Older eyes and lasers

This is a discussion on Older eyes and lasers within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Before I get jumped on by those of you who believe only iron sights should be used, let me say I love shooting with them, ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By RAL
  • 2 Post By TXOutfitter
  • 1 Post By 10thmtn
  • 1 Post By TXOutfitter

Thread: Older eyes and lasers

Older eyes and lasers

Before I get jumped on by those of you who believe only iron sights should be used, let me say I love shooting with them, and hit what I'm aiming at.

I do have a laser guard on my gun and think it is a wonderful tool for low light and odd angle target acquisition, but I thought of another advantage of having the laser that I haven't heard discussed yet.

I am older and my eyes have changed for up close stuff. For distance, I'm fine. If I take my glasses off, I cannot focus on my iron sights. They are a blur. If, in an encounter with a BG, you should happen to lose your glasses, or being awakened at night, be unable to find your glasses, that laser may make the difference in the outcome. I do not think one has to choose one or the other exclusively. I think they both have their strengths and weaknesses. A laser is not going to help in a situation where there is a lot of light, but it seems that evil likes darkness.

I also know that most shoot outs happen at close range where sights are not used, and maybe that little dot may help you put it where you want it in very short order without your broken or lost glasses.

Just something to think about as we get older.
    bombthrower77 and revldm like this.
    I know Whose I am. I know where I'm going. I know the job I'm to do while I'm here. I am an ambassador. This is not my home.

Evil prospers when good people to do nothing. Please don't turn your back. ACT!

2. Remove Ads

RAL.....................+1 on that.

Really, I have nothing against lasers. But if it's so dark you can't see the sights, how do you see the threat, or make positive ID?

I'm not going to ride this horse again, and if it works for you, then great!

But as for me, if my eyes get bad enough I can't make out the glow of night sights, then I don't think a laser will help.

But that's just me.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Only problem I have with a laser is in the dark it gives your target something to aim at as well...

I have an LCP with a laser and while I liked the novelty of the laser at first I have removed it for now. My eyesight without glasses is bad enough but that laser dot was all over the place with my shaking hands. Felt like I was chasing the dot instead of focusing on the shot. More training would probably attenuate that somewhat. I do "see" the value of a laser to those of us with less than perfect sight.

All my carry pistols, as well as, the one on the nightstand have Crimson Trace.......wouldn't think of having a defensive pistol without CT! Too Simple, Too Accurate!

Dan Wesson CCO is scarey accurate with CT!!
    10thmtn and jbum like this.
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

OP - My dad is like you. He wears bifocals. Handgun shooting for him was an exercise in frustration. I handed him one of my CT laser-equipped handguns, and his reaction was, "Wow! This is like cheating!" Which is kind of the point, isn't it?
    RAL likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    OP - My dad is like you. He wears bifocals. Handgun shooting for him was an exercise in frustration. I handed him one of my CT laser-equipped handguns, and his reaction was, "Wow! This is like cheating!" Which is kind of the point, isn't it?
    I wear Tri-focals! I like the laser, but still use primarily the iron sights.

RAL,

You are right that the laser is a shooting aid under a lot of different conditions. Make the most of it if it helps you. For those worried about the laser giving away their position, the flashlight used to identify the target before shooting at it can betray us in much the same way. Everything has risks. Use what works to your advantage and stay away from the things that don't. We all have different limitations and strengths. And there are many tools available to address both.
    Last edited by nathanjns; December 12th, 2012 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Really, I have nothing against lasers. But if it's so dark you can't see the sights, how do you see the threat, or make positive ID?

I'm not going to ride this horse again, and if it works for you, then great!

But as for me, if my eyes get bad enough I can't make out the glow of night sights, then I don't think a laser will help.

But that's just me.
    I don't have glow-in-the-dark sights and my distance vision is very good. I regularly exercise my dogs in the dark this time of the year. With stars, and often, the moon light, I can see well enough to work my dogs with frisbees and balls (the location I do this changes depending on just how pitch black it is - some places I go are near street lights). I don't have to be able to see a threat's features clearly to know they are a threat. To use my iron sights I do need some good light. The laser enables me to hit that target in less than ideal conditions and keep my eyes in that distance range where my eyes are best.
    -------------
    I really do not want the BG close enough to me to need the reading part of my glasses.
    Last edited by RAL; December 12th, 2012 at 04:33 PM. Reason: added comment
    I know Whose I am. I know where I'm going. I know the job I'm to do while I'm here. I am an ambassador. This is not my home.

Evil prospers when good people to do nothing. Please don't turn your back. ACT!

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I have laser on my smith and wesson bodyguard.It's a novelty,give me a good pair of night sites and I am good to go.If you were a bad guy trying to get me that laser light the first thing I am going to shoot at!

Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    I have laser on my smith and wesson bodyguard.It's a novelty,give me a good pair of night sites and I am good to go.If you were a bad guy trying to get me that laser light the first thing I am going to shoot at!
    When the bad guy sees the red dot, it should be "Too Late"!
    lchamp likes this.
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

With my crummy eyes, I too find it easier and faster to shoot with a laser. Since I am a lefty, the CT laser guard works better for me than the grip replacement lasers. I have never shot with an RDS, but am thinking that might be the next sighting aid for me to look into

Links