Thinking about a gun safe - weight question and others

This is a discussion on Thinking about a gun safe - weight question and others within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Congratulations on the purchase. My safe is also a Cannon, and they act quickly on the warranty service. I was burglarized many years ago, and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Thinking about a gun safe - weight question and others

VIP Member
    Congratulations on the purchase. My safe is also a Cannon, and they act quickly on the warranty service. I was burglarized many years ago, and the burglars knocked the handles and combination lock off (I believe they are designed to do that) and pounded a crater in the top of the safe with a dumbbell. Cannon sent a locksmith out and he was able to repair it. If it was not repairable, they were going to send me a whole new safe.

safeparts.jpg

Bolt it to the floor and back wall if you can; the underside is the weak spot.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

2. Remove Ads

360 pounds empty.....now add in all your guns and as much ammo as will fit - it will gain weight quickly. My safe is ~900 pounds empty - no idea what it weighs full, but it's a lot.

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    360 pounds empty.....now add in all your guns and as much ammo as will fit - it will gain weight quickly. My safe is ~900 pounds empty - no idea what it weighs full, but it's a lot.
    1500 lbs "dry," here, anchored to the foundation. It's going nowhere quickly, without a proper hand truck, Tommy Lift, a couple of cohorts, and a dozen visit to the chiropractor.
    aus71383 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    It has been on my mind for a while now to get a gun safe. I only have four long guns, but I want to secure them better.

I keep my handguns in a nice Stack-On pistol safe. It's not fireproof.

So what I'm thinking is to get a decent fireproof gun safe. I can keep the long guns and handguns in it, plus ammo, and eliminate the pistol safe or use it for something else. I could still use the current pistol safe for holsters and such.

Fireproof is a must.

So now the weight question. My house is wooden frame, so how much weight do you think the floor can handle without needing to be reinforced? I'm thinking that 300 pounds shouldn't be a problem. My garage is on a concrete slab but I really wouldn't want to keep it out there.

Thoughts?
    Depends on how your floor is constructed.Are they trusses or floor joist and what size. What is the spacing,is it a crawl space or a basement. If it's a crawl space you could get under the area where you want it, and reinforce it to carry the extra load. Three hundred pounds is not alot of weight for a floor. The load is spread out over at least two joist,and isn't much heavier than a good size country boy.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

I've been looking into get a gun safe and a bedside box. I'm also looking into a wall safe for other valuables.

my safe looks like a microwave and I keep it next to my bed...

jk That would be cool though

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links