Defensive Carry banner

The Lumens ''trip''

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  P95Carry 
#1 ·
Don't get me wrong - I love lumens :smilez:

However - when it comes to all the clutter on my belt, I still stick to my humble E1e flashlight - it is compact and easy to accomodate. Now it is modest I admit and tho the LED head claims same as bulb at a ''mere'' 25 lumens IIRC - the effect when shone in the eyes at night is, well - painful. It is to me and those I have tried it on.

Optics are a part of this I am sure.

Bearing in mind that we would expect most encounters to be at close quarters for most part - is the super bright flashlight such an advantage if size factors go to large or huge? I know my small light will/would give me a second or two advantage and - the beam is well adequate for seeing stuff around me. In fact if I use it walking from office to house, it is well useful to 25 yards.

I have other flashlights (too many) but for on-body - I'll be honest - this small E1e is all I feel I need and want to carry around. If I remember correctly - light output follows the inverse square law so - to double this 25 lumens I'd have to up to 100 lumens.

#2 ·
Maybe One Notch UP...

I'm not sure...I have the E2e which is rated at 60-65 lumens and I find it to easily blind ME at night. I'm not sure if the E2e is more expensive than the E1e, but mine was not a cheapie...compared to K-Mart flashlights.

It is really all I need!

I see some threads about the 'Super X Zilron Nickle Coated Triple-X 250,000 Lumen'...able to blind a herd of buffalo at 4 miles...what's the point?
All I need is to have a two second advantage from 5 feet away...E2e will do just that...

Flash...Bang/Bang.............Bang!

Stay safe!

ret:urla9ub:

#3 ·
I agree, high lumens might be needed for more distance, but self defense distance is short and covered quite well. even by my lowely 3 LED lamps. They are enough to hurt looking into em.

#4 ·
From what I have witnessed from being on the receiving end in FOF,60 lumens has the same effect as the mega-lumens that are availble.

If it is too big, it will not be carried. A 25 lumens light in your pocket is better than a 100 lumens light is at your house.

#5 ·
I have other flashlights (too many) but for on-body - I'll be honest - this small E1e is all I feel I need and want to carry around. If I remember correctly - light output follows the inverse square law so - to double this 25 lumens I'd have to up to 100 lumens.
You're kinda correct. I've never heard it that way but.......Our eyes are lathargic(sp?) so, for use to see a difference it output, you have to double the output. You may persume that the light is doubled when you go from 25 lumens to 100 lumens but it is just how your eye sees it comparitavly.

As to the rest, I like haveing a really bright flashlight on me, but that is not always possible. I generally carry my HDS EDC U60 set at about 15-20 lumens(I can't remember what level I have it set on). That works really well for most general tasks. Knowing that 60 lumens is just one click away is very reassuring. :) Sometimes I will carry my Fenix L1T, on high it is the same brightness as the E1e only it runs brighter, alittle longer. I think it is adequate lighting but for self defense, I would want something brighter. It may be blinding from arms length but want about 15 feet?.......I think I have some testing to do tonight..............Hmmm, I have a few ideas I might play around with.

untill then,

clipse

#6 ·
One other thing to consider is the color of the light. A really bright maglight may have x number of lumens but a Light that leans more toward blue/white will appear brighter than a yellow incandesant(sp?)

Personally I think it is half the success of the led flashlights.

I have several Norlite's. They are led lights set up like the surefire, but use 3 aaa's. They put out more than a 3 d cell mag light (My own subjective testing). They run for 20 bucks. Surefire is the way to go for tactical situations sure, but why waste the battery's on every day use....

#7 ·
Clipse - hoped you'd swing by - thx for comments.

Lew - I agree too - the bluer light does have something of an edge I think - in fact I have to confess to hating the blue type auto bulbs as, even on low beam they can be real dazzlers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.