Scope Compromise?

Scope Compromise?

This is a discussion on Scope Compromise? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, I would like to add a scope to my M&P 22 rifle. As many of you know, this is not an expensive gun ...

Thread: Scope Compromise?

Scope Compromise?

Hi all,

I would like to add a scope to my M&P 22 rifle. As many of you know, this is not an expensive gun ($500 or so), and my friends say to get a really good scope (of course), but really good scopes cost almost as much, or several times, the cost of the gun. I'm on a budget, so I can't really justify that kind of splurge at this time.

Are there any out there that are respectable at a lower price point that you can suggest? Say $150 maximum? Suitable for target plinking up to 100 yards or thereabouts?

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    A Bushnell 4X will work fine. Get the 1" tube for better optics.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Go to WalMart and get a Nikon P-223 scope specifically made for AR's for about $150.
    3x magnification.

Should work for your 100 yard plinking fun.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

The glass is fair, but a Simmons "22 Mag" scope is a good value, 3-9x32. Don't bother with the AO model (adjustable objective) for casual plinking use. Around $50 from various retailers.

A compact, 4x power scope would look pretty good on that gun. Check out the low-end Chinese stuff like NC Star and Barska. They should be OK until you can invest in better glass.

Another alternative is a modest red dot, like the Bushnell TRS-25. I put one of those on my tactical-game 10/22 and it's a hoot for under a c-note. If you're decent with the trigger you can hit soda cans at 100 yards in spite of the 4 MOA dot.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Folks, i have a contact at Carl Zeiss where I can get a discount on scopes. Does anyone have any ideas on what models might work with this 22?

Quote Originally Posted by AlDente67 View Post
    Does anyone have any ideas on what models might work with this 22?
    Just make sure your objective is adjustable down to rimfire range distances. IMHO, it's foolish to have a high-end scope on a rimfire when you can't adjust the objective down to 25 yards. 25-75 yards is the sweet spot of rimfire distance.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

One problem with cheap scopes on centerfire rifles is they aren't designed to handle the recoil,with the M&P22 you don't have to worry about recoil so any reasonably priced 4x or 3x9 variable should work just great as long as the ring bases fit the width of a picatinny rail,some cheap scopes have attached rings for mounting to the narrower bases like on 10/22 rifles
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

So I picked up a cheap laser scope over the weekend. It's fun, but we'll see how it stands up under fire. It fits well on the rail.

My problem is that I don't know how to remove the front fixed site, which is blocking the laser line, lol! There is a little screw on the side that does not loosen up. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links