M&P 40 Compact options

M&P 40 Compact options

This is a discussion on M&P 40 Compact options within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just recently purchased a compact M&P 40 and wondering what has successfully worked for others as far a overall Concealment efficiency. (Sights, Holsters, Ect) Thanks...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GetSmith

Thread: M&P 40 Compact options

M&P 40 Compact options

Just recently purchased a compact M&P 40 and wondering what has successfully worked for others as far a overall Concealment efficiency. (Sights, Holsters, Ect) Thanks

I have Crimson Trace grips on mine and carry in a Milt Sparks VM2. Took me two years to find that combo but it works great for me!

Of course your mileage may vary...
    I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Best ca$H I spent on upgrades was the apex DCAEK and trigger,ram. + 1 on the Crimson trace laser grip. I also had the Trijicon HD night sights installed while the sights were off for the Apex upgrade. I have about $1200 in the gun but i'm happy with it. For holsters I have a Crossbreed supertuck and Remora. I always to to the Remora, It's simple, comfortable, and easy to adjust, YMMV.

Also, dont forget to get yourself the S&W stock 9 mm barrel and mags for your 40. I find myslef shooting with the 9mm more often than not.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.

I have the crimson trace grip and don't love it and it's expensive. I shoot better without it.

The XGrip converts the compact to a full size if you so desire. Cheap and works well.

XGRIP : Sub-Compact Handgun Magazine Adapters : Product List
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    I have the crimson trace grip and don't love it and it's expensive. I shoot better without it.

The XGrip converts the compact to a full size if you so desire. Cheap and works well.

XGRIP : Sub-Compact Handgun Magazine Adapters : Product List
    Absolutely agree. At the range I shoot better without the CT laser. A SD situation is not range time though. I would never get a rail laser but the CT laser would be an asset in a SD situation IMHO.

Administrator
    Keep to the basics is my advice. Learn to shoot the gun as is first, then start monkeying around with triggers and lasers. It you must buy something now, a good set of sights would be a good addition. The stock set is actually pretty decent, but the compacts scream for a set of XS sights.
    For holsters, I like high noon and crossbreeds offerings.
    "Just blame Sixto"

As a larger man, I have found the Cobra Gunskin K4S works well for me. It is OWB but with a larger shirt/jacket it keeps my M&P40C secure and ready at 3:00. As a benefit, I can carry my SV40E or my G22 with it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Keep to the basics is my advice. Learn to shoot the gun as is first, then start monkeying around with triggers and lasers. It you must buy something now, a good set of sights would be a good addition. The stock set is actually pretty decent, but the compacts scream for a set of XS sights.
    For holsters, I like high noon and crossbreeds offerings.
    ^^^^^^^^ What Sixto said
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post
    Best ca$H I spent on upgrades was the apex DCAEK and trigger,ram. + 1 on the Crimson trace laser grip. I also had the Trijicon HD night sights installed while the sights were off for the Apex upgrade. I have about $1200 in the gun but i'm happy with it. For holsters I have a Crossbreed supertuck and Remora. I always to to the Remora, It's simple, comfortable, and easy to adjust, YMMV.

Also, dont forget to get yourself the S&W stock 9 mm barrel and mags for your 40. I find myslef shooting with the 9mm more often than not.
    +1 on these recommendations, great additions to an already great gun. I too got the 9mm barrel and mag just recently for my 40c and can't wait to try it out and save some money on ammo.

Also would like to add, you could get the Smith& Wesson micro 90 weapon mounted light they're inexpensive and work and look great. And you could also get some full size 15rd mags with an x-grip on it to use for HD and at the range.

I have to agree, learn the gun and how it shoots first. The CT grips are sized between the medium and large backstraps. Basically they are a medium with a larger palmswell which works perfectly for me! Even if the laser doesn't work the pistol fits my hand and points very well!

I'm still looking at night sights but I have not researched trigger work yet. Mine is fine as is.

Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post

Smith, did you have to change anything else to out to convert to 9MM?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell47 View Post
    Smith, did you have to change anything else to out to convert to 9MM?
    Negative, that is all you need. They do sell conversion barrels, but those are not necessary unless your in competitions and need to be IDPA compliant. The factory S&W 9mm barrel, and you can even use your 40 mag but you will run into some feed issues toward the last couple rounds of 9mm doing so. But if you get the S&W 9mm factory mags along with the 9mm barrel you will run 9mm flawlessly through your 40.

Of course do this at your own risk, but I've not run into any issues doing so nor have others that have reported doing so.

Links