Orange or yellow front ring for Trijicon HD sights?

This is a discussion on Orange or yellow front ring for Trijicon HD sights? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by pattywak Just to clarify, I am talking about the orange or yellow rings on the front sight. Not the tritium inserts. And ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Orange or yellow front ring for Trijicon HD sights?

AOK
    Quote Originally Posted by pattywak View Post
    Just to clarify, I am talking about the orange or yellow rings on the front sight. Not the tritium inserts.

And AOK, do you have anything else to add regarding which color I should get? Just seeing if you got any insider info that may help me out. Haha.
    Ha ha! No insider info here. Just as others have stated, it comes down to personal preference.

2. Remove Ads

For DEFENSIVE purposes you want a colors that will contrast the most with your target's color. For me I find a pinkish/red contrasts the best over most shirt and jacket colors.
    In the Trijicons you're taking about, I believe orange would work best for me.
    The photos below show how I enhanced my XS Big Dot Tritiums.

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Green with Orange work the best formy eye sight.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    I have trained with someone well known in the gun community who helped develop these sights and that has never been brought up in a discussion involving these sights.

I think you guys had a miscommunication. The photoluninescent light is I'm guessing what you are talking about. The actual orange/yellow surrounding the tritium. When the photoluminescent is in direct sunlight for a certain amount of time it glows. The yellow in fact glows about 10-13 minutes while the orange only glows about 5 minutes. It has nothing to do with lifespan of the sights. Not much of a selling point to buy yellow over orange for most people IMO.
    Look at the warranty on each of the sights, and the average lifespan for them as advertised.

AOK

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    Look at the warranty on each of the sights, and the average lifespan for them as advertised.
    Wow, after all of the threads I've read and people I have talk to regarding these sights you were the first to bring that up. Thank you for point that out. I'll be interested in how long my sets work out.

To be honest I was pretty surprised when I learned about it, myself. I looked at an H&K P30 with yellow Trij sights though and it looked amazing,. I do like the orange.. go with whatever works for you. They last as long as they last. They are replaceable, so it's not too big of a deal either way.
    AOK likes this.

This may help...when I shoot ith fiber optic sights, I see reds much better on bright days, and see greens-yellow slightly less well on overcast days or indoor ranges. If that seems to work for you, maybe you can figure out a way to match it to your most common carry or practice conditions. I do like those sights, thinking those and a rounded striker block and I will call my Shield done.
    What Would Gumby Do?

This may help...when I shoot with fiber optic sights, I see reds much better on bright days, and see greens-yellow better on overcast days or indoor ranges. If that seems to work for you, maybe you can figure out a way to match it to your most common carry or practice conditions. I do like those sights, thinking those and a rounded striker block and I will call my Shield done.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Re: Orange or yellow front ring for Trijicon HD sights?

I don't think there's a way I could really predict what situation or lighting condition I may need to draw my gun in self defense, so I guess I need to just figure our which works for my eyes best. Leaning towards orange right now. Seeing a lot of pictures online it seems to pop to my eyes more, but we'll see.
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    Theis Holster - Joab Mag Pouch
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Keep it simple. Spend about $6-7 for bright yellow and dayglo-orange model paint. Paint the front sight yellow and see how you like it under various "reasonable" shooting conditions. Then paint the sight orange and see how you like it versus the yellow under the same conditions. Then order the color you find works best. No since spending the money on Trijicon sights until you know what you want.
    farsidefan1 and Rockymonster like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Nothing like checking out the facts before you post misinformation.

Trijicon HD's all use green lamps which are warranted for 12 years.

Yellow paint glows about twice as long as the orange PAINT.

DEM

Demaret, the information I posted regarding the warranty lengths of green, yellow, and orange tritium sights by Trijicon, came directly from Trijicon sales training. My facts are accurate.

"Yes, Trijicon offers the choice of yellow or orange lamps in the rear sight only. We always keep the front sight green because it is the brightest and longest lasting of the colored tritium. It is also the color with the most contrast from muzzle flash. Green and yellow sights are warranted for 12 years. The orange lamp only carries a 5 year warranty."

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/support/faq_BNTNS.php

Welcome to the site, by the way. I used to live in MI myself, until I found a way to escape.
    farsidefan1 likes this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    Demaret, the information I posted regarding the warranty lengths of green, yellow, and orange tritium sights by Trijicon, came directly from Trijicon sales training. My facts are accurate.

"Yes, Trijicon offers the choice of yellow or orange lamps in the rear sight only. We always keep the front sight green because it is the brightest and longest lasting of the colored tritium. It is also the color with the most contrast from muzzle flash. Green and yellow sights are warranted for 12 years. The orange lamp only carries a 5 year warranty."

Night Sights FAQ's - Trijicon, Inc.

Welcome to the site, by the way. I used to live in MI myself, until I found a way to escape.
    Not sure if you are aware but what you are talking about are the vials (lamps) for the sights, everybody else is talking about the paint around the vials.
    The HD sights have only green vials (lamps), with a choice of orange or yellow paint arount the front vial (lamp).

Distinguished Member
    The Trijicon sights on my G26 carry gun were getting really dim after only 6 years. Then I realized: I clean the gun regularly to remove lint and dust but have never cleaned the sights. I just took a tiny piece of cotton and dipped it in rubbing alcohol and cleaned the sights, then wiped them off with a clean towel. They seem brighter now.

Beats the heck out of contacting the company to complain and try to get a warranty replacement when they were just filmed over. DUH
    RETSUPT99 likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Trucker View Post
    Not sure if you are aware but what you are talking about are the vials (lamps) for the sights, everybody else is talking about the paint around the vials.
    The HD sights have only green vials (lamps), with a choice of orange or yellow paint arount the front vial (lamp).
    Ah, OK. The Trijicons on my Walther are "Bright & Tough" and offer three different tritium vial colors. The Trij sights on my P30 are yellow tritium rear, green tront, too. My Nano is all green, though.
    I looked again at the literature and you guys are talking about the outline rings, not the tritium. Got it now.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links