Girl Doesn't Need a Gun For This Thief

This is a discussion on Girl Doesn't Need a Gun For This Thief within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; San Francisco Woman Apprehends Burglar with Bear Spray, Live-tweets the Incident | Work + Money - Yahoo! Shine Notice the shot at Texas one of ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Bstock87
  • 1 Post By Rock and Glock
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm

Thread: Girl Doesn't Need a Gun For This Thief

VIP Member

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

That idiot that called it assault is... well, an idiot.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Don't take that comment out on me! If I lived in Texas, I'd consider it a compliment!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Makes me laugh the way people perceive Texas, but they'd probably laugh at the way I perceive California as I've never been there.
    Arborigine likes this.

Good for her... I now keep wasp spray in my vehicles and near all garage entrances... Won't paint the perps orange but will disable them long enough for LEO's to take them away... No problems going in and out of military bases either...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

GOOD FOR HER.As far as using something that is not designed or has a warning against being used on Humans,You could be setting yourself up for a lawsuit if you used Wasp Spray and blinded the guy or caused him to have vision problems,In a life or Death situation I'm in the "use whatever you got camp" but the less stuff you give a prosecutor or the BG's attorney to try to nail you with the better off you are
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    Yahoo! Shine reached out to Yu, but she did not respond for comment. "Thx everyone for the interest," she tweeted this morning, "but I have not & will not speak or comment to the media abt this. It's still an active police investigation."
    She's on the right track about keeping her trap shut during an active case. Though, she's "tweeting" and posting about it anyway.

It's also California. I'm sure the criminal's going to get some legal advice that'll consider the lying-in-wait aspect of her claims. Set a trap, waited his arrival, then sprung it on him. Hopefully, such claims from the defendant won't happen. He's getting everything he deserved, IMO, but she might well learn the value of keeping her trap shut until the case is over.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    What can I say? Guns just aren't for everyone. If she is not willing to own and train w/ a handgun, then that is what she should have. But good for her on surviving.

Other tweeters thought Yu's actions were unnecessary, even crazy. One wrote: "This is assault. Cops can't beat suspected criminals who are fleeing, and citizens can't blast them with bear spray. He had a knife? Please. You mean the one he opens packages with? Sonya was not in physical danger. . . y'all are a bunch of Texans if you think this violence is justified."
    mprp likes this.

Ugly set of lib responses by the "twits," eh R&G? Unsurprising, really.

One wrote: "This is assault. Cops can't beat suspected criminals who are fleeing, and citizens can't blast them with bear spray.
    This was halting a crime in progress. Appropriate levels of force most certainly can lawfully be used to halt crimes in progress ... both with LE and citizens.

"Had a knife ... please. You mean the one he opens packages with?"
    Yup, that would be the one. I open packages with mine, too. And it can rip out a throat faster than some might imagine. A bit of pepper spray to avoid such a thing seems to make one heck of a lot of sense.

Sonya was not in physical danger. . . y'all are a bunch of Texans if you think this violence is justified."
    Arguable, perhaps. But then, she was at a place she had every right to be, had caught a criminal in the act, and was faced with stopping the crime against her. Pepper spray isn't hardly violent force upon a person, though it's certainly attention-grabbing from the criminal's perspective. Which is the whole point: appropriate force to stop the crime.

Well done, I'd say.

Toss the book at him. Inform him in simple, easy-to-understand words that he's not wanted in their community, that crimes won't be tolerated. Remind him that, with all the heavily-armed citizens living in the community, crimes against residents can be a very risky proposition. Ask him whether he'd have preferred facing an armed resident, instead of merely being sprayed like a dog (bear).
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Ugly set of lib responses by the "twits," eh R&G? Unsurprising, really.
    And unsurprising that it's the DailyMail in the U.K. that's so heavily advertising those twit tweets. The more things change, the more some things stay the same. Ah, well.

As a Texan I'd say the burglar and the person that made the comment are both idiots, guess he doesn't know Texans don't carry bear spray,we carry guns!
    A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hand.
    SENECA the younger
    Roman stoic philosopher
    4 B.C. - 65 A.D.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleycolt View Post
    As a Texan I'd say the burglar and the person that made the comment are both idiots, guess he doesn't know Texans don't carry bear spray,we carry guns!
    Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Don't take that comment out on me! If I lived in Texas, I'd consider it a compliment!
    Well, said, mprp. Considering San Fransiscans, consider one's Texas comment a compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    "Had a knife ... please. You mean the one he opens packages with?"
    Yup, that would be the one. I open packages with mine, too. And it can rip out a throat faster than some might imagine.
    TSA agrees with this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Links