Ar- .308/7.62

This is a discussion on Ar- .308/7.62 within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to build a .308/7.62 Ar style rifle but need much education. I don't have anything against ak-47's but i want American made. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Ar- .308/7.62

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar

Ar- .308/7.62

I want to build a .308/7.62 Ar style rifle but need much education. I don't have anything against ak-47's but i want American made.

I don't know what its called to find parts. Been searching Palmetto State but their search is really useless unless you know exactly what you want.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Open carry is to hand gun as blue tooth's are to cell phone!

2. Remove Ads

I hardly qualify as an expert here, but the .308/7.62 round is too big for the "standard" AR lower.

I'd research "AR-10" and see what that turns up for you. I'm not a fan of DPMS but you can at least get some basic info on AR-10s from their site.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    I want to build a .308/7.62 Ar style rifle but need much education. I don't have anything against ak-47's but i want American made.

I don't know what its called to find parts. Been searching Palmetto State but their search is really useless unless you know exactly what you want.

If you want a 7.62mm AR - then a 300 Blackout would be the thing to do. If you want a .308 AR - then you're talking SR-25/AR-10/whatever other names they have come up for them. N6 I think is the Noveske one.

If you want an AR that fires 7.62x39mm ammo - which is the same ammo that the AK fires - then you are wanting a niche product that almost no one else wants, that will be expensive, and based on what I've read about them - plagued with problems.

You can buy any "AR" lower and get a 300 Blackout upper for it. Or you can buy an upper receiver, a barrel, etc...and put the upper together yourself.

If you want an AR-10/SR-25 - your options are more limited, and it's going to cost a lot more.

There's nothing wrong with AKs....quite a few good makers out there. You have to learn what countries are the best, and what are the worst, and what are fine - and know what you're buying. Ammo for them is pretty cheap - which is nice.

Austin
    WrongRecroom likes this.

.....and just so I don't confuse you even more. 7.62mm is the same measurement as .308. We're talking about the same diameter bullets here. But there are MANY calibers with names beginning with 7.62mm - and there is only 2 .308 that I'm aware of - .308 Winchester (very common) and .308 Norma Magnum (relatively rare). It happens to be 7.62x51mm.

Other 7.62mm cartridges: 7.62 mm caliber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

300 Blackout: 300 AAC Blackout (7.6235mm) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Austin

Your better off buying a built AR10 I have an Armalite AR10 A3 I bought about 9 years ago for just under $1000 downside is they use modified M14 mags that cost around $40 for a 20 rounder
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

OD*
    Look into an FAL.
    aus71383 likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Re: Ar- .308/7.62

I like the 7.62 for the size and cost per round... prob opening another can of worms but why are ak/ak-ish lowers made in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    I like the 7.62 for the size and cost per round... prob opening another can of worms but why are ak/ak-ish lowers made in the US?

Once again - what are you talking about when you say 7.62? 7.62x39? I'm assuming that since you're acting like ammo is cheap for it.

All AK lowers are made in the U.S. because the guns are assembled from parts kits that are imported, and have the required number of U.S. made parts to be legal here (922r/federal import regulations blah blah blah).

If you want an AR-15 that accepts AK-47 magazines - you are wanting something that makes no sense. 7.62x39 ammo is dirty, and an AR-15 gas system with that ammo is asking for trouble. Not to mention the lower receiver itself would have to be completely different just to accept the magazines in the first place - they rock into place and release with a thumb lever, instead of sliding straight up and releasing with a button. So now instead of having a modular AR-15 that can accept parts interchangeably, and different upper receivers - you have a Frankenstein mess that will have nothing but problems. Here's a picture of one: Rock River Arms: RRA LAR-47 7.62x39mm Note that it is "not yet in production". There have been a few companies over the years that have made these types of things. You would probably be able to find one if you spent some time looking on the used market.

If you want an AR-15 chambered in 7.62....get a 300 Blackout. Or a 6.8mm SPC. Or a 6.5 Grendel. That is my recommendation.

If you want a rifle chambered in 7.62x51mm - get an FAL, or an AR-10, or a PTR-91, or an M1A...there are lots out there.

If you want a rifle chambered in 7.62x39mm - get an AK-47. If you get anything else you are cheating yourself.

That's my opinion....which is worth what you paid for it

The gun you are trying to look up is called an AR 47

Austin

Re: Ar- .308/7.62

Thanks for the info... on my budget looks like I'll prob be better off to buy an Ak 47 and switch out parts to get the look I want

VIP Member
    SCXDm9.

If you like let me know on here or in a PM what "look" you are going for in an AK. Been around them and using one daily for a long time might be able to help.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Do it the right way
    Colt LE901-16S
    BaldSasq likes this.

BaldSasq likes this.
    A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hand.
    SENECA the younger
    Roman stoic philosopher
    4 B.C. - 65 A.D.

The primary AR-10 builds have two different specs, please ensure that you buy parts that match you build. There are the "Armalite" spec and the "DPMS" spec. Mags, and other parts for one will not work on the other. I was leaning to Armalite, then a buddy of mine convinced me to go with a "DPMS" spec build. Turns out that the "DPMS" spec AR-10 has more market-share, and is being adopted more. The lowers use AR-15 lower parts kits, the magazines are less expensive than Armalite style, and there are more manufacturers building to the DPMS spec. I built out a Bushmaster ORC in .308, had a new barrel and furniture put on it, and it is a great gun. Check out Patriot Ordnance Factory, they have a piston driven AR-10, but it's retail 2700. I almost bought one.

I also built out a .300blk rifle, generic lower, and a DSA upper, and by built out, I mean I put the upper on the lower and was done. ;-) Nothing but Sub Sonic ammo purchased for it so far, as it was designed/built to be a "suppressed" platform.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

DPMS is American made

I will to what others said esp Bald .. There are differnt maker and mag type AR-10 out there the Armalight mag ones and ones that take magpul mags even some that take FAL mags ..

I perosnal would vote for this CMMG Announces New 308 AR Lowers using G3 mags ... A ar lower that use G3 mags which are cheep .... Not sure when it will come out though

That all said really to me there are dif kinds of 308 out there .. The more percsion long range jobs of the AR-10 and such and the the more battelfield rifles like the G3 and FAL and clones .. The question is what do you want .. A handy SHTF rifle or ?

If we are talking FAL and G3 that is a lot of worms to open.. As now you are dealing with pre 1989 and post 1989 guns as well as pre 94 ban and post 94 ban guns plus 922r issues ... All that said if you want a 308 in that style get a DSA FAL or PTR G3 clone for the money they are very good... Course if you want a true FN FAL or G3 they are out there but they are not cheep most now are at 1-4k or more depding on type and age

Futhmore more if you are wanting a AK style rifle in 7.62x51 there is a new PAP 308 ak rifle out and also I know the Verper guns come in 308 and they are very nice

Also Colt makes a new 223/308 switchable rifle that looks good in my book Hickcock 45 has a review and shows how to change it out

But please remember that a true ak is either 7.62x39 or a 74 in 5.45 .. And 7.62x51 is what a AR10 is .. 308 is just a civialn name for the round and is slight diferent then 7.62x51

Also note unless you get a pre 1989 AK any new AK that takes AK or has a normal stock will by law be made for the most part in the USA .. More then likly the trigger and most of the furinture and even the receiver and barrel will be USA made .. Also a IO ak are claim to be all made here in the USA but I dont know on that ...
    BaldSasq likes this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links