Orange or yellow front ring for Trijicon HD sights?

This is a discussion on Orange or yellow front ring for Trijicon HD sights? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally have settled on a set of these for my M&P Shield. The only thing left to decide is to go with either the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Orange or yellow front ring for Trijicon HD sights?

Orange or yellow front ring for Trijicon HD sights?

I finally have settled on a set of these for my M&P Shield. The only thing left to decide is to go with either the orange front ring or the yellow front ring. I have never had sights other than factory on the two guns I own (an FNX9 and the Shield) so I'm not sure which I would prefer. Looking at some threads online I have seen photos of both yellow and orange rings, but I'm not sure which is suited best for my needs. It's obviously going to be my edc gun, not just for target shooting.

A lot of threads say that it depends on the shooter and what works for your eyes, but I've never seen these sights in person or have any friends who have them to see for myself. I also prefer doing my research first and then buying once so that I don't have to deal with the return and refund process.

That being said, with my limited experience with guns and shooting at the range I would say that I'm leaning towards the orange, but I realized that outside there may be more orange or similar to orange colors in the environment, so may yellow be better?

Anyone with experience with these specific sights or just front sight color options in general have any tips for a newbie to night sights?
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    Theis Holster - Joab Mag Pouch
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

2. Remove Ads

I picked orange/red - for more contrast with the rear sights. Haven't got them yet though.

Austin

Had both. Prefer orange. Seems a bit easier to aquire in the bright sun.

Re: Orange or yellow front ring for Trijicon HD sights?

Thanks for the replies. So far, orange is the most popular from what I've seen online. There must be good reason for this. Haha.
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

AOK
    I own two pairs of orange. One on my Glock 19 and one on my Glock 23. They are the best sights I've ever ran on a gun.

Regarding color, I have never tried the yellow. However, for those who have tried both I tend to see a 60/40 yellow to orange preference. I went with the orange because prior to running Trijicon HD's I had an orange front sight as well.

Hmm, interesting. What may be happening is that people see the orange, get it, and love it. But those that try both like the yellow better. Is there something about the yellow that lends itself to seeing the sight better?
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

AOK
    As far as I can remember they just preferred the contrast the yellow offers with different backgrounds. Again, not my experiences, just what I read. I think you will like whichever color you choose.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I'd go with yellow, as the orange, according to Trijicon, has a much shorter lifespan of something like 5 years versus the yellow and the green's 12 years.

That's according to Trij's own rep training program, by the way.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Go with the one you feel is most visible.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    ^ This. We're not all looking through the same eyeballs.

Mine happen to like green up front and yellow in the rear. All green works good for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    I'd go with yellow, as the orange, according to Trijicon, has a much shorter lifespan of something like 5 years versus the yellow and the green's 12 years.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I guess the only real way to find out is to try them for myself.. Haha.
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

AOK
    Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post

I have trained with someone well known in the gun community who helped develop these sights and that has never been brought up in a discussion involving these sights.

I think you guys had a miscommunication. The photoluninescent light is I'm guessing what you are talking about. The actual orange/yellow surrounding the tritium. When the photoluminescent is in direct sunlight for a certain amount of time it glows. The yellow in fact glows about 10-13 minutes while the orange only glows about 5 minutes. It has nothing to do with lifespan of the sights. Not much of a selling point to buy yellow over orange for most people IMO.

Just to clarify, I am talking about the orange or yellow rings on the front sight. Not the tritium inserts.

And AOK, do you have anything else to add regarding which color I should get? Just seeing if you got any insider info that may help me out. Haha.
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

Each of our eyes visualizes colors different.

Color Vision | ASU - Ask A Biologist

I started by painting my front sight with florescent orange nail polish. Than I tried bright florescent yellow. MY eyes can see the yellow much better. Your eyes may see the orange or even a florescent green better.

It may be too that women see color better then men. And more men seem to be colorblind then women.

Men and women really DO see things differently: Our brains process colours in different ways | Mail Online
    Last edited by zamboni; December 21st, 2012 at 04:04 AM.

I have the yellow ones. My eyes don't pick it up very well in shadows or dim light. It works great in bright sunlight. I'm wishing I had the orange ones.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links