Light selection for outdoor use...

This is a discussion on Light selection for outdoor use... within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking into getting two flashlights, one for me and a birthday present for a good friend. I am most likely going to get ...

Thread: Light selection for outdoor use...

I am looking into getting two flashlights, one for me and a birthday present for a good friend. I am most likely going to get the Surefire E2E for personal carry. My good friend will more than likely not use his for carry, but more for outdoors and on the ranch (he is a flyfishing nut!). Can you guys offer up some recommendations? Does not need to necessarily be Surefire, but I do want high quality gear. Thanks.
    Hoss
    "from my cold, dead hands!"

Lead Moderator
    For outdoor camping, fishing, ect a good headlamp is wonderful for hands free operation. I bought a cheap ray o vac w / red and led bulbs as well as a krypton lamp. I am sure a Browning or pezel lamp would be a good gift.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Headlamps are nice, but he actually wants a flashlight. Thanks for the info.
    Hoss
    "from my cold, dead hands!"

How much are you willing to spend? Does it need to be really bright, long runtime?

clipse
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Check out the NON Surefire's in the Cabela's catalog. Lots of lumens for the bucks. Some have several lens covers also. He needs red and blue.

They are making some really nice LED's now. Check out the 3-5 watters. They are very bright.

Not knockin' Surefire(I don't own one),but there are way too many good lights out there to have tunnel vision. -------

cj
    A pretty darn nice light is the Streamlight Propolymer. It's a 1 watt luxeon, but a darn good one, that runs off of 4 AA batteries. Available in bright yellow (for me to find it more easily when I drop it) or black.

For the price to performance ratio, it's tough to beat. Reviews at http://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev...polyluxeon.htm

E2e...

works just fine for me...I've had it now for about 3 years...
    Buy your batteries by the 'boxes'...they keep jumping up (they have a 10 year shelf life).

Stay safe!

ret
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; October 16th, 2006 at 08:13 PM. Reason: added name
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'd either go with an Aviator, or split out the functions into a small, low-cost LED light for general illumination and something like a Pelican M3 Xenon for longer range light.

Hefty lumen output from an incandescent is hard to beat when something starts growling just beyond the range of an LED, but I wouldn't want to feed a tac light for use as a tackle box light.

Quote Originally Posted by cj View Post
    A pretty darn nice light is the Streamlight Propolymer. It's a 1 watt luxeon, but a darn good one, that runs off of 4 AA batteries. Available in bright yellow (for me to find it more easily when I drop it) or black.

For the price to performance ratio, it's tough to beat. Reviews at http://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev...polyluxeon.htm
    I have that light and it is great. :)

clipse
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    For my uses in the dark,thick,river swamps,and the thickish bottoms at our hunting/shooting lease,....kd5nrh is absolutely correct in stateing,"Hefty lumen output from and incandescent is hard to beat........" --------

I fly-fish the Connetquot River here in Long Island, many times I go early in the morning when the fog covers everything and for me a LED or Luxeon light just don't do it.
    (It will not penetrate the fog and seems to throw the light back at you)

When I return after dark, it is the same thing as the trails are bad and full of holes and the River put out so much moisture on the heavy night air. I much prefer an incandescent powerful light.

If you are going to buy an E2e for yourself, I assume you are going to expend the same kind of money for your friend.

My recommendation will be a rechargeable light running on Lithium Ion batteries, a Streamlight Strion sound about right with about the same output as the E2E (60 lumens whereabouts).
    It will fit the fly fishing vest perfectly in the inside pocket made for the forceps. (Fly fishers don't use tackle boxes)

If you want more lumens than that, I myself make a BEAR CUB (based on the 2 C size, granted more difficult to fit the vest) that is a throw monster (120 yards) and output 220 lumens, also running on rechargeable Lithium Ion and with a run time of one hour and a half.
    This light comes with charger and the price is similar to the Strion.

If I am out of line in here and a moderator feel that I am advertising my lights, it is more than welcome to delete my post.
    Respectfully
    black bear
    Builder of the BOREALIS 1050 lumens flashlight

and www.blackbearflashlights.com

E-Mail admin@blackbearflashlights.com

Sponsored Links