Know what's a handy item for a Surefire Lumamax LX2 flashlight and fits it perfectly?

Know what's a handy item for a Surefire Lumamax LX2 flashlight and fits it perfectly?

This is a discussion on Know what's a handy item for a Surefire Lumamax LX2 flashlight and fits it perfectly? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A Maglite lens kit! A kit for a AA Maglite flashlight is shown here: Amazon.com: MAGLITE AM2A016 Mini AA Flashlight Accessory Pack: Home Improvement The ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By QKShooter
  • 1 Post By mkh

Thread: Know what's a handy item for a Surefire Lumamax LX2 flashlight and fits it perfectly?

Senior Moderator

A Maglite lens kit! A kit for a AA Maglite flashlight is shown here:

Amazon.com: MAGLITE AM2A016 Mini AA Flashlight Accessory Pack: Home Improvement

The salient items are the red, blue, and amber colored lenses and the lens holder. It looks like this:

And here it is on the light with the red lens. I've long since lost the amber and blue:

I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

That’s pretty cool, and good to know!

The only thing I’d be wary of is the heat IF used on high for any length of time.

I’ve got a couple of the SureFire lens covers for my Lumamax LX2 and the lens cover I use about 90% of the time is the diffusor to “soften” and broaden the beam.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Administrator
    You'll really appreciate being able to add a filter to your bright while light if you ever do not want to destroy your night vision.

Once the human eye has acclimated to darkness you need very little light to easily perform tasks in the dark.

And...intense white light is a night vision destroyer!
    Bark'n likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    And...intense white light is a night vision destroyer!
    Sure is, this is a big reason any time you get pulled over or talked to by an officer they make sure they shine their light in your eyes for a second.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    That’s pretty cool, and good to know!

The only thing I’d be wary of is the heat IF used on high for any length of time.
    That's true about the heat concern, but I don't think a lot of heat dissipates through the lens. I'm pretty sure Surefire has lens to go over some of their lights.

Plus, the LX2 is a dual intensity LED light. I have to say it has one of the best beams I've seen on a handheld. It doesn't have the smaller bright center like a lot of lights and it gives you a better view or a wider range than the tighter focused beams, and it is BRIGHT.

However, what I thought the filter would be good for is the low beam, 15 lumen for walking etc. This gets back to what QKShooter was talking about, you really don't need and you don't want much light for walking. When your eyes open up it just doesn't take much.

The filter cuts down on the intensity a good bit, and the red limits the bandwidth, both of which are good for maintaining night vision.

I find it quite interesting that the Maglite lens holder perfectly fits the Surefire. Outside of deliberately designing the LX2 that way, I wonder what the odds are that they just happened to get it just right?

mkh
    I was going to say "batteries".
    Burns likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    I was going to say "batteries".
    LOL, but actually not. The LX2 uses CR123s, the Maglites AA's, but wait, that would fit the thread title!

LOL, that is pretty cool that it fits...
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

Links