Am I the only one? - Page 2

Am I the only one?

This is a discussion on Am I the only one? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Batteries are cheap. Change them every year....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Am I the only one?

Batteries are cheap. Change them every year.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

I'm on it. Wait... batteries to what?
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

I'm with Anglico. Adding batteries to it adds another element. Also, changing holsters
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I'm on it. Wait... batteries to what?
    I think they must be talking about smoke detectors.

Ps; I don't care for lasers either. I do, however like Trijicons.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I don't like the factory laser on the P238. It requires another motion to turn it on with the switch in front of the trigger guard. I sold that one and bought a Crimson trace with the switch just below the trigger. Love it. I also like the Crimson Trace grip on my S&W .38 Airweight. If you don't like a laser after you have tried it, then don't buy one. For people who have never tried them, don't knock it. I carry either gun with the laser and I test the laser when I holster it in the morning and again when I take it off. I draw and dry fire in the shop for good practice. In bright sunshine, the laser is hard to impossible to find so I practice with iron sights outside. If you see the laser, it is instinctive for aiming, either hand, both hands, or upside down between your legs. The main thing is to practice until it becomes natural. "The hole goes where the dot is."
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Administrator
    "From what I was told by an instructor you should line up your sights and then hit the laser before you shoot kinda of like a checker to make sure you are on site."

Actually that would be incorrect information that you were given. When using a laser you do not look at your handgun sights & in fact your eyes are not focused on the firearm at all.
    Your eyes should only be focused out on the deady threat because your front sight is ON the threat in the form of the laser dot.
    . <~~~Do you like the way I did that?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    call me Mr. Iron Sites

it can be difficult to get used to the laser dot wobbling all over the target, and you will frustrate yourself (IMO) if you try and get the dot dead steady exactly where you want to hit. plus, every time you trigger off a shot, the laser disappears upwards with the gun's recoil, and it takes time to reacquire and re-target.

again. imo, the laser's primary benefits are to those who have difficulty using iron sights, and for those occasions when you cannot bring the gun to eye level to use iron sights.

i didn't like mine enough to practice and adapt to it. i suspect it takes a different approach, and that those of us who were brought up with traditional sights may have trouble adjusting.

personally, i would prefer a mini-red dot sight which was mounted on the slide and/or in the rear sight dovetail. S&W has just announced a new series of M&P semi-autos with a factory mini-red dot sight, plus a higher, co-witnessing front sight. i can hardly wait.

I'm with sensei2, I don't personally feel that I want to train with and come to depend on it. I do think it's fun, and have found some training applications for it, but I appreciate the comment about batteries. Especially in a SHTF situation, there will eventually be no more batteries anyway.

And, like any sights, it's zeroed for a particular range and though it's not probably significant for COM shots at handgun range, say, it's not like the bullet will always go exactly where the dot is. I do think that if you have a weapon set up for low light, a laser could be an important feature. I have a green laser which is bright, but still, in direct sunlight, forget it.

Guess it just depends on what you want it to do for you and how you're going to use it.

Tried a set of Crimson Trace grips on a carry gun. Didn't like them them and they now have a new home.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    My wife has a lazer on her P238 and used it during dry fire exercises to learn better trigger control. She could see what was happening to her aim point just before the click. It was easier than at the range when she was anticipating the bang. Now she's much more comfortable at the range.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farmermom View Post
    I have tried shooting with laser sites and I don't like them. I learned to shoot with plain old iron sites.
    I find the laser beam to be very distracting. Am I the only one that doesn't like them?
    A laser is a tool, just like a gun, a tac light, pepper spray, a baton, or what have you. The laser has it's uses, such as shooting in low light, where iron sights aren't as easy to use, or for people with a visual impairment, or for shooting from retention, or a position that doesn't allow for full extension to use the iron sights. Yes irons are going to be faster, and usually preferred if you have the option to sue them, but in a self-defense situation, you may not always have that luxury. You don't necessarily have to like a laser sight, or even like a gun, but if you end up needing one, it's nice to have at that moment.

Quote Originally Posted by farmermom View Post
    I have tried shooting with laser sites and I don't like them. I learned to shoot with plain old iron sites.
    I find the laser beam to be very distracting. Am I the only one that doesn't like them?
    I don't care for them as lasers work BOTH WAYS! Why identify yourself to the perp?
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I can see how the laser would be a usefull tool. Consider it's training applications too. You can practice dry firing or loading snap caps into a live mag at the range and see how much your flinch affects your aim.
    Walk softly ...

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dawei View Post
    I don't care for them as lasers work BOTH WAYS! Why identify yourself to the perp?
    In most cases if you're using the weapon with a laser for self-defense with a laser, the BG already knows you're there. If you're sneaking up on someone to shoot them, it's not self defense.
    QKShooter likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links