Browning Vault Door Questions

This is a discussion on Browning Vault Door Questions within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings from Kabul Afghanistan, Iím currently having a house built with a vault added in for both gun storage and a tornado shelter. Iíve already ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chuck R.

Thread: Browning Vault Door Questions

Greetings from Kabul Afghanistan, Iím currently having a house built with a vault added in for both gun storage and a tornado shelter. Iíve already had the rough opening made for the Browning Vault Door dimensions, but am having trouble find out IF their vault door can be locked from the inside.

Does anybody have any experience with the Browning or Prosteel Vault doors?

http://www.prosteel.us/prosteel-secu...tra-vault-door

Iíve sent emails to both Browning and Prosteel (manufacturer) and am waiting for their responses. I've been unable to find any directions or manuals on line, except for the installation instructions.

I'm hoping to find an owner that has some experience with it. I rotate back home in a week, but I'd like to get it on order if it will meet my requirements.

Thanks,

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

2. Remove Ads

I know Fort Knox can be unlocked from the inside, which means it can be unlocked from there also. they also have swing in doors and swing out doors. I happen to be looking into this right now.

I think most good makers will include that option in case someone gets locked in. Most likely its a standard thing.

Justin.
    High Noon Holsters
    www.HighNoonHolsters.com

Justin,

From what Iíve been told by one salesman, and another vault door/safe company, most safes/vault doors are not designed to be locked from within. Which is funny because most companies advertise as a panic room/storm shelter deal.

The handle on the inside they tell me is to unlock, if you get locked in accidentally, not to lock it once youíre in.

I had the entire underside of the garage (3 car) turned into a vault/shelter by reinforcing the walls and ceiling with extra rebar, and it's below grade. Now Iíve just got to find a doorÖ..

It looks like it would be pretty simple to rig some sort of cross bar system to keep it closed once in, but Iíd rather just get what Iím after from the get-go if possible.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Keep in mind that you want a shelter door to swing in just in case debris falls in front of it on the outside. Structure collapse against a door that swings out pretty much leaves you at the mercy of someone finding you and moving the obstruction.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Keep in mind that you want a shelter door to swing in just in case debris falls in front of it on the outside. Structure collapse against a door that swings out pretty much leaves you at the mercy of someone finding you and moving the obstruction.
    Any recommendations?

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

i use to build Browning safes and doors 20yrs ago at Pro Steel but they've made a zillion changes since then. you have any friends or family in Utah? have them go to the factory and have a look. they've got a show room and will take you to the assembly line. But it seems like it should be an easy enough question for a salesman to answer over the phone. and an "I'm not sure" kind of answer from them would make me look elsewhere as well. I can certainly understand wanting to get this figured out before it's installed. that's near impossible to undo.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    Justin,

From what I’ve been told by one salesman, and another vault door/safe company, most safes/vault doors are not designed to be locked from within. Which is funny because most companies advertise as a panic room/storm shelter deal.

The handle on the inside they tell me is to unlock, if you get locked in accidentally, not to lock it once you’re in.

Chuck
    It gets confussing quick, but if you have a threat outside of the door, it needs to be locked from the inside and then unlocked as needed. Most who build something like this are not just using it as a gun safe, its a mini shelter, just in case. I did not do a vast amount of reasearch but I think a call to all companies would get us our answers.

Some cool pictures here Gun Vault Installation (5 big photos) - THR

Justin

Justin
    High Noon Holsters
    www.HighNoonHolsters.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    Any recommendations?

Chuck
    Here is one of many sources for safe room/security doors.

Safe Room Doors,Safe Doors, Security Doors, Safe Room Door, Security Door, BALLISTIC DOORS

Update:

Got this reply from the Prosteel guys, makers of Browning safes, and Vault doors:

ďI spoke with my engineers today. You can put a mechanical lock on the
    vault door, however, in order for the door to be locked, the bolts in
    the door must be extended and the dial on the lock has to be turned.
    Simple answer, no, you cannot lock the vault door from the inside when
    using a mechanical lock.Ē

Since they advertise this as a potential panic room/storm shelter door, itís kind of puzzling that you can lock it from the inside. From the ProSteel site:

ďDesigned for both commercial and residential applications, the ProSteel Ultra Vault Door provides the ultimate in security and protection. With the Ultra Vault Door, you can turn a room into a vault, security room, home safe or panic room.Ē

I did some research and figured out exactly what I was looking for, which is primarily a storm/tornado door that would double as a vault door. Iíve already got a large safe that will be inside the vault for the high-dollar guns.

I decided to go with a vault door from the Sturdy Safe company:

Vault Door : Sturdy Safe

with some upgrades such as fire lining, panic button, in-swing opening, stainless steel upgrade and keyed lock. Should be delivered in about 5 weeks and Iíll post an update once itís installed. Between this, the 8Ē poured concrete with rebar reinforcement, secondary safe, and alarm system, we should be ďOKĒ.

Chuck
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    homo homini lupus est

Update, Sturdy Safe Company vault door arrived, and has been partially installed.

One surprising thing I learned when shopping for a vault door is that most are not designed to be locked from the inside. Which since a lot of them were advertised as a panic room/storm shelter was sort of strange. There are quite a few, that will make a custom door, but theyíre often in the 4-5K range. I also was looking for something with a mechanical lock and inswing, incase debris blocked the outside we could still get out and. Again a lot of vault door folks didnít make an inswing model, some lockable from the inside required an electronic lock. There are a couple manufactures in TX and CA, that were reasonable, but neither had stellar reviews (actually both had some pretty bad reviews).

What I went with was a ďSturdy Safe CompanyĒ vault door with fireproofing, inswing, mechanical lock, panic button, and SS reinforcing plate. It came out very reasonable at a little over $2200 delivered.

Vault Door : Sturdy Safe

It arrived yesterday, and installation following their instructions was a breeze. Well, as much of a ďbreezeĒ as moving a 650lb door can be.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Very nice! Thanks for the update.

Think you really need 12" concrete?

Beautiful set-up!

And now, at $2,200 it could be the cheapest thing in that room with the current mad house pricing frenzy! Congrats and keep us updated on the final look.

Links