What's in your Get Home Bag?

This is a discussion on What's in your Get Home Bag? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally finished putting together my GHB. Its a little heavy at 19lbs, but that will lighten up some come summer. What do you all ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By SnareMan
  • 5 Post By glockman10mm
  • 2 Post By SIXTO

Thread: What's in your Get Home Bag?

What's in your Get Home Bag?

I finally finished putting together my GHB. Its a little heavy at 19lbs, but that will lighten up some come summer. What do you all have in yours? Here's a vid I did on mine. Any thing you'd add or take away?

OD* likes this.

2. Remove Ads

My get home bag usually consists of a half eaten sandwich, and bag of M&M's left over from lunch I use to snack on till I "get home" and have some supper.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Appreciate the post. Clearly you've given this a lot of thought, and have about everything needed.

I might have missed it, but if you didn't include it, I'd add some burn cream of some sort, because wilderness first aid seems to often involve burns. My bag has a few more pistol magazines as well, with mag pouches, and that weight would be distributed on my person, before I started hiking home. Small shotgun would be nice too, if there was room. :)

Interesting post. Good job on the video.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Thanks for the comment and thoughts. I live in a suburb so I'd envision that I'd be walking home through more civilization than wilderness so less likely to be exposed to fire I suppose. As soon as I get the trigger spring on my other M&P9c replaced I plan to put that in the bag instead of my Shield and also with a second mag. That way I'll have 24 rounds vs the 7 I showed in the vid. A shotgun would be nice if there was room for it somewhere. I suppose it could stay in the trunk or something.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    My get home bag usually consists of a half eaten sandwich, and bag of M&M's left over from lunch I use to snack on till I "get home" and have some supper.
    You're killin me here
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    Appreciate the post. Clearly you've given this a lot of thought, and have about everything needed.

I might have missed it, but if you didn't include it, I'd add some burn cream of some sort, because wilderness first aid seems to often involve burns. My bag has a few more pistol magazines as well, with mag pouches, and that weight would be distributed on my person, before I started hiking home. Small shotgun would be nice too, if there was room. :)

Interesting post. Good job on the video.
    Silvadene. This stuff is not cheap but it is amazing.

Silvadene Cream 1 % Silver Sulfadiazine Cream 400 gram Jar - Mountainside Medical Equipment

My sister spilled a pot of boiling water on her leg turning in the kitchen by misjudging the height of the counter. It was aweful. This was the only thing that stopped the pain. The Mrs had hot oil splatter on her palm and this was again our savior.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

If you're looking for a cheaper alternative to Silvadine for less severe burns, some burn centers (our hospital is a regional burn center) are just using bacitracin. Otherwise Silvadine has always seemed to be the standard.

Administrator
    I didn't watch the video, but at 19 pounds, I can safely say you have way to much junk in your trunk.
    I went through and condensed/simplified mine about a week ago. My purpose and mission is a little broader as an LEO, and mine weighs half what yours does. I carry a some trail mix, some bug spray/sunsceeen, two rifle mags, one pistol mag, two wedges, emergency phone charger, extra socks, gerber multi tool, a few zip ties, a few chemlights, light poncho and a very basic first aid kit. I always have water with me, no need to carry more.

I laughed at myself and now others when a Vietnam vet friend of mine took a look at my bag and commented how its more crap than he or any of his friends carried into the jungle for a several day patrol.
    TX expat and nontechguy like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I guess I'm a little more paranoid than most....I have two. Small one with:
    -1911, holster, 5 magazines
    -Otis cleaning kit & BoreSnake
    -flashlight
    -.30-30 ammunition
    -Gerber pocket tool (Freehand)
    -compass, map
    -paracord

In my large bag:
    -compact sleeping bag, sleeping pad
    -hiking boots
    -change of clothes (Mountain Khakis,three different shirts for layering, 3 pairs socks)
    -canteen
    -blowout first aid kit
    -two freeze dried meals
    -fixed blade knife
    -fire starter
    -flash light
    -batteries
    -votive candles
    -poncho liner
    -water-filter straw
    -compass, map
    -paracord
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I didn't watch the video, but at 19 pounds, I can safely say you have way to much junk in your trunk.
    I went through and condensed/simplified mine about a week ago. My purpose and mission is a little broader as an LEO, and mine weighs half what yours does. I carry a some trail mix, some bug spray/sunsceeen, two rifle mags, one pistol mag, two wedges, emergency phone charger, extra socks, gerber multi tool, a few zip ties, a few chemlights, light poncho and a very basic first aid kit. I always have water with me, no need to carry more.

I laughed at myself and now others when a Vietnam vet friend of mine took a look at my bag and commented how its more crap than he or any of his friends carried into the jungle for a several day patrol.
    Thanks for the comment, although if you watch the vid you'll see that I can take some of that weight size out if its not needed. Like the pair of shoes I have in it - either I'm wearing appropriate shoes at the time and can leave the ones in the bag in my car or am not and will put on the ones in the bag. Also have some clothes for the same reason. I don't know how I'm going to be dressed at the time and if I'm in dress clothes I don't want to be hiking home in them.

OD*
    Excellent video, thank you.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Links