to laser or not to laser

to laser or not to laser

This is a discussion on to laser or not to laser within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When choosing a gun I am tempted to steer towards a gun with a laser sight (whether built in or self installed) as a conceal ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: to laser or not to laser

to laser or not to laser

When choosing a gun I am tempted to steer towards a gun with a laser sight (whether built in or self installed) as a conceal and carry. Who here uses a conceal and carry gun with a laser and why do you (or don't you)?

Also, if you used an aftermarket laser on your gun what combination did you choose for easy pull and fast target acquisition with little chance of losing zero.

Thanks for your opinions!

I never thought too much about lasers. Then I bought a Taurus TCP 380. The sights on it are unusable.

I put on a Crimson Trace Laser and it is no my most accurate handgun. I can easily put 6 rounds in a business card at 7 yards.

I want to get one for my M&P and other handguns as well.

I have a Crimson trace on my M&P and I find it distracting. Accurate to a specific point. Anything closer or further away is off centered to the beam of light.
    BritishAgent likes this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Any handgun that I carry, or have carried, has a crimson trace laser on it.

IMO a laser will help me in a situation where I may need it. When I shoot at the range I can shoot the heck out a point down range using my gun sights. But shooting from any other position, where my gun isn't perfectetly sighted in, my laser gets the best shot down range for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    I have a Crimson trace on my M&P and I find it distracting. Accurate to a specific point. Anything closer or further away is off centered to the beam of light.
    This makes enough sense to me that it has made my mind up for me. I would never restrict myself to one distance targeting. Good advice.
    - Hedimitrius

Need your knife sharpened? I offer free knife sharpening to all DC members. Just pay shipping both ways and I'll do the rest.

No problem. Glad to give good advise.

Just can't hurt to have it. Maybe the assailant will see the laser and turn and run away. But this is not the reason to have the laser, my first remark is the reason. Also Crimson Trace lasers are the easiest lasers to use. Just grip your gun, and it is on.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedimitrius View Post
    This makes enough sense to me that it has made my mind up for me. I would never restrict myself to one distance targeting. Good advice.
    The laser is zeroed for a paricular distance - just like your iron sights are. The impact point will shift slightly at different distances, but not so much that you would miss.

The pros and cons of lasers have been discussed many, many times here. I am a believer, having used them during a low light pistol class. There are a few posters here who used them in real-world defensive situations, where the laser helped defuse the situation.

Go over to CorneredCat - very good discussions there about training properly with lasers.
    tokerblue and aus71383 like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    The laser is zeroed for a paricular distance - just like your iron sights are. The impact point will shift slightly at different distances, but not so much that you would miss.
    - Same experience here. I zero my lasers for 25 feet. Even when I shoot at 50 feet, I can easily hit center of mass. At most, I'm off an inch or so. I don't expect to be able to shoot farther than that and still call it self defense.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

25 feet seems far for a carry gun. How far from the barrel is the laser?

The laser is a tool the same as the weapon it is attached to. Tools have pros and cons and a laser is no exception. Lasers are useful when you don't have time or can't to use your sights, they are rather useless in sunlight and totally useless if the batteries fail. With that said practice/train with both and you will have no problem. My suggestion if you can add the laser do it.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I have a CT laser on my carry gun, which is an XD40 subcompact. The reason is simple. In a real-world SD situation there's probably not going to be time to establish a proper isosceles stance and grip. It's more likely going to be draw, point, and shoot. The little red dot tells me whether I'm going to hit the BG's center of mass, his arm, or miss him completely. When I go to the range I spend part of the time practicing point-and-shoot with the gun clear of the holster but just above my waistline.

to laser or not to laser

not on my carry gun. I do have one on one of my HD guns.

I'm thinking about one for mine. My wife shares it with me for home defense and she has problems with her vision. If she tries to see the front sight, everything beyond about 5 feet in front of it is a gray blur. If she focuses on the target at anything more than about 3-4 yards, everything closer is a gray blur. I'm thinking that having a little red dot would allow her to see the target and aim at the same time. We've been working on other techniques for her to aim, but I'm thinkin' the laser might be the solution.

I can't seem to get the hang of shooting with the laser. I bought a crimson trace for my LCP because my wife was not able to hit center mass at 7 yards and I thought it would help. Granted the LCP is not a range gun but I have no problem without the laser but I cant stay in one place when trying to use the laser. Not sure if it's due to having really large hands or what else ( it messes up my grip to try to squeeze the " on" button at the same time bringing the trigger back.

Do those who use crimson trace maintain the laser "on" through the shot, or just until target is acquired then release it?

Thinking about putting it on ebay if I can't make it work for me even though it's only a month or so old. Solution for my wife turned out to be a different gun that actually has sights.

I've never considered them due to the $250.00 +- price tag. Some friends love them, but don't have them on all of their pistols. I'm thinking if you had to point the weapon at a BG, without looking at the sights at all, it would give you a better chance of a hit, say you're keeping your "Important parts" behind a wall. :)

I do strongly advocate good night sights though. That first shot is your best shot at stopping whatever it is that caused you to draw in the first place.

Be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links