Any trouble selling mags on ebay?

This is a discussion on Any trouble selling mags on ebay? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I was going to sell a few Pmags on ebay, yes, I'm a horrible person trying to cash in on the hysteria... They have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any trouble selling mags on ebay?

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar

So I was going to sell a few Pmags on ebay, yes, I'm a horrible person trying to cash in on the hysteria...

They have a ton on there, but after I listed mine for sale, I go a message from ebay that they canceled my listing because:

"
    Due to U.S. Federal and California state laws, eBay doesn't permit the sale of any assault weapon-related parts or accessories. This applies to all parts and accessories related to any firearm defined as an "assault weapon" by federal or California law.

If you see any other listings or items that may be in violation of this or other policies, please report them to us using the "Report Item" link in the listing.

Because of various laws and regulations on the sale of assault weapons and parts and accessories for assault weapons, we don't allow selling these items on eBay.

But you can list accessories that would fit a variety of different weapons, such as scopes, sites, and shoulder straps. If you do sell these items, you can't mention assault weapons in your listing.

Keep in mind that any listing for an item that's described as a part or an accessory for an assault weapon will be removed. Even if an item doesn't attach to an assault weapon, you still can't list it on eBay.
    "

Has anyone else had a similar problem? I looked again to see if it was a policy change, but other Pmags were still listed.

The only thing I could see is that I stated AR-15 in my title, so it was directly associated with a gun. The listings still available stayed generic and just said Pmag or whatever. So I tried relisting mine with the same vague description.

Anyone with experience on this? Will my new vague description work?
    Walk softly ...

The new vague description should work. eBay uses keywords to identify trouble listings, and it seems AR-15 is one of those terms.

Good luck!

Most of the sellers just add the word airsoft. That seems to let it pass without problems

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I didn't think Ebay allowed the sale of any Mags after the Virginia Tech shooter purchased some of his off ebay
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I didn't think Ebay allowed the sale of any Mags after the Virginia Tech shooter purchased some of his off ebay
    I found at least a hundred listings for Pmags when I started looking. That's when I decided to sell a few to finance other purchases. A single Pmag is sometimes going for $60-80.
    Walk softly ...

I tried to sell a 16 round XD mag on ebay, and my listing got cancelled as well. They said that they will not allow the sale of any pistol mag over 10 rounds. I found a couple of other listings for 13 and 16 round XD mags, but those were as part of a group of stuff and weren't specifically mentioned in the title. I think they just make their rules conform to the most restrictive state they sell in. That way they don't have to expend resources to keep things sorted by where they are legal and where they aren't.

It sucks, but it's probably wise business strategy.

Folks, considering how anti-gun fleaBay is, why would you use that venue to sell your stuff? You'll have a targeted audience on the gun auction sites like GunBroker, and you won't run afoul of their politics.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Folks, considering how anti-gun fleaBay is, why would you use that venue to sell your stuff? You'll have a targeted audience on the gun auction sites like GunBroker, and you won't run afoul of their politics.
    Good question, I guess I am just not familiar with Gunbroker and have never used it, while I have used ebay a few times. Is Gunbroker the same kind of deal? ebay is free auctions for the occasional seller and buyer. I would be happy to frequent a more gun friendly auction site if it offers the same or similar services.
    Walk softly ...

On another note, I just had someone on ebay ask if I would ship my 30 round mags to CA. I know you can't use them down there, but is it illegal to just own them? Or could you point me to the portion of the CA laws that would dictate wether or not I would be breaking their laws to sell as a private party? Any help on this would be great. I don't want to risk it if it's sketchy, and I have no experience with CA laws, but if it's not illegal on my part, then I have no problem shipping to him.
    Walk softly ...

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    You can't own any mags that hold over 10 rounds in CA. I'm not an expert or anything but I was watching one of those stupid reality shows not long ago where they go out and buy junk and turn around and sell it for big money. This guy bought a bunch of AR mags, they were Brownells if I'm not mistaken. The guy was making big deal about it like he had really accomplished something. They tried to jack the price and sell it to the guy that appraised them. I think he owned a LGS. This all happened in Vegas. They talked like they would have to sell them in Vegas b/c they weren't allowed to take them back with them to CA.

I wouldn't risk any kind of trouble just to make a few bucks, its not worth it. Even you got $100 for your Pmag, its not worth the ATF knocking on your front door. I wouldn't ship anything like that to CA.
    Last edited by DefConGun; December 22nd, 2012 at 01:59 AM.

Be careful, big brother might be watching.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    Good question, I guess I am just not familiar with Gunbroker and have never used it, while I have used ebay a few times. Is Gunbroker the same kind of deal? ebay is free auctions for the occasional seller and buyer. I would be happy to frequent a more gun friendly auction site if it offers the same or similar services.
    GunBroker is similar to eBay, except that it functions very much like a live auction. There is a "15 minute rule" which keeps the auction alive after the last bid, so that detestable (to me) "sniping" software is confounded. It's easier to use IMO than eBay, maybe because it's a specialized marketplace with fewer participants. Sure, there are speculators, but overall there are far fewer resellers of junk claiming their stuff is REALLY NICE. Plus, you don't have to edit your listing or the pictures to conform to some anti-gunner's agenda. Give it a try.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    GunBroker is similar to eBay, except that it functions very much like a live auction. There is a "15 minute rule" which keeps the auction alive after the last bid, so that detestable (to me) "sniping" software is confounded. It's easier to use IMO than eBay, maybe because it's a specialized marketplace with fewer participants. Sure, there are speculators, but overall there are far fewer resellers of junk claiming their stuff is REALLY NICE. Plus, you don't have to edit your listing or the pictures to conform to some anti-gunner's agenda. Give it a try.
    Thanks for the info. I will try them out next time I sell any gun stuff. Do they just take a percentage of the total sale like ebay?
    Walk softly ...

Administrator
    Do not ship them to California.

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    On another note, I just had someone on ebay ask if I would ship my 30 round mags to CA. I know you can't use them down there, but is it illegal to just own them? Or could you point me to the portion of the CA laws that would dictate wether or not I would be breaking their laws to sell as a private party? Any help on this would be great. I don't want to risk it if it's sketchy, and I have no experience with CA laws, but if it's not illegal on my part, then I have no problem shipping to him.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Do not ship them to California.
    If you disassemble them before shipping they are perfectly legal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links