Defensive Carry banner

Do you use a pistol magazine holster/pouch? If so, which?

14K views 44 replies 42 participants last post by  HAWKEYE50 
#1 ·
I recently ordered a double magazine pouch by Blackhawk. I got it in and man is it bulky. Too bulky. It prints heavily when I'm just wearing a normal shirt.

I honestly didn't give much thought to the options available, but the more I look into the options now, the more I want to go with single holders, and possibly ones that go IWB.

What magazine holsters/pouches do you use? Do you have pictures of the item, and/or of you wearing it?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I use an old Gerber Multi-Tool pouch for my double stack, .45 ACP, 10-rounder. I have an old leather open top for my single stack .45. Sorry, no pics; I'm at work.

Reactions: Ghost1958
#3 ·
I use an old multi-tool pouch, also...when I only want to take one extra mag along.
If I feel the need for two extra mags (for Jax or Orlando), I use a Fobus double mag paddle.

http://www.fobusholster.com/catalog/Magazine_Pouches-66-1.html

Easy on/off and comfy.

To the OP: OMO, but I think that you would find IWB mag pouches a bit uncomfortable.

Reactions: Ghost1958
#4 ·
I wouldn't bother with IWB, especially if you are already carrying your gun IWB and it is a double stack mag. For double magazine carriers it seems like the kind with loops on the back are too bulky, I have a pancake style double mag carrier from Des Biens leather that worked really well when I was carrying my M&P. Now that I carry a G19, I've been using single carriers from here Pistol Mag Carriers | KYTEX Shooting Gear and they work well. Thin and light, but conceal well and no issues with retention. I'm at work right now but I might be able to toss some pics up in a day or so.

#6 ·
I have a Wilson Combat leather dual mag holder that I sometimes carry but belt loop placement softies limits where I can place it on my belt.

Most of the time I carry single mag holders from Blackhawk. That gives me the most versatility as I can carry either one or two depending on where I am going.

#7 ·
#8 ·
I seldom use a holster/pouch for mags. I know it seems stupid but I have a harder time carrying mags than full size handguns. I usually just carry spare mags in a pocket.

#32 ·
I carry my spare mag in my left front pocket as well, as well as my cell-phone and chapstick. I have thought about getting a dual mag pouch and using one pouch to hold a spare mag, and the other for a flashlight.

#9 ·
I carry in my left front pocket. Not the most ideal, but its always with me.

#12 ·
I've carried 1911 mags vertical OWB at 9 o'clock while carrying my 1911 IWB at 3 o'clock - no trouble concealing. Now that I'm carrying a Glock the mags are a little harder to conceal. I like horizontal carry. I have a Blade Tech horizontal pouch that I use frequently, as well as a thread-on kydex pouch I got from Custom Carry Concepts. I usually have a mag in my left front pocket as well. With the horizontal pouches, I carry just to the left of my 12:00, opening to my left, rounds down. I try to have the pouch up against the first belt loop so it doesn't slide at all when I go to pull the magazine out.

Austin

#13 ·
I use a Remora single mag holster that I put in my off hand pocket. I'd rather have a Sticky Holster single mag one though as it isn't as bulky and stiff at the bottom end. I had gotten the single mag Remora from them as a bonus since I had ordered a whole bunch of holsters from them (for different pistols for me and my wife and also for my wife's family).

#15 ·
I use a black leather mag holder from The Masters Holsters for the spare mag for my XD-40 (IWB strong side in a MTAC Minotaur). It's got a spring-steel clip on the back to attach to the belt. Works for me, but for years I carried a spare mag in my weakside pocket.

#16 ·
I only recently started consistently carrying additional mags and I have just been using an old blackhawk pocket holster that I restitched to hold a Glock mag in my front left pocket, works pretty well. I like the idea of using a leatherman holster for one though, hiding in plain site.

#19 ·
I use different mag pouches for different pistols and different belt widths and thicknesses. Brands include, in no certain order, Galco, Bianchi, Milt Sparks, Blade-tech, Bulman, Ernie Hill, Tucker, and probably something I forgot. All else being equal, double mag pouches are bulky, and I rarely use them; most of mine are single. I very rarely use IWB mag pouches.

#21 ·
I use two single kydex mag holders from Tactical Kydex a guy named Mitchell makes them. When I bought mine a little over a year ago they were $20 total for the pair shipping and all. I love them they've served me well. They can be worn both IWB and OWB and they have retention screws. Email him for order info at...tacticalkydex@bellsouth.net

Here is wearing them IWB...

Here is OWB...

I like them they are comfortable, he also makes double mag holders that are attached but I like the option of separating them and only using one on occasion.

#22 ·
Reactions: guitarzNgunz
#23 ·
These look pretty nice as well, horizontal carry is comfortable but you can't access them as quickly.

#26 ·
I carry a single mag carrier from Don Hume, a model 850. It is leather and open top. Matches the JT slide holster I have. Been carrying it about 2 years now and is as good as the day I bought it. And yes I am wearing it now, can't get a picture right now. Let me now if you want a pic and will get one later. Don't use the holster, have a custom holster I like better.

#27 ·
for CC of a single mag I have a Black Hawk CQC belt clip (same as goldshellback) BlackHawk CQC Magazine Pouch (all styles, all colors) which has a spring clip inside to allow carry of many double stacks or a single stack mag.
and a Don Hume 850B belt clip. which apparently isn't avail anymore as it is no longer on the Don Hume web page.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.