Level of threat to justify body armor?

This is a discussion on Level of threat to justify body armor? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just joined this forum today and have been browsing various old message threads then a question came to my mind, I think most / ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 2 Post By SCXDm9
  • 1 Post By blitzburgh

Thread: Level of threat to justify body armor?

I just joined this forum today and have been browsing various old message threads then a question came to my mind, I think most / all of us tend to agree that the use of body armor by typical civilians is a bit over the top, but what level of threat would you consider to be strong enough to justify wearing body armor, (note I am leaving out LEO and LEO related jobs (security guard, bounty hunter, etc.)

Here are a few levels, please feel free to add your own:

Pizza delivery in high crime area

Late shift convienence store clerk

Late shift convienence store clerk in a high crime area

Store manager that drops night deposit at a bank

Store manager that drops night deposit at a bank with recent area history of people being shot for bank deposits

etc., fill in the blank

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I disagree. I think body armor, having been invented for civilian use, is exactly whom it was designed to protect, and exactly the type of person who may consider owning it. I have a glodflex IIIa vest, myself, and I am neither military or a cop. I do live in a state capitol that has 3 major gangs in the area, and we have a LOT of shooting reports, so if I'm in certain parts of town, yeah I have a concealed vest on. I'd rather be safe than dead. Why carry a gun, and not have armor? It's like carrying a sword and not having a shield, or maille. There's a good chance if you're attacked in a parking lot or a similar sort of setting, it may be with a knife, or a gun, so why not protect yourself from the first attack till you have the chance to respond? Carrying a gun won't do you any good if you're dead before you can assess the threat.

A person's need to improve safety and feel better-protected against the threats one is aware of. Up to the citizen, IMO.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    It's beginning to look like school officials near entranceways should be thinking about this...and be allowed to carry concealed weapons.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar

Re: Level of threat to justify body armor?

If I feel I need body armor to go to a place I'm not going, that is in direct violation of the rule of stupids.

If I live where I need body armor, I'll move to where my wife moved to because she left along time ago.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Hopyard and KBSR like this.
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Open carry is to a handgun as bluetooth is to a cell phone!

Lots of answers there, but not many that are answers to the quesiton that was asked

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    I disagree. I think body armor, having been invented for civilian use, is exactly whom it was designed to protect, and exactly the type of person who may consider owning it. I have a glodflex IIIa vest, myself, and I am neither military or a cop. I do live in a state capitol that has 3 major gangs in the area, and we have a LOT of shooting reports, so if I'm in certain parts of town, yeah I have a concealed vest on. I'd rather be safe than dead. Why carry a gun, and not have armor? It's like carrying a sword and not having a shield, or maille. There's a good chance if you're attacked in a parking lot or a similar sort of setting, it may be with a knife, or a gun, so why not protect yourself from the first attack till you have the chance to respond? Carrying a gun won't do you any good if you're dead before you can assess the threat.
    I'm not familiar with body armor beyond what I read on this forum. Responding to what I put in bold, it has been my understanding that most BA won't help you much against a knife. A better option if it is possible, is to not place yourself
    in that part of town in the first place. Frankly, I'm more fearful of a robbery done by knife than I am of one done with a gun.
    At contact distances the knife is the more deadly and more difficult to deflect or disarm without getting hurt. Moreover, someone willing to use a knife close up, probably knows what they are doing with it and is a natural fighter.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I haven't worn body armor for over four years, and then it was level III (I believe), and it's not meant for edged weapons. Yes it'll slow the blade down, particularly slash strikes, but stabs are still gonna hurt, not to mention pushing all that kevlar into your wounds, contributing to some serious infections I'd bet. Now there is body armor available that corrections officers, and especially their tactical teams use, to remove "reluctant guests" from their cells. This stuff weighs approximately the same as a small four door car, and is bulky as hell. Not something you could wear while you deliver Papa Johns pizza in the hood. Most of it is heavy, hot, and uncomfortable to wear as well, which means unless your really, really need it, you really, really don't want to wear it.

I'm thinking you're better off to stay out of areas you think are too dangerous to be in without body armor or a SWAT team back up. Just my .02 of course. Stay safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Whatever floats your boat, dude, but it's going to be a hassle. I've never worn high speed gucci gear body armor, but anything designed to stop bullets is going to be bulky and heavy. The physical conditioning factor of wearing a 15 lbs. vest all day would be the best benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    If I feel I need body armor to go to a place I'm not going, that is in direct violation of the rule of stupids.

If I live where I need body armor, I'll move to where my wife moved to because she left along time ago.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Though I see where you're coming from, some people live in such areas and it isn't by choice (i.e., funds aren't there to move). I've worn armor on numerous occasions, while living in such areas that I couldn't afford to move out of (full time student at the time, picking up odd jobs).
    94lt1 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

My $.02. If you own a firearm which you might have to use if your life is in jeopardy, you should have a vest.

Re: Level of threat to justify body armor?

Just me, and possibly my reckless demeanor, but there are times when you're going to be exposed period... I say this in response to the rule of stupids..

Perhaps: You're on the interstate and you get a flat tire, you're in a mall parking lot, in broad daylight...you're in a parking garage after seeing some form of entertainment with the significant other, day or night...

My point is, you just never know when/if a person or group of persons, will decide to single you out.. even being in front of a cop shop in a good part of town in the day..

I know its a lot if what ifs, but you never know.. :)

Links