Looking for MRE ideas

This is a discussion on Looking for MRE ideas within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As Alex_C just mentioned, people will use a lot of water during emergencies. It's best to have a good supply of stored water for your ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Looking for MRE ideas

As Alex_C just mentioned, people will use a lot of water during emergencies. It's best to have a good supply of stored water for your home supply when bugging in.

One fact you can not discard is that water is heavy. It weighs 8.35 lbs per gallon. So when going mobile, you should carry a small amount but have at least two or three methods of purifying lots of water on the go.

Remember when storing at home, large storage barrels will weigh a lot and be hard to move. Right now, we store about 75 gallons to have on hand. I have two 30 gallon water barrels, two 5 gallon plastic jerry cans and two 2.5 gallon plastic jerry cans. I went with the 30 gallon water barrels because they are easier to move around when full. Each 30 gallon water barrel weigh over 250 lbs plus the weight of the plastic barrel. They can be moved fairly easy if needed with a two wheeled hand truck, or can be rolled on their edge with a little muscle and back energy. A 55 gallon barrel would weigh more than 460 lbs. We add product called Aerobic 7 to all our water storage and it keeps the water safe to drink for 5 years without rotation. When we moved, I tried my water which had been stored for right at 5 years before dumping it for the move. It tasted as fresh as when I filled them.

The 2.5 and 5 gallon jerry cans are used to carry around smaller amounts of water to use inside the house. Or, I can put them in the truck if bugging out.

The most important thing is that you should do careful planning and research when acquiring your food and water storage reserves.
    pgrass101 likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    If you are staying home during the emergency, even with no new water you have a large storage device in your basement-the water heater. It will empty via gravity out the drain spigot.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    In my day they were called sea rations and some the were opened in 1958 had Lucky Strike smokes with the green circle instead of red so that made them early 40s that being said I think Mountain House has good selection and not to bad. My son said MREs stand for meals refused by everyone but he still has some on hand

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    Any comments on Wise meals, LA Police occasionally runs deals on those and I have almost ordered. Curious what you all think.
    My dad and I fired up a pack of the pasta this weekend. I must say that I was pretty impressed by it considering it's something that carries a 25 year shelf life! You can also get a sample from them. Wise Food Storage - Emergency, Long Term, and Camping Meals Click on "Emergency Meals" then "Try a sample." I haven't done a lot of price shopping on these things but I have sampled the food. It would most definitely work.

Add: I do have some Mountain House too but haven't ripped into that one yet so no opinion here on the taste. I guess I should though, 2017 is coming up quick. I do like the bulk packaging from Wise though.
    Last edited by mprp; November 19th, 2012 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Add
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member
    Mountain House does have some stuff in #10 cans if you are feeding and army and also have 7 day kits I believe, but nothing like the Wise kits that I've seen.

I always make sure to try at least one of each meal I'm going to store because I want to make sure it's something I'll be able to eat when the time comes. I don't want to be stuck with horrible tasting food that I can't eat.

I've also had Backpackers Pantry and Natural High freeze dried stuff and it's not bad but a couple of entrees were really salty, unfortunately I forget which ones now. I do remember the Chicken Enchilada from NH was good. If you have an REI or other camping store near buy you can buy individual pouches to try.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Senior Moderator
    This is true, I have 5 55gallon rain barrels hooked up to my gutters, they are impossible for me to move when they are full.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Remember when storing at home, large storage barrels will weigh a lot and be hard to move. Right now, we store about 75 gallons to have on hand. I have two 30 gallon water barrels, two 5 gallon plastic jerry cans and two 2.5 gallon plastic jerry cans. I went with the 30 gallon water barrels because they are easier to move around when full. Each 30 gallon water barrel weigh over 250 lbs plus the weight of the plastic barrel. They can be moved fairly easy if needed with a two wheeled hand truck, or can be rolled on their edge with a little muscle and back energy. A 55 gallon barrel would weigh more than 460 lbs. We add product called Aerobic 7 to all our water storage and it keeps the water safe to drink for 5 years without rotation. When we moved, I tried my water which had been stored for right at 5 years before dumping it for the move. It tasted as fresh as when I filled them.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Mountain House and other freeze dried options are good. So too are Augason Farms offerings.

MRE's are fine until you get older. They don't always work out so well then, pun intended. Having said that, we do keep just a few around.

Something to know about Wise food offerings. They don't use real meat or poultry in their foods. TVP is what is used for protein. Also, once you contact them, they keep calling and emailing you back for months and months afterwards. Word to the wise.

Ha. Get some tabasco sauce and stay away from the peanut butter unless you don't want to poop for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Something to know about Wise food offerings. They don't use real meat or poultry in their foods. TVP is what is used for protein.
    Hence why they have a 25 year shelf life.

Administrator
    WISE foods are just starting to offer real meat entrees. Just FYI.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

You can get fresh one's test date 10/12 on ebay for 50 bucks and 20-25 shipping!

OK so the other night I ripped into a pack of Mountain House Chile Mac with Beef while we were hanging out at the camp fire at my place. Pulled out the old single burner Coleman, boiled a couple of cups of water, added to pouch and voila! I must say that I was impressed with the taste. In fact it was really good. Kind of reminded me of Fritos Chile Cheese Corn Chips. I'll be getting more.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    My wife and I have eaten plenty of Mountain House meals over the years we have backpacked. I have to agree that they are some of the more savory options available.

WiseFood

Quote Originally Posted by brownsbacker View Post
    I wanted to buy a couple of cases of mre's for emergencies and don't have any past experience with them. Can I get some suggestions from the forum crowd ?.
    WiseFood is a company that manufactures delicious ready made meals in foil packages. They will even mail you a free sample to try. They sent me mine and me, my son and neighbor scarfed down Beef Stroganoff. It was delicious!

Frado

I get my MRE's here: Armygear.net -- MRE (Meal Ready to Eat)--Case of 12

No0t the best cuisine, but they are edible. But like the other guy said, forget the cheese omelet!
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links