So I have this vest.

This is a discussion on So I have this vest. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My friend gave me a Ballistics IIIA vest that he said he didnt need anymore. Its woodland camoflauge and I was wondering if anyone has ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: So I have this vest.

So I have this vest.

My friend gave me a Ballistics IIIA vest that he said he didnt need anymore. Its woodland camoflauge and I was wondering if anyone has any expierence attaching fastening devices to it. Say a horizontal holster on the front or a magazine pouch or whatever.

Problem is there is no molle or any specific way to attach these items without sowing them on. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Ads

What cut is the armor?

Austin

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/324/4...432324_664.jpg

Best image I can find for it. If I were home Id take a picture.

I dunno there bud. My cousin gave me two vests. I have a navy seals Ciras vest and an israli made copy. I dont have the ballistics plates but can get them for under $200. I had no issues with mine but they're more like molle vests. I'll see about taking some pictures if your interested in seeing how i have mine laid out.

Things must be getting kind of tough at the ER?

I know the value of a vest in LE operations, but where/why would you wear one?

Just curious...
    multistage likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Isn't a vest like that designed to go underneath the LBE?

Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    Isn't a vest like that designed to go underneath the LBE?
    Looks like a frag vest I used to wear and the LBE went over it

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

Just curious...
    Ret-- There is one place I know I'd like to wear one--- the range. I use a commercial range and I know nothing about
    the experience or sanity of the others in the next lanes. Though it is very well supervised place I think a vest could add
    a tiny measure of protection from a neighbor's ND or a ricochet.

Its an interesting coincidence that you asked about this this morning. I was dressing to go shooting and my wife
    told me to put on my vest. I guess because of what was on my mind I thought she meant a ballistic vest and since I don't
    own one I gave her that "what you talking about" look. She got upset because I didn't understand her. Then she
    walked to a closet and took out a down filled vest, tossed it at me, and said "VEST, THIS IS A VEST."
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Re: So I have this vest.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

Just curious...
    Ill be completely honest with you... I have it and am preparing iit for the zombie invasion.

Ok maybe I wasnt being completely honest. I dunno just have it and was looking for some uses.. I theorized that I could done it if an armed intruder entered my home or something to that effect. I also like projects... this is a future one. My current project is my rifle storage room/concealed room in my garage Im working on.

Though I will tell you working in the ER has made me want my CC moee rhan anthing else. Twice patients have approached me in an uncomfortable way that made me nervous.. all ended peacefully but I deal witu psyche patients and addicts all the time. I had my son with me the last time.. and I fear the plausible.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Administrator
    Remove the panels and buy a new carrier.
    QKShooter and dukalmighty like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by oFant0mo View Post
    My friend gave me a Ballistics IIIA vest that he said he didnt need anymore. Its woodland camoflauge and I was wondering if anyone has any expierence attaching fastening devices to it. Say a horizontal holster on the front or a magazine pouch or whatever.

Problem is there is no molle or any specific way to attach these items without sowing them on. Any suggestions?
    how much was it worn, how old is it?
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    how much was it worn, how old is it?
    Um It was worn dunno how much.. was never used. And prolly around 5 years maybe. Is there an expiration date?

Sweat is the enemy of ballistic armor. My vest gets replaced every 5years, not that it wouldn't work, but they are more likely to fail after that age, especially if worn daily. If that pic you posted is similar to what you have, it probably wasn't worn much.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    Sweat is the enemy of ballistic armor. My vest gets replaced every 5years, not that it wouldn't work, but they are more likely to fail after that age, especially if worn daily. If that pic you posted is similar to what you have, it probably wasn't worn much.
    Well thepic has alot more to it lol. Yeah I will most likely rarly to never wear ir

Quote Originally Posted by oFant0mo View Post
    Well thepic has alot more to it lol. Yeah I will most likely rarly to never wear ir

if it was your friend's daily wear concealed vest, I would still use it,as its better than nothing, but know that sweat breaks down the ballistic fibers. I would do as Sixto said, replace the carrier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links