Ear and Eye protection

This is a discussion on Ear and Eye protection within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I use these. They work well for me, though all of my shooting is done outside. I'm not sure how well they would work indoors, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ear and Eye protection

RT
    I use these. They work well for me, though all of my shooting is done outside. I'm not sure how well they would work indoors, but I would probably err on the side of caution and double up with earplugs if I ever use an indoor range, regardless of the muffs I have.

Caldwell E-Max Low Profile Electronic Muffs

2. Remove Ads

+1 on the Howard Leight Impact active headset... outstanding value at under $50. We have 4 of them and they're outstanding.
    As for eyes... reasonable polycarbonite shooting glasses can be had for $10-$20 at any sporting goods store and there are a number of options that run into the hundreds of dollars. Pretty much anything is better than no eye protection, but something that's rated for shooting is always advised.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

I typically use the disposable foam earplugs. They are cheap and usually more protective than muffs, and IMO, more comfortable---especially in hot weather. You can check the level of protection by looking at the DB (decibel) rating; this is required on all packaging of hearing protection. The higher the number, the better, but I would recommend 26 db or higher.

As for eye protection, most any pair of glasses will suffice----prescription, sunglasses or inexpensive safety glasses.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    I wear glasses. Wife does not. I am looking for a recommendation for eye protection for the both of us and ear protection. Will be firing up to 9mm for what's its worth as far as noise. Are there any active noise canceling muffs that are under say $50? Is passive okay for muffs? Any online suggestions as I can't find much locally ? Newbie here so please be gentle.
    I used my regular prescription glasses and Howard Leight Quiet Band 2 ear plugs, $8.95 and they are nice. I usually shoot .40 and can't hear squat with them so I love them, plus they are easy to put on and take off. I cant wear ear muffs because they push my glasses into my skull too much and it hurts.

QU2.jpg
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

“Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

I use the Dillon Blue Electronic Ear Protection. If you take a "Gun Fighting Course" or one of the many Basic or Intermediate Training Courses that are being offered everywhere you will need to hear all the time. Taking headphones and ear plugs out and back in during one of these courses is a pain. I have been using Electronic Ear Protection for the last 20 years. Yes, lots of 9V batteries and now AAA batteries. It works.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

VIP Member
    I'm sold on these 3M throw away plugs.

3M E-A-R Soft Earplugs, Yellow-Neon, 200-Pack - Amazon.com

The great thing about using something like this is you can stash them everywhere. I have 'em in my rifle bag, my pistol bag. My go bag. I stuff a couple in the grip of my AR. I've never, ever been somewhere and not had earpro since I started using them.
    ironmike86 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links