Body Armor

Body Armor

This is a discussion on Body Armor within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wasn't sure where to post this, but anyway... I'm considering a IIIA Body Armor purchase after seeing the effectiveness of the US Palm Defender rig. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Body Armor

Body Armor

Wasn't sure where to post this, but anyway...

I'm considering a IIIA Body Armor purchase after seeing the effectiveness of the US Palm Defender rig.

Does anyone else own armor? Any opinions on the Defender, or other quality vests?

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Second Chance makes some of the best vests. Another option is the GoldFlex IIIa vest, since it's considerably lighter, thinner, and isn't susceptible to moisture/water.
    Tale a look at bulletproofme.com
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Careful...you may end up on a watch list

VIP Member
    Unless your LEO or do security work, do you really need body armor? If your spending time in areas where you think you might need it, you need to re-evaluate where your spending your time. JMO
    Ksgunner likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I've considered getting one of those that just slips on quickly over the head to have in the bedroom. I like the fact that it makes an extra magazine readily available and provides a holster for the gun when the excitement is over.

I haven't because my plan is to lie on the floor at the top of the stairs and call 911 if we hear a noise. Doing that the vest does no good at all, in fact it makes me more visible and creats lumps I have to lie on. If they are already upstairs, there isn't time to put it on - just grab gun from drawer and go for it. I don't answer the door with any lights on in the house after we got to bed, only the porch light is on so we can see who is out there from upstairs. If I don't know them, the door doesn't open. Period.

I think about it, but so far the idea of a vest has been totally resistable.

I did get a light mount for my shotgun though.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Just picked up my US Palm Defender-Handgun at the shot show!

Link: https://uspalm.com/products/us-palm-...r-handgun.html

With the Defender Handgun my P2000 SK w/3 magazine, cell phone, and my night light is one reach away.

The article in January's NRA Shooting Illustrated was very good. One noted example was a home invasion where the Bad Guys and the home owner exchanged fire. While the home owner did drive away the BGs and protected his family he die from the wounds he received defending his home. Body Armor DOES NOT make you bullet proof, but it can protect vital organs as many in LE can tell you.

Mine is now ready should there be a bump in the night!

Caveat: These are not a concealed vest. They are to be worn over your clothing and are easy on - pull over your head.
    Last edited by onacoma; January 19th, 2013 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Add Caveat

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Unless your LEO or do security work, do you really need body armor? If your spending time in areas where you think you might need it, you need to re-evaluate where your spending your time. JMO
    If he wants it, he wants it. And in most states, unless he is a felon, he can own it.

Personally, I think it can be a valuable addition to a HD plan. If you have a room that you are going to hunker down in, and have taken measures to strengthen the door which would give you more time, I see no issues with having a vest that you can put on quickly in that room. Another bonus is that you could pre-stage it with all the gear that you want on your person in such an even, so it is all organized and ready to go.
    atctimmy and 45ACP4ever like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

GH
    I had the option to wear a vest when I was doing armed security at a plant that manufactured sensitive items for the Military. The catch was I had to buy it out of my funds. I borrowed one from an LEO friend of mine but really didn't like it much. I probably wore it only 50% of the time. The threat level was low & the plant was locked, with video surveillance & alarmed during the shift that I was on. I had the vest available at all times, though.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I cant see any reason a civilian would need body armor, unless needed for work. I would rather have more ammo. To each his own. IMHO YMMV
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Body Armor

The US Palm Defender rigs are very nice, comfortable, and at a price point that makes them a viable option for home defense. They centralize all the stuff you need in a home invasion scenario.

Would you go into a sword fight without a shield? It can never hurt having a little bit more security.

Do I need it? I hope not. Will I ever need to use my concealed firearm? I hope not. In either case, it's there if I need it.

Surprising that there are some folks on a pro-2a concealed carry website that ask such questions...

To those with suggestions and support, thank you. I am thinking in similar terms to you guys, that my wife and I have something that we could quickly slip on to improve the odds in a home invasion and have everything in one place, ready to go.
    atctimmy and onacoma like this.

VIP Member
    Why does anyone need an AR15? I mean those guns are extra deadly and use big clips....why does anyone need one?

<sarcasm off>
    Eichorn likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

You didn't say if this is for a job related funciton. If it is, good luck in your search. If on the other hand you want to wear body armor as a daily fashion statement, you need to change where you spend your time.

Body armour wouldn't be a bad thing to get. Might as well stock up, I figured I'd also show you a really interesting video that would help. Given the circumstances of what's going on with our 2nd amendment rights. Although body armour is helpful, it is meant to stop bullets, it is meant to slow down small arms rounds. Here is an example, Tokarev vs Body Armor and Ballistic Gelatin - YouTube

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links