Body Armor - Page 2

Body Armor

This is a discussion on Body Armor within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just use the IBA and plates Uncle Sam has provided me. :)...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Body Armor

I just use the IBA and plates Uncle Sam has provided me. :)
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Administrator
    This isnt a concealed carry issue; moved.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    This isnt a concealed carry issue; moved.
    Sheriff SIXTO. Back from the ragged edge and cleaning up DC one post at at time.
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

I would of said your nuts a few years or even months ago, but who the heck knows when you might have to be forced to use it. Between all these unlawful laws, possible revolution or civil war, and a possible govt collapse and a slight chance people stop getting welfare or food stamps.. I dont think its too bad of an Idea these days... I dont have any but if I had the money I would get it..

It Prob would put you on a watch list though..
    atctimmy likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Since I am now going thru the Acadmey, and will eventually be doing patrol (our county covers 1,800+ sq miles), I really like the bulletproofme website and the goldflex. I have a question here for LEOs and others who go in harms way:

Here is what I am thinking--buying the goldflex III for wear under the uniform shirt, and then for other higher-risk situations (like building clearing), buying a tactical vest and either put a second layer of class IIIA soft armor OR buying ceramic plates for front and back in the tactical vest.

Thoughts from those more experienced????

THANKS!!!!
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    Since I am now going thru the Acadmey, and will eventually be doing patrol (our county covers 1,800+ sq miles), I really like the bulletproofme website and the goldflex. I have a question here for LEOs and others who go in harms way:

Here is what I am thinking--buying the goldflex III for wear under the uniform shirt, and then for other higher-risk situations (like building clearing), buying a tactical vest and either put a second layer of class IIIA soft armor OR buying ceramic plates for front and back in the tactical vest.

Thoughts from those more experienced????

THANKS!!!!
    I am not an LEO, so, you can take this for what it's worth.

I would not double up with a level 3 and then a 3A over it with soft armor. Getting a tactical vest that is a plate carrier to wear over it makes a lot more sense to me. Armor in general sucks to wear. But, if you are going to wear it, might as well make it worth wearing. Plates have come a long way in the past few years in terms of being able to withstand multiple hits while at the same time getting lighter.

I just think doubling up with soft armor would just add more bulk without greatly increasing your protection. If you think it is high risk enough to double up, you should be wearing plates, which are able to protect your vitals from much higher power rounds.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

It is funny how many people here are all over the government for their recent work to control guns, but someone brings up body armor and the classic gov't party line "Civilians don't need that!!" pops right out. Shame on you.

I think body armor is a great addition to home defense. My belief is this: If I need to pick up a gun there is a good chance the other person has one as well, therefore I'd be better off if I had improved chances of surviving a shootout. I also like the idea of having a few spare mags, cell phone, IFAK and flashlight together.

US Palm makes different styles of Defender armor with prices starting at $199 for the front panel only and an additional $99 for the back panel.
    OD* likes this.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Quote Originally Posted by hartlathers View Post
    You didn't say if this is for a job related funciton. If it is, good luck in your search. If on the other hand you want to wear body armor as a daily fashion statement, you need to change where you spend your time.
    Neither. It would be for storing at home and used in the case of home intrusion or SHTF.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weeg View Post
    Careful...you may end up on a watch list

Some days when I'm really bored, I like to imagine how many I'm already on.

Between IRC chat, forums, and my facebook page, I probably look like some right wing extremist nutjob.. fact is I'm just a Libertarian, tired of having his rights and liberty stripped away. I actually saw an article this morning that, in short, stated that the government considers pretty much anyone who follows Libertarian views of individual liberty, state power and limited federal government to be a right wing extremist/terrorist. Sounds more like Stalin USSR or Nazi Germany to me at that point.
    OD* and aus71383 like this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Unless your LEO or do security work, do you really need body armor? If your spending time in areas where you think you might need it, you need to re-evaluate where your spending your time. JMO
    I actually do worked armed security.. but aside from that even in a relatively quiet rural area like the suburbs of Columbia, SC, we have gang violence.. 3 major gangs all collide in this area, or near here, and they all claim territory in and around where a lot of stores and major business is located, so sometimes it's just a matter of choosing to be more cautious than others around you. We have Bloods, Cryps, and Folk Nation down here, and shootings at night at clubs and such is pretty regular.. weekly I'd estimate.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

I ordered a plate carrier and level III Ar500 Omega plates early this week. For training, and "just in case". That stuff may not be available to civilians in the future, for a reason.

Reason being, they won't want us to be able to protect ourselves.

i would have bought the soft body armor
    but i have and carry cause of the rising of rifle shootings lvl 4 ceramic stand alone plates FOR VITAL ORGANS ONLY (BODY ARMOR WONT PROTECT AN ARTY IN YOUR LEG)
    i know its legal to posses(which is carry, hold,tape, or put in a bag, on your person) in the state of MD
    YOU HAVE TO BE 18 OR OLDER
    YOU CANT BE A CONVICTED FELON OR USING IT IN A FELONY CRIME
    YOU CANT HAVE ANY PENDING OR LEGAL ISSUES(LIKE THEFT,GUN CRIME, OR TRAFFICKING or IN GANG ACTIVITIES) which means YOU HAVE TO GET A PERMIT
    CANT HAVE ANY MENTAL PROBLEMS
    OR PENDING PEACE ORDERS OR RESTRAINING ORDERS AGAINST YOU OR ANOTHER PERSON

you should be fine a good piece of advice is keep it concealed (you will be stopped due to citizens and the police will look up your id number and run your name for any crimes)!!!!!!!!!!!+ if its concealed your enemy wont know you have one. SO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE PROOF OF PURCHASE WITH YOUR NAME ON IT
    be weary.
    my friend

bulletproofme.com Is the best, only sells to civies, read your local and state laws FIRST.They have the best selection

i have been shot by a 12 gauge and wish i did have it hmmmmm makes you think.
    Last edited by ksnax; January 28th, 2013 at 02:39 AM.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    I am not an LEO, so, you can take this for what it's worth.

I would not double up with a level 3 and then a 3A over it with soft armor...
    Probably just a typo, but just to clarify: There is no such thing as Lvl III soft armor, soft armor only goes up to IIIa, and then you enter the would of plates. That said, buckeye is exactly right with his advice. "Doubling up" soft armor will gain you almost nothing. IIIa by itself will stop almost any handgun round, and two layers of IIIa will still NOT stop almost any rifle round. If you are concerned with rifle fire, get a plate carrier and throw it on over your uniform when you need it.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I bought my own Crye Precision JPC for work while I am down range but use plates uncle sam provided me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links