Crimson Trace LightGuard (Weapon Mounted Light)

This is a discussion on Crimson Trace LightGuard (Weapon Mounted Light) within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a review of the Crimson Trace LightGuard for a Glock 19/17. I've been a proponent of night sights on a defensive/carry gun for ...

Thread: Crimson Trace LightGuard (Weapon Mounted Light)

Crimson Trace LightGuard (Weapon Mounted Light)

This is a review of the Crimson Trace LightGuard for a Glock 19/17.

I've been a proponent of night sights on a defensive/carry gun for awhile now, but I had never worried much about carrying a light. The night sights would definitely help me line up a shot in low light, but how would I know what I was shooting at for sure. I've shot several night shoots with a Surefire E2D Executive Defender with mixed results. Biggest issue was deployment of the light to help with IDing the target. Let's just say it was slow going, because deployment of the light was slow. Also, what if I was only able to use one hand to draw, point shoot? So this got me thinking about a WML.

For my purposes, being a appendix carrier, I need something small/compact/narrow for me to be able to still carry AIWB. Most were too big and/or long, until Crimson Trace came out with the LightGuard 100 Lumen LED WML last year. I've had it on one of my Glocks since mid July and put about 1,200 rounds down range with it attached, along with countless amounts of dry fire presentations from the holster. It has worked every time with one caveat..........if I miss my grip (bad hand placement on the grip of the gun) during the draw it might flicker and not stay on until I adjust my finger. This hardly happens, but it can if you miss the grab. I have given the light a little bit of abuse by banging the light on my workbench (gun unloaded of course) before using it during dry fire practice and I have used it while shooting in the rain. It still works every time.

I was a little worried about durability with this light mainly because its just made out of pastic and uses very little allen head screws to attach it to the gun. It just keeps working though. Is it made for hard duty use............probably not, but it works great for citizen carry.

I'm going to include some pictures I took showing the throw of the light and how well it works.

First one is in my garage. Sun is going down with a little bit of light coming through the windows (camera is actually picking up more light in the picture than my eyes were picking up). Distance to the IPDA target is 7yards/ 21 feet. Target is back lit and I can see it, but I can't ID it.

Next pic is gun with Ameriglo I-Dot Pro sights lined up with no light. If sights had no Tritium, I probably could not have picked up the front sight.

LightGuard on with 100 lumen. Can pick up sights easily, ID target and see the surrounding area very well. The light has a little bit of a focused beam, but it mainly throws a very wide pool of light. You don't have to have the gun pointed at the target to be able to see the target.

GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

2. Remove Ads

Here is how it looks not in front of the camera. Again, from 7 yards/ 21 feet.

Surefire E2D Defender.

LightGuard at low ready.

LightGuard while it is almost pitch dark outside.

And at low ready.

JM Custom Kydex Appendix Carry holsters. One for the lightGuard and one without.

Nice and narrow.

Small footprint and does not extend past the barrel.

GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

Thanks for illustrating that the WML does not need to be pointed directly at the possible target in order to be useful. I'm sooo tired of the naysayers jumping up and down saying "You have to point your weapon at the (possible) target! That's a safety violation!" Ugh.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

The only "Negative" I can find with this light with regard to everyday carry, is the ability to have a "Negligent Discharge" of the light during a situation when I don't want to be seen.

While holding the gun with one hand it is easy to have a "Negligent Discharge" with the light, mainly because a good decent grip is enough to actuate the light button. With the trigger finger outside the trigger guard and resting on the side of the frame, it appears to me that it happens less. If the trigger finger is on the trigger while one handed, the light is coming on most likely.

While holding the gun with a two handed grip, I can keep from having the ND because my support hand is also helping me grip the gun and I don't have to hold on so tight with my strong arm hand. If that makes since.

Your regular grip to draw the weapon will also set the light off, so if you want to be discrete while drawing your weapon you will need to grab the end of the grip(don't get your finger up under the trigger guard) while lifting the gun out of the holster. On a sub-compact gun this could create an additional problem since the grip is so short to begin with.

There is a manual on/off switch right in the front, below the light bulb, that you could flick off if your tactics needed you to be discreet with the light and you couldn't afford to have a light ND.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

Links