red dot with reticle?

This is a discussion on red dot with reticle? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just got my first AR 15. A SW M&P 15 with the flip up magpul sights. SW15.jpg SW15.2.jpg Was thinking of getting a red dot ...

Thread: red dot with reticle?

red dot with reticle?

Just got my first AR 15. A SW M&P 15 with the flip up magpul sights.
    SW15.jpgSW15.2.jpg

Was thinking of getting a red dot sight but then looked at the scope on my old Ruger 10/22. Don't know much at all about sights for these type guns, totally new to this. Do any of you know any red dot sights that have a reticle so you can still use it if the battery dies? Maybe with some magnification? Or a very short scope with 3-4x magnification? Quick target acquisition, versatility, and cheap.

2. Remove Ads

All the red dots I know of take batteries. The aimpoint comp m4s battery life is like 2-4 years or so. If you want something with magnification and no battery look at an ACOG

Millet DMR scope is a 1-4x, and while a little crude, the reticle can still be used if the battery dies.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

A 'DOT' sight without batteries:

Amazon.com: Meprolight Mepro 21 Reflex Sight, Black, 1x30 - M21 Reflex Bullseye Reticle - ML96630: Sports & Outdoors

http://www.meprolight.com/default.asp?catid={FB082B33-316B-4335-BFDE-CB5789562D8C}&details_type=1&itemid={FD44627E-1FD3-4811-969B-D59CE751DD4A}

The only complaint I have heard is aiming from a dark building into bright target light.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    All the red dots I know of take batteries. The aimpoint comp m4s battery life is like 2-4 years or so. If you want something with magnification and no battery look at an ACOG
    Acog is the ticket but many will hit the floor when they see the price they want cheap not effective.
    Red Dots are for fast Reflex fire, not pin point tack driving shots, There is a big difference between a 40 dollar sporting goods store one and a M68 or MARS type Red Dot.
    Are they worth the difference in cost? That is up to you and your needs.
    MARS with IR laser option. The best Optics can cost you as much as your weapon.
    Last edited by Smitty901; December 5th, 2012 at 08:27 AM.

Thank you everyone, but I can buy a house for what some of those cost. Are there any short scopes that are the short length of a red dot, like 3-4"? Or a red dot that is good on a budget? I'm a full time student, $110 is my budget. I know thats cheap but I'm looking for the most durable versatlei sight on a budget.

Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    Thank you everyone, but I can buy a house for what some of those cost. Are there any short scopes that are the short length of a red dot, like 3-4"? Or a red dot that is good on a budget? I'm a full time student, $110 is my budget. I know thats cheap but I'm looking for the most durable versatlei sight on a budget.
    Spend some time looking here:
    Riflescopes On Sale!

Check out the Vortex red/green dot Strikefire. Long lasting batteries but if they do fail you can look through it and still use yor Magpuls. They can be found for about $160 w/shipping, or less on line if you are persistant. The Vortex comes with a screw on 2X magnifier which I found to be somewhat useless. Mine has been flawless and will hold zero.
    U.S. Navy vet
    "...got a shotgun, a rifle and a .45........"

You might find what you are looking for at Primary Arms, they seem to have a great reputation. I'm looking myself. https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_s/586.htm

Hey OP. How did you go about removing the front sight base? Did you do it yourself or did you slip on a new gas block?

Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    Cheap, durable and $110 are pretty much mutually exclusive terms.

What is your intended use for your AR - range toy, plinker, fun gun?

What is your desired accuracy and over what kind distances?

If you are OK with "minute of bad guy" accuracy, then a red dot is great at to 200 yards or so. If you want to hit squirrels in the head at 50 yards, pick a scope.

Red dots are commonly 2-4 MOA, which is 2-4 inches at 100 yards. So a 2 MOA RDS puts a 2 inch dot on the target at 100 yards, which means you don't get any better resolution than that. If you and your gun and your ammo are very, very good, you may actually achieve groups tighter than 2 MOA, but that comes down how consistent all those elements are.

FWIW I put a Burris TRS-25 on the 10/22 I use for "tactical" steel matches my club runs. It has a 4 MOA dot, but under controlled conditions I can get groups half that size at 50 yards. It's about the same size as the Aimpoint Micro H-1 I have on one of the ARs. It doesn't have the 10,000 hour battery life and it won't have the endurance of the Aimpoint, but it retails for about $100 so it might be worth a try for you.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thank you everyone for the responses. I'll check into the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Inter9 View Post
    Hey OP. How did you go about removing the front sight base? Did you do it yourself or did you slip on a new gas block?
    Didn't do anything to the gun. Stock flat top optics ready model.

My advice is to save $$ slowly and research. Optics aren't going anywhere, and 9/10 times, you are going to be unhappy with something cheap that you bought impatiently.

If you want an RDS, Vortex, EOTech, and Aimpoint in that order of expense are the 3 biggest players in the game.

If you decide to go fixed power, you might look at Burris. They are as close as you will get to an ACOG at 1/4 the price. You can also look at the TA01. It is the non-fiber version of the ACOG running about $8-900.

The cardinal rule of building an AR is expect to spend at least half of what the rifle cost you on your optic if you're not sticking with irons.

I know you said what your budget is, but you are most likely going to be disappointed with whatever you get if you stick to that. I'd save my money and wait.

Links