Range Gun Bags

This is a discussion on Range Gun Bags within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey, great topic, glad I found it. Never would have thought of a toolbox!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Range Gun Bags

Hey, great topic, glad I found it. Never would have thought of a toolbox!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Large Midway range bag - tough to beat - holds 4 pistols - screwdriver set - spare magazines - spare holsters - room for eyes & ears + spares of each - 400 rounds ammunition - spare parts - lunch for everyone at the range well, that part may be an exageration - there is a removable center section that will hold 2 pistols, ammunition and accessories, so you can carry a lighter bag to the firing line. Also comes with removable bag for spent brass, and a padded shoulder strap + room for some miscellaneous stuff.
    jbum likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by flphotog View Post
    In got this one Amazon.com: Allen Company Deluxe Tactical Range Bag: Sports & Outdoorsfrom amazon, works well for me.
    I think this is the same bag Academy has for $35.

I have this one Gear Bags - Premier Black Pro Equipment Bag W/Rigid Inserts

May be better bags but for $37 I think it is a great bag
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Also own the Winchester bag from WalMart and I love it. Roomy with no waste. I carry two handguns, a couple hundred rounds of ammo, two set of ears and cleaning kit. Also range supplies (tape, staples, staple gun).
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - T. Jefferson

Who needs a special range bag? I suppose if you're after the organization pockets and all that would be nice. I don't worry about it. I have a duffel bag I use that someone gave me a while ago. At the range I go to guns have to be cased whenever they leave the booth. That means if I turn around and walk over to the table to put my stuff away my guns have to be in a case (case defined as a fully enclosed unit that is secured with a snap, zipper, buckle, or latch of some kind). So the factory boxes my pistols came in are great. I bought a similar style case for my rifle (doesn't fit in the duffle bag, but thats OK). Ammo boxes go in a bag, targets go either on the bottom or on top of my pistol cases, and my eye/ear protection, as well as holsters, go in another bag on top. Everything zips up nice and it is all in one spot.

Spend your money on more ammo, not what you carry it all in.
    pittypat21 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gun1 View Post
    Who needs a special range bag?
    All good points provided one has a bag suitable for the task. Since all the bags that I had were allocated to other tasks, a range bag seemed the logical choice and for the price I paid, not that much of a burden. I suppose one could swap out the contents for one activity for another, but having done that, I have left critical equipment laying on the table because I was distracted at a critical moment while packing. Not saying one needs a purpose built bag, just a separate bag. YMMV
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - T. Jefferson

Check out the Husky tool bags at Home Depot. $20 for a bag that comfortably fits two pistols, bunch of ammo, and some gear. Lots of side pockets that are perfect for supplies and mags.

Re: Range Gun Bags

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunn217 View Post
    I just picked up a blackhawk sportster for $22 on ebay. So far I love it. Great bag for two pistols.

BLACKHAWK! Sportster Pistol Range Bag - BLACKHAWK!
    Funny, I just bought this same bag on Amazon hours ago before viewing this thread. Glad to see I made a good choice. :)

CJM
    I use a Craftsman tool bag that I've had since 1999. It's made much more sturdier than a lot of the other Chinese made bags from the "tactical" brands. As you can see from the first picture, it will hold a total of 10 AR mags on the outside, 3 on each side and 2 on each end. Gratuitous gun pic thrown in for good measure.

Here in the second picture shows than an additional 10 could be stored in the side compartments if configured differently than I have mine. There is 350 rounds of WWB, 100 rounds of Tula, 60 rounds of Gold Dots, small first aid kit, staple gun, tube of grease, 2 pistol mags. Also, not pictured but also included inside is a minimalist cleaning kit, eye and ear protection, pack of cheap paper targets, protein bar, various amount of .223/5.56 ammo, and a laminated copy of the Dot Torture Drill instructions.

"Thank you for the advice Mr. Vice President, but I'll be keeping my AR15 for defending my home and family."

I also have opted for one of my grab-and-go range bags to be less "tacticool" and more "covert". I have a Stanley Fat Max tool bag (518150M) from Lowes that, with it's multi-compartments, hard/flat plastic bottom, wide-mouth opening top, heavy duty zippers & contractor-quality construction is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Yet loading it in/out of my pickup never raises any undo attention. Best of both worlds.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I also recomend the midway range bags, whatever size you are thinking about getting get one size bigger. I'm always thinking of new stuff I "need" to have in there.
    Last edited by Harvester; January 15th, 2013 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Because I can!!
    Molon Labe

Agreed, range bags are like garages. You seldom hear anyone say "gee, I wish this thing was...smaller".
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

+1 for The Midaway bags. Very happy with mine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links