Night sights for 4" 1911?

This is a discussion on Night sights for 4" 1911? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm on the verge of changing my every day carry gun, a very traumatic experience, but I've never been in love with my HK USP ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Night sights for 4" 1911?

I'm on the verge of changing my every day carry gun, a very traumatic experience, but I've never been in love with my HK USP Compact. I have a 4" S&W 1911 that will be my new carry gun. What night sites do you recommend? I want
    something bigger for a front sight, not that rotten little bead that the gun came with. I'm having the sights shipped here from the states and installed by a professional. I don't want to paint my sights, or anything like that.

Thanks for the advice.

jb

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I have Trijicon night sights on both of my guns, a Springfield Loaded Champion (4" 1911) and an FNP 40. They glow like Chernobyl.

And hey, be safe over there.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

It's tough to get much bigger than a AO 24/7 Big Dot! Don't know how old you are, but they're mighty easy to spot without wearing my reading glasses. And I really LIKE your Avatar, there are still (regardless of the current political climate) plenty of U.S. Citizens who remain firmly allied with Israel.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    I have Trijicon night sights on both of my guns, a Springfield Loaded Champion (4" 1911) and an FNP 40. They glow like Chernobyl.

And hey, be safe over there.
    +1 - except mine is a Rock Island 4" (with Wilson Combat innerds).
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I carry a Colt Combat Commander and installed Big Dot nite sights,the big white circle shows up during daytime and at night it' looks like a small green i
    XS Sight Systems - Home
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thanks everyone. I'm 45, and my eyes are fine so far, no glasses yet except for reading/starting at computer displays 18 hours a day. I have Trijicons on my HK; I wish that I could try out that big dot somehow, but the 1911 in .45 ACP is largely unknown over here. This is a .556 and 9mm zone.

Thanks for the support too. Israel and America should be partners in all things, but Barry O seems to have his own ideas of what the world should look like.

jb
    KBSR likes this.

XS 24/7 Big Dot sights on my Colt officers 45.They are the best fast acquisition sights I have found for my aging eyes.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I just had meprolight sights put on my RIA officer model and its taking some getting used to.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

What ever you choose, Trijicons, Meprolights, TFO's, AO's, are all good.

IMO, any other addition to a fighting handgun is gadgetry and doesn't need to be hanging off a gun unless you are part of a team...but the night sight is a very sensible thing to do.
    Not absolutely necessary but sensible.
    pistola likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    I have big dots on 2 guns, green/green trijicon on 3 guns and green/orange meprolights on one. They all work great, but the one I like the best for get out of bed, low/no light is the green/orange. If the green dot is between the orange dots, you are lined up.

It is possible, with a green/green set-up to put the front sight to the side of the rears and think you are lined up when you are not. Also, the orange glows dimmer than the green so the eye is drawn to the front sight. The big dots are my second favorite set-up.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

That's great advice ksholder. Thanks. The Trijicon site has bewildering number of choices, and I have Green-Green sights on my HK. Orange-Green is definitely worth investigating. I'm not that interested in 3am jump out of bed scenarios. I carry everywhere, and I'm also what I guess you'd call an auxillary police officer in the states. I'm out a lot at night.

Thanks again

jb

MJK
    I have XS Big Dots on my EDC's, a G36 and a G21sf. You can't shoot moa groups with them, but they are lightning fast to acquire inside 10 yards and get the job done!
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

The Big Dot sights have always intrigued me. I've never used them, but it doesn't look like they're available for my S&W 4" 1911: XS Sight Systems - Sights only shows 5" 1911 sights.

I have Meprolights that came on my Kimber pro raptor (4" 1911). I have been pretty dang impressed with how bright they are.

No, they are not huge dots; but they're pretty easy to pick up in low to no light situations.

I have meprolights on my Kimber pro carry and they glow like an alien. Plenty easy to pick out in dark or even somewhat dark light
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links