Ear and Eye protection

This is a discussion on Ear and Eye protection within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wear glasses. Wife does not. I am looking for a recommendation for eye protection for the both of us and ear protection. Will be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ear and Eye protection

Ear and Eye protection

I wear glasses. Wife does not. I am looking for a recommendation for eye protection for the both of us and ear protection. Will be firing up to 9mm for what's its worth as far as noise. Are there any active noise canceling muffs that are under say $50? Is passive okay for muffs? Any online suggestions as I can't find much locally ? Newbie here so please be gentle.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I use cheapo muffs and glasses, and put the savings on more ammo.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I bought my glasses and ear protection from walmart.Can't remember what the muffs cost.The glasses were around 6.00.

I personally wear plugs, then muffs over then cheap clear osha safety glasses. I can't see with sunglasses it limits my vision. I don't like it being obstructed. As far as the hearing that seems to work fine for me. My ears don't ring when I leave a range or shooting session.

VIP Member
    I wish I had noise cancelling ear protection but have made do with plain old ear muff style ones. It is a good idea to stick soft
    ear plugs in --- but in my experience I almost never get them to go where they are supposed to. I've bought stuff that supposedly
    molds to the shape of the ear; waste of money. SO, plain muffs for me.

On eyeglasses. I wear "sports" glasses. The strap doesn't interfere with the ear muffs and the polycarbonate lenses are pretty
    good for basic protection. When I have tried to wear safety glasses over regular prescription glasses it just has never worked well
    for me. Shadows and fog become a problem.

Whatever you use for glasses, make sure they fit well enough that hot brass can't get trapped between your glasses and your
    eyes. That's a guaranteed day ruining event.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I wear a cheap set of plugs under cheap muffs and cheap glasses. I don't do it to protect my hearing, the ears help me avoid flinching at the loud reports of other shooters. I can't help my hearing...way too many years in the USAF flying big noisey planes then jets...can't hear anything anyway.

As for ear muffs under $50, I'd recommend the pro ears ultra 33. They run about $40 on their site but I got a set off of ebay for $25. As long as you don't mind having a bigger profile cup design, they offer a little more protection over most of the other cheap sets.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Passive ear protection is fine or just use ear plugs. The exception to that would be in a class where the instructor is giving range commands or shooting instruction and you need to be able to hear without taking off your ear protection. It seems like someone always shoots before you can get them back on, and the instructors don't want to be held up waiting for people to take them off and put them back on. If it's just you and your wife,passive will be fine.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I use these, they help me hear range commands, and on outdoor uncontrolled ranges I can hear cars pulling into the range parking area behind me. They block 27 decibels. They are too large to wear a hat with but at $13 Ill live with that. DR

Noise Canceling Electronic Ear Muffs

Someone else recommended those. Something to consider.

If for eyewear you need prescription, there are some wrap-around goggles/glasses for the firearms, racquetball, basketball sports.

If not needing prescription, consider, say, one of the polycarbonate type Ektelon wrap-around goggles for racquetball. Back when, I had a pair of these and the worked well. Few scratches, could withstand a moderate hammer blow, and deflected all the spent cases and occasional ricochet pieces that struck them. Worked well, so far as shooting went.

Here are some options: Safety Glasses @ OpticsPlanet.

As for hearing protection, definitely go for an active/electronic type muff if you can afford it, that is if you want to easily hear the spoken voice yet shield against the report of gunfire. But beyond that nicety, any ~$20 muff and ~28db plugs can combine for pretty darned good hearing protection no matter what you fire, albeit at the expense of loss of ability to easily hear spoken words.

There are some less-expensive electronic muffs on the market. Here are some, including higher- and lower-priced models: Electronic Muffs @ OpticsPlanet.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I do have prescription lenses. I'll have to start with the OSHA safety glasses (the ones that go over glasses) that I have easy access to until I can find/order something for my blind self. I'll also look at that link you provided.

I would definitely go with plugs and muffs. I've got the HF electronic muffs - they work fine except there's a delay before the mic kicks back in. At times it can be a bit annoying, but for under $20, what the heck. I know an instructor that had a slim pair of peltors, but switched to full size muffs after developing a bit of tinnitus. Neither plugs, nor muffs, do a good enuf job on their own. Remember hearing loss is cumulative and progressive and the vast majority of people never realize what they've lost until they have serious problems and need hearing aids. Also, just b/c you've lost a significant amount of hearing you shouldn't give up on the hearing you do have. For a proper fit for earplugs, reach over your head with the opposite hand and pull up on the top of your ear while inserting the plug - it helps straighten your canal. If it starts to come out the other side, well, you've gone too far.

For a proper fit for earplugs, reach over your head with the opposite hand and pull up on the top of your ear while inserting the plug - it helps straighten your canal. If it starts to come out the other side, well, you've gone too far.
    One thing to keep in mind, as well, is that not all plugs are equal ... at least in terms of fit. Everyone's ear canal is different, and some of the styles of basic/inexpensive (typically foam) type plugs just don't fit everyone.

My own favorite is the swimming type plugs, made of synthetic/rubberized material with multiple "wings" to keep out all the water. Can be found in ~29db or so, if you hunt around. Used to pick them up in the local grocery by the handful, and each came with its own little plastic carrying case (useful for keeping the crud off them, in the range bag). Very nice, particularly effective when doubled-up with muffs. Just ask ExactlyMyPoint how effective they are in combination.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I went with these and I have been very happy. Indoor or larger calibers I put earmuffs over (cheapies at walmart), and they're cheap enough to give away to friends or others at the range.

3M Foam Ear Plugs, Non-Corded 29dB Rating, 200 per Box: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I've been looking at electronic as well so I'll be keeping an eye on this post, but I've been eyeing the Howard Leight impact sport:
    Amazon.com: Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff: Home Improvement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links