how do i remove grease from imported magazines? - Page 2

how do i remove grease from imported magazines?

This is a discussion on how do i remove grease from imported magazines? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by CicadaX My wife found me struggling to remove cosmoline from a recently purchased Mosin Nagant and suggested I try Dawn liquid dish ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: how do i remove grease from imported magazines?

Quote Originally Posted by CicadaX View Post
    My wife found me struggling to remove cosmoline from a recently purchased Mosin Nagant and suggested I try Dawn liquid dish detergent. With a lot of skepticism I took her advice. It worked! After rinsing well and drying, I finished the job with non chlorinated brake cleaner.
    I know Dawn will strip wax off a motorcycle it is the recommend product when you want to remove all wax to redo the finish never tried to remove cosmoline.
    I have used it to clean up after mineral sprits

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan4x4 View Post
    I just purchased a AK 47 mag at a gun show and it was covered in grease how do I remove all that gunk from themag ? Thanks
    a heads up, that's not grease. It's cosmoline.

soak the parts in a plastic tub filled with mineral spirits for 20-30 minutes, then put into a tub of hot water to rinse off. afterward, blow out with compresed air.

all done.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Pick up a can of Gun Scrubber and spray them down. Works like a dream. Walmart or your LGS sells it.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

cj
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Nobody said to boil them yet?
    Was going to go with this as well. Something small like magazines, this is pretty simple. My approach is to go to a thrift store or secondhand store for a pot (I've even used empty metal coffee cans), cover the magazines with water and simmer them for a while, skim off the gunk, remove with some tongs (they'll dry pretty quick) and cool, then oil lightly.

I've also used an ultrasonic cleaner for the parts, rinsed, and blown dry.

Bigger stuff gives me problems with these approaches, but these have worked for magazines and small parts for me in the past.

I've removed this with cleaning solvent in the past (ie. Hoppe's #9), but if you have a lot to get off, mineral spirits will be cheaper. I would not use any type of soap/water combination as recommended above, as this predisposes to rust, which is one of the reasons the grease is used in storage.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Thanks for the help people! I soaked them in diesel over night and will see the results tomorrow, you guys rock!
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

I forgot to mention once you've soaked in mineral spirits, then rinsed in hot water and blow dried, give the parts a good oiling to protect them, or use Barricade or your favorite water displacer to protect the parts after cleaning. If you check youtube for "how to remove cosmoline" you'll find lots of videos on it. avoid the suggestions of "simple green"
    you'd still have to scrub the parts with a toothbrush to get the goop off. the spirits soak will dissolve the goop entirely.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

VIP Member
    I do not have access to a lot of commercial cleaners here so when I buy mags in new condition they first get soaked in diesel for a bit then scrubbed and set out in the sun to dry. Wipe them down and you are good to go. I also use diesel to clean the AK's here, works like a charm.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I use the same thing I use to clean my handguns, the dishwasher..........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

GH
    I hope it's cosmoline & not grease. Bulgarian grease is is a nauseating thought, lol.

Something I would never recommend is using gasoline too remove cosmoline but it works good. Extremely dangerous. Don't do it.

Mineral spirits, break cleaner, auto parts cleaners, Dawn - all that were already posted - or a combination of some should do the trick. Make sure you're in a well ventilated area.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

actually if you don't have access to mineral spirits (???) you can use kerosene. It will work nearly as well.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Whatever you use, you'll end up using "elbow" to clean it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Dawn gets the grease out, even the gravy dribbles on shirts.
    "Calgon Take me awayyyyyyyy"
    Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links