Am I the only one?

This is a discussion on Am I the only one? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am old school as well no lasers for me. I never even had night sights till 5 years ago and I have carried for ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Am I the only one?

I am old school as well no lasers for me. I never even had night sights till 5 years ago and I have carried for 40 years.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

2. Remove Ads

This reminds me of when I was a navigator in the Air Force. Modern aircraft have some pretty advance navigation and targeting systems that make the job much easier. However, after becoming proficient with those systems we would regularly practice with degraded systems, sometimes to the point of just a compass, watch, and airspeed indicator. If we ever went to war, I'd plan to use everything available, but know that I could still get the job done with less if needed.

For target shooting, there's much more satisfaction with the challenge of using only iron sights. There's value in using lasers for dry-fire practice to see if you're pulling the weapon off the target. For a self-defense situation, I want everything that improves my odds.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blanco64 View Post
    This reminds me of when I was a navigator in the Air Force. .
    Hey, I was a Master Navigator in the AF...We won't go into the contraction of that title that I was called on occasion...
    blanco64 likes this.

Re: Am I the only one?

The only time I use mine is at home at night when something goes bump in the night. The strobe light comes on and so does the laser.

George
    Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to

Quote Originally Posted by farmermom View Post
    I have tried shooting with laser sites and I don't like them. I learned to shoot with plain old iron sites.
    I find the laser beam to be very distracting. Am I the only one that doesn't like them?
    Same here.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

RAL
    I learned how to shoot before lasers. Lasers are wonderful tools in certain circumstances. We should know how to shoot with and without lasers (one should never rely 100% on batteries).

I exercise my dogs early in the morning before the sun comes up. My dogs LOVE to chase laser dots, frisbees, and balls. If it's a red dot morning, I usually use a pen laser, but if a BG threatened . . . heaven help him . . . he will first be, at least, knocked down by two large dogs running as fast as they can. A follow up of lead depends on the BG's willingness to leave me and mine alone. Same goes for coyotes and other aggressors.

A gun with a laser can be a very useful tool - entertaining too.
    BamaT likes this.
    I know Whose I am. I know where I'm going. I know the job I'm to do while I'm here. I am an ambassador. This is not my home.

Evil prospers when good people to do nothing. Please don't turn your back. ACT!

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I always said God help any BG in my home if I hit 'em with the green laser on my gun. He'll have to fend of a dozen cats before I even get off a shot.
    RAL, BamaT and Paymeister like this.

lasers are only accurate for the distance they are zeroed for. Not like iron sights.

I guess I'm going to have to be the odd man out here. I think lasers are a tremendous shooting aid. I find that I can get on target faster and deliver follow up shots faster when I can use the laser. The wobbling dot doesn't bother me as I am trying to group COM or Head rather than Bullseye. Over all I find that I can group tighter and with better speed when using the laser in SD type drills. The only time I find the iron sights to be as fast as the laser is at close range when I use only the front sight to index the weapon onto the target. The ability to shoot accurately from unusual positions ( and to do so without having your head behind the gun for iron sight alignment ) is possibly the biggest advantage of the laser after the low light shooting capability it provides.

I practice with iron sights as much as I do with the laser so as not to lose that skill ( as many here have pointed out - the laser is not a good tool in bright sunlight ). I agree that the laser sight would be the weak link mechanically in an iron sighted handgun system ( batteries, plastic construction etc. ), but I think its assets outweigh its liabilities by a considerable margin. It adds capabilities that iron sights don't have. As for developing a weakness ( loss of iron sight skills ) because of over dependence on the laser - I just make sure to practice with both.

There are things I don't like about laser sights. I would not want one that I had to consciously turn on ( switch or button ) before it could be employed. ( The CT Laser automactically activates on my G17 when I grip the gun. ) The CT Laser on my G17 is almost in the way ( I have large hands ) when I rack the slide.

Anyway, my set up works great for me and improves the capabilities of my firearm IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by fettuicine View Post
    lasers are only accurate for the distance they are zeroed for. Not like iron sights.
    umm, come again?
    RAL and lchamp like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    umm, come again?
    +1
    This is the way it makes sense to me:

Iron sights ( fixed or adjustable ) are sighted in for a specific distance, the same as a laser sight mounted directly above or below the bore. At other distances there will be a vertical offset for either type of sight. A laser ( or any other sight ) mounted with a horizontal relationship to the bore will also have a horizontal offset at distances other than the distance at which it is sighted. In practical useage this makes little difference over pistol shooting distances ( 25 yards or so ). I sight my laser in at 15 yards on a 9mm pistol. From 0 - 25 yards the POI doesn't vary more than an inch or so ( I haven't actually measured it ). The laser and iron sights work the same in this regard. The primary difference between the two systems ( other than the obivious low light issue ) as regards aiming, is that the laser requires you to look for the dot on the target; iron sights require an alignment of the rear and front sight in relation to the target. Both systems place hits accurately ( or not ) depending on how well the shooter handles the gun.
    RAL and GlassWolf like this.

Absolutely. There's always a parallax to account for in zeroing, regardless of sight location. That's one reason the guide-rod lasers are nice. They minimize that offset between bore axis and laser axis. Many iron sight makers even offer front sights with various heights to account for that zeroing that you mentioned. I know my Walther's Trijicons are a #4 height for the front, for example.

Anyway, a laser is just a tool. It allows you to shoot in low light, from retention when not fully extended where you would otherwise be able to use iron sights, and from other unorthodox positions that don't allow for use of irons, like from behind a barricade for instance. For these things, it's a good tool. If you can use your irons, do it. Fast target aquisition, and good accuracy when you can do it. I've seen people who can shoot with amazing accuracy with a Glock with no sights on it at all, using a point method. Do what works for you, but don't rule out a laser simply because you don't understand how it can be a useful tool. A weapon mounted tac light is a great tool, too. It allows you to strobe or light your path or target, the bright, narrow beam of white light silhouettes a set of iron sights amazingly well in low light when you can extend and use the sights.. It's another tool. It doesn't replace a laser, or iron sights either.

Use whatever works for you.
    RAL likes this.

VIP Member
    Laser sights aren't everyone's cup of tea. I personally don't care for them. When it comes to shooting, I like the K.I.S.S. principle.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links