Looking for MRE ideas - Page 3

Looking for MRE ideas

This is a discussion on Looking for MRE ideas within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Army issue ones are proven to hold up well, they are packed well. They will fill you up. They have a lot of verity ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Looking for MRE ideas

The Army issue ones are proven to hold up well, they are packed well. They will fill you up.
    They have a lot of verity now .
    I have lived off them at times not by choice

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The MRESTAR Pound Cake is really good.

Folks should also be made aware of the fact selling MILITARY MREs to civilians is an illegal act.

I beleive that selling MRE's that have been stolen from the military is Illegal. but our commissary has Military MRE's on sale all the time. they sell them for $7.00 a meal.
    Flashbacks:
    It is better that I have flashbacks about them, then them having flashbacks about me

USMC RET 1961-1971

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Another option is rice. It will last forever as long as its properly stored and no moisture gets to it.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

cj
    In the past I've ended up with the A-case ones, and they aren't too bad and include the fun self-heating packs inside so you can actually have it heated up wherever you are. Those were stashed around in places for short-term emergencies...such as in the cars during winter where it's not inconceivable to end up spending a cold night stranded somewhere.

I've also gotten some cans of the Mountain House stuff, and the Wise buckets (tested out some of the packs from Wise, and they were pretty darn good).

White rice, vegetable oil, and lots of water.

It will keep you alive, and it's cheap.

Ex Member
    MRE's are good for 7-9 years. Mountain House freeze dried 25+ years. I got the Mountain House.

Cool DIY instant meals

Mountain House and Richmoor taste pretty decent, but the cost runs $5 to 7 per serving. I find it works out to make my own meals, relying on the site
    Welcome to TrailCooking.com and FreezerBagCooking.com | Trail Cooking their recipes involve rice or pasta, dried soup, and meat. my standard meal is a cup of instant rice, a cup of Knorr dried potato soup, and some slabs of jerky chopped up. you make the dried mix at home, in a one-qt freezer ziploc. in the field, you heat 2 cups water to the boil on your Jetboil or other stove, chop up some jerky, then add jerky and boiling water to the ziploc bag. after stirring vigorously, you seal the bag and put it in an insulated cozy. I use the sleeve of an old fleece jacket, inside a bubble wrap envelope. then, wait 7 or 8 minutes, pour in enough hot sauce
    to kill the flavor, and dig in with your spork. one great feature is nothing to wash except the spork. the ziploc goes in the garbage sack, and my dogs usually lick the spork clean. I have tested these at outdoor festivals, and 7 of 10 samplers say that it does not taste as disgusting as it looks.
    I find I can eat these 5 or 6 days in a row, then I splurge with a mountain house meal.
    the trailfood web site has a bunch of recipes, plus they have a good book.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links