No more Crimson Trace for me

This is a discussion on No more Crimson Trace for me within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally made the leap and removed my CT sights from my Kimber Ultra Covert II. I replaced the grips containing the laser with a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: No more Crimson Trace for me

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar

I finally made the leap and removed my CT sights from my Kimber Ultra Covert II. I replaced the grips containing the laser with a Hogue grip and man oh man does it feel good. It may not be the prettiest belle at the ball but it's by far the best dancer.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

2. Remove Ads

Somewhere in the 48 contiguous states of the USA.
    What prompted your decision to remove your Lasergrips?

Quote Originally Posted by crcr3399 View Post
    What prompted your decision to remove your Lasergrips?
    I rarely ever used them. Just didn't like the idea of depending on them.
    jdivence and blitzburgh like this.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

I also don't like the idea of depending on lasers. I understand that the stress levels in a defensive situation can cause one to lose the ability to aim as well as when you are at the range, but if you work the fundamentals in training muscle memory will take over. Lasers or other electronic sights ie red dots on a defensive rifle can fail and you should have the ability to make well places shots without them.
    Kimberpackn likes this.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

Precisely my thoughts

Patrick Henry

Crimson Trace is some good stuff but not the only option Laser Max and keep your grips

I kinda like the idea of keeping it simple, too. I figure in a SHTF situation, eventually there won't be any more batteries, right? And if it gets really bad and you're out in bad weather or terrain, optics and such can get beat up more than irons.

Having said that, personally I like night sights a whole lot and they're good for over a decade. But, everybody has their preferences. I know there are those who feel that lasers can be a deterrent should you ever have to draw, but with red lasers, and maybe to some extent, green as well (though it's a heck of a lot brighter) they seem really effective in only very low light. Personally, I don't want to train myself to depend on that. But the night sights sure are handy.

Cheers,
    Gav

Distinguished Member
    Took the CTs off my SR9c. When I began seriously training they were a distraction, and my combat-cut CBST was not built to accommodate them(by my choice) . I think I would like them on my Airweight.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Crimson Trace is some good stuff but not the only option Laser Max and keep your grips
    I plan on keeping them.

Patrick Henry

Ex Member
    Each to their own.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberpackn View Post
    I finally made the leap and removed my CT sights from my Kimber Ultra Covert II. I replaced the grips containing the laser with a Hogue grip and man oh man does it feel good. It may not be the prettiest belle at the ball but it's by far the best dancer.
    Now get a Lasermax guide rod laser, and you'll have the best of everything.
    Kimberpackn likes this.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    To each his own,I love lasers
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

I have Crimson Trace on a revolver and LaserMax on a pistol. I do not understand the idea that you have to remove a laser to prevent being dependent on it. I never activate the laser during my regular training. Why remove it? Just leave it turned off so it's still there if the need arises. I do prefer the LaserMax because I don't like how the laser grip feels compared to the stock and certainly not as nice as a Hougue, but I can't figure out how someone who says, "I rarely ever used them." can be worried about, "the idea of depending on them." If you rarely use a laser, how can you become dependent on it? I rarely use mine, but can think of many defensive situations that would make one very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutrodoc View Post
    I have Crimson Trace on a revolver and LaserMax on a pistol. I do not understand the idea that you have to remove a laser to prevent being dependent on it. I never activate the laser during my regular training. Why remove it? Just leave it turned off so it's still there if the need arises. I do prefer the LaserMax because I don't like how the laser grip feels compared to the stock and certainly not as nice as a Hougue, but I can't figure out how someone who says, "I rarely ever used them." can be worried about, "the idea of depending on them." If you rarely use a laser, how can you become dependent on it? I rarely use mine, but can think of many defensive situations that would make one very useful.
    I took them off because I am not dependent on them. I just never used them and I like the way the hogue a feel in my hand.

Patrick Henry

I have three sets of Crimson's and will never take them off.
    ~America~ Born July 4th,1776- Died, Election Day 2008

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links