I feel it is a worthwhile addition to the arsenal. It's a worthwhile potential advantage, in addition to all the other points raised.

As to the rest...

:coffeenews:

#25 ·
I'm not a mall ninja, a cop, a soldier or a Rambo; just a regular guy who wants to have the best chance of putting hits on target in situations when the iron sights can't be where my eyes can see them. The laser sight is a tool that can enable me to do that. That is why I use one.

#27 ·
I have CT lasers on four of my SD handguns and I use them extensively in my training program. As we age the front sight gets harder and harder to see even with night sights. Before the laser I practiced the point and shoot method, this acquired skill coupled with the laser has reduced my time between the draw, target acquisition and the hit on the target. It does take training because it is hard to overcome the tendency to use the handgun's sights. To perfect any new skill it takes practice and to maintain continued proficiency in the skill it takes continued practice/training.

I don't look at a SD gun as being pretty or ugly, I look at it as a tool to possibly save my life or a family members life.
If beautify was a prime consideration in the purchase of a SD handgun one of the most popular handguns today made in Austria would be, IMO, one of the ugliest.

#30 ·
My experience FWIW: If you are trying to swing across or maintain lead on a moving target in daylight, iron sights are what you need. Doing the same in low light, the laser is better.

#31 ·
Watch this entire Video. It's not that long. 4:00 Minutes.
Especially I would like folks to see VID at about 2:34 Min
You will see how many folks use a laser incorrectly and then decide that they don't like it.
In this VID Todd shoots at a moving target while he is also moving etc.

Watch it and then all comments are (of course) welcome. Try to make sure that they are at least constructive comments though.

#34 ·
I have never used one but after seeing that video I would love to give them a try..... anyone got extra money I can have :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.