Learning about lock-boxes

This is a discussion on Learning about lock-boxes within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I have a Gunvault nano-safe that I usually keep in my vehicle for when I need to disarm. I have the large model, with ...

Thread: Learning about lock-boxes

So, I have a Gunvault nano-safe that I usually keep in my vehicle for when I need to disarm. I have the large model, with the three number combo lock. Somehow last time I put my pistol in the box, the combination changed.

So, I am now embarking on a quest to find what number it has changed too, and I am about 1/4 of way through the options at 250. According to the manufacturer it takes about 30 minutes to go through all 999 numbers. I think that is a very optimistic estimate.

The main thing I have learned so far: It was much easier to get the cable out of the box than I expected. Really I just needed to use my leatherman and under a minute to take the cable out, and remove the lockbox from the car. Once it it out of the car, it is only a matter of time before the box is defeated. If I wasn't trying to keep it intact, I would already be in the box.

I will go ahead and update this later, hopefully after I get into the box.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Lead Moderator
    That sucks . I had a cheaper clamshell style mini safe that the key would not work anymore. Broke a key off in the lock. I was amazed just how quick I could defeat the lock with the simplest of tools.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Sponsored Links