Reloading and bullet diameters

This is a discussion on Reloading and bullet diameters within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious where the line is drawn between subbing one caliber bullet with another. The difference between the 357/38 (.357 on midway, .358 in Lee ...

Thread: Reloading and bullet diameters

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

Just curious where the line is drawn between subbing one caliber bullet with another. The difference between the 357/38 (.357 on midway, .358 in Lee book) and the 9MM at .356 seems pretty negligable, and if using the 9MM bullets in a 357/38, (I wouldn't ask about going the other way) is there a limit to what you can/should do or is it just plain a

Reason I'm asking is, I'll be loading a bunch of 9MM for my wife and father, but the Bro in law and my nephew will be bringing me some brass from his 357. So should I pick up a box of bullets for probably a couple dozen rounds a year, if that much.

Just curious.

Oh yeah, also, other than the flash hole not being a single hole in the middle, what makes a shell cassing "non reloadable", how do you identify it, I know the steel aren't reloadable, but some of the brass has been labeled as non reloadable too.

Thanks in advance
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Lead Moderator
    Use the correct label/size bullets for any reloading. as well as correct dies, equipment ect. To do otherwise can prove dangerous. May I suggest reading a few reloading books.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    You can load slightly oversize lead for 9mm - but it is always best if going lead to slug the bore first to check on size. I use to fuel my early BHP with 125 grain lead RN's sized .357.

The main factor with revo's is the chamber throat dia - as this swages anything oversize down before barrel anyways. To much over sizing will generate pressure issues tho some folks might download powder charge a bit to accomodate that.

For sure - browse load manuals as much as possible. Don't take chances with reloading. Not sure of your experience but best to play safe.

A single flash hole = Boxer primer - reloadable. Tho may have to deal sometimes with a crimp on mil brass.

Two small holes and a ''spikey'' bit in middle of pocket (the anvil) = Berdan - for most folks non-reloadable tho I used to do some way back.

Steel and aluminum cases essentially not for reuse.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

You do need to buy some lead for the .357, and not use the lead your using for reloading the 9mm.

9mm lead is either .355 or .356 in diameter depending on the type of lead your going to use.

.357 or 38 spc. lead is going to be either .357 or .358 in diameter. If you attempt to use the smaller lead diameter your not going to get the proper dimensions for you loaded rounds and will more than likely have very crappy ballistics from the smaller diameter lead traveling though the larger barrel. You also will more than likely have trouble making sure that the bullet is seated properly with the cannelure missing from the 9mm leads.

I have never tried, or even though about substituting the two. Maybe some else here has and it worked for them, but I would not suggest it. A box of 100 or 500 lead is pretty cheap and if your placing an order your going to be paying shipping any way.

Hey, you might even want to get a .357 yourself. That would be a good reason to get one. Hey honey I have all this lead, and no gun to shoot it with, lol.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Thanks Chris for the flash hole info, as for the bullets, I was thinking about an undersized bullet for the barrel. I wouldn't go oversize, just curious if 2 thousands of an inch smaller would be an issue, I guess opposite of the high presure, would it reduce presure too much?
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]

Bullet size

I got a good deal one time on a bunch of bullets. 8000 rnds of 125 GR .357 JHP and 2000 rnds of 124 gr. .356 FMJ all for $100.00. When perusing the 4 or 5 manuals I have that list the 9MM loads, I ran across several loads that call for .355 and several loads that call for .356. As long as you follow the manual, you'll be fine. On the other hand, I never seem to be able to find a recipe that uses the bullets I have. I can't afford to buy name brand bullets. I usually use lead bullets from local manufacturers. As far as your question goes, if you use an undersize bullet, accuracy and velocity will suffer, but I don't think any damage would be done. Keep in mind, I'm not recommending this, just trying to answer your question.
    "An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject."

Sights? What are those?

Well shoot,

Farrenwolf pretty much answered that question while I was writing. I guess I should have mentioned that I will be loading jacketed bullets too. Sounds like it is too much of a difference to mess with.

Thanks for all the help.

no not a good thing to do espically with lead as undersize will gas cut and lead the barrel a lot..

with a jacketed you might not get enough barrel seal to make sure you get enough pressure to get the bullet out of the barrel as it wont slug up to fill the bore

Assistant Administrator
    I reckon you have the answers now Mike but re bullet dia - we want full engraving and obturation so - undersize never a good idea IMO.

As I said tho I very successfully used .357 lead 125 RN's in my BHP with no leading - and with a lead bullet that is not mega hard, the one thou swaging is no big deal. Jackets want to be right for the gun.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post
    Well shoot,

Farrenwolf pretty much answered that question while I was writing. I guess I should have mentioned that I will be loading jacketed bullets too. Sounds like it is too much of a difference to mess with.

Thanks for all the help.
    When talking standard bullets that are commonly used for reloading 9mm and .357, the .355 (9mm) and .357 (38spl/.357) bullet diameters are for jacketed rounds. Lead rounds will be .356 and .358 respectively. If you are really into building a bullet that fits your barrel, then slug the bbl first and use a lead bullet sized accordingly. The fun part will now be to find a bullet cast to the exact size you want, or a sizing die to make your own. For most production barrels, the standard sizes will work fine.
    ""If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, I either won't need more or, more won't help me.""

I would never reload a 9mm bullet into a .38/.357 case, I just don't see any benefit. I do have a ruger .357 blackhawk with a 9mm cylinder and have been very impressed whith the accuracy of 9mm rounds through this gun.

Senior Moderator
    Reason I'm asking is, I'll be loading a bunch of 9MM for my wife and father, but the Bro in law and my nephew will be bringing me some brass from his 357. So should I pick up a box of bullets for probably a couple dozen rounds a year, if that much.
    One of my favorite plate shooting loads for years was a 124 grain lead roundnose 9mm bullet in a .357 case. It was loaded with Bullseye and had no recoil. Shooting it out of my Dan Wesson .357, it was very easy to shoot and there was no leading at all.

It was a popular load with many of the shooters at the range. The same results could be had when shooting the cheap 9mm FMJ out of the .357.

The lead 9mm bullets were .356...so it was not a great difference in diameter for the .357 barrel...at least it didnt show up on paper. I know that some bullets dont obturate or bump up to size to fill the rifling which results in poor accuracy and excessive leading, but the 9mm bullet in the .357 never seemed to be a problem.

If it were me, I'd simply load up a few dozen rounds and try it. If you like it, load some more.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Sponsored Links