Eotech with Magpul MBUS sights?

This is a discussion on Eotech with Magpul MBUS sights? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all New to the AR world. Just installed the Eotech 512 on my M&P 15 Sport in front of the OE Magpul MBUS. My ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RKM

Thread: Eotech with Magpul MBUS sights?

Eotech with Magpul MBUS sights?

Hi all

New to the AR world. Just installed the Eotech 512 on my M&P 15 Sport in front of the OE Magpul MBUS. My thought was the MBUS could remain as a back up sight. Or should I remove the MBUS and the front Iron sight?

They seem to coexist well though.
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    -Douglas Adams

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    No leave the BUIS and the front sight post! Optics are just a luxury that run on batteries. Iron sights are what you will use if your optic fails.

If you leave only the optic and it dies and you don't have iron sights you'll be SOL!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    No leave the BUIS and the front sight post! Optics are just a luxury that run on batteries. Iron sights are what you will use if your optic fails.

If you leave only the optic and it dies and you don't have iron sights you'll be SOL!
    When.

Definitely leave the flip up. Also practice as much with them as you do with the optic.

Thanks for the advice...I got some outdoor time shooting and moving with the AR (no optics) this weekend and did very well. Not to mention it was just too much fun.

I'll work with both set ups next time out.
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    -Douglas Adams

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I ran that setup without problems for two years on my old Bushmaster, the guy I sold it to still has the set up. I think you are good to go.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

RKM
    Buy the Yankee Hill Eotech riser, or the Larue riser. The Larue one is like $98364705 more. This will put the Eotech about a 1/4" over the front sight post and give you a clearer view over top of your front sight post. It can also be used with both front AND rear fixed irons. In your case, when you need your irons, flip up the rear sight, and you can use the irons through the "lower 1/3" of the optic. It's called lower 1/3 co-witness. It's the optimal way to run a RDS with fixed iron sights, or even just a fixed front sight.

Or, you can replace your front sight post with a folding front sight/gas block. I'd highly recommend the VLTOR front sight/gas block.

But if this is in any way a defensive rifle, you're better off leaving the irons sights where they are. If it's just a plinker and will serve no purpose other than fun, then it really doesn't matter.

Links