Thinking about a gun safe - weight question and others

This is a discussion on Thinking about a gun safe - weight question and others within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It has been on my mind for a while now to get a gun safe. I only have four long guns, but I want to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Thinking about a gun safe - weight question and others

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

Thinking about a gun safe - weight question and others

It has been on my mind for a while now to get a gun safe. I only have four long guns, but I want to secure them better.

I keep my handguns in a nice Stack-On pistol safe. It's not fireproof.

So what I'm thinking is to get a decent fireproof gun safe. I can keep the long guns and handguns in it, plus ammo, and eliminate the pistol safe or use it for something else. I could still use the current pistol safe for holsters and such.

Fireproof is a must.

So now the weight question. My house is wooden frame, so how much weight do you think the floor can handle without needing to be reinforced? I'm thinking that 300 pounds shouldn't be a problem. My garage is on a concrete slab but I really wouldn't want to keep it out there.

Thoughts?
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

2. Remove Ads

300 pounds isn't much of a safe. Serious safes of a decent size are easily double and triple that.

A 300-pound safe could go almost anywhere. A heavy safe is best located close to an exterior wall or a supported load-bearing interior wall.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I live in a wooden frame over a basement and I wouldnt hesitate to put 300 lbs anywhere in it. That being said my dad was a old school carpenter and used only solid oak he had milled for every support, brace, joist and the hard wood floor and sub floor when he built it for his first home years ago, so this place is built like a battle ship.

That being said I doubt unless you think a 300 lb person would go thru your floor that a safe would. If your worried you could just put wooden or steel pad under it that was wider to spread the weight a lil. I know guys that keep 800 lb Harleys in their kitchen all winter and doesnt cave in their floors.

A 600 pound safe is just two large guys standing next to each other. Would 2 big guys make you worry about the floor?
    Annual Member NRA 1972-88
    Life Member NRA 1988
    Endowment Member NRA 2013
    SAF Member 2013

VIP Member
    I didn’t want to but I had to put my safe in the garage, it is 3X3X7 and weighs 1100 pounds empty. As others have said a 300-pound safe should be safe on your floor. If you feel safe putting a fifty gallon aquarium in your house that will weigh more than your safe.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    When figuring out how much weight a floor will hold, its done in LBS per square inch. If you took the example of two 300 lb men, the area of the bottom of there feet [ only the part actually touching the ground ] would be divided by 300 LBS. lets assume 6 square inches on each foot, or 300LBS Divided by 12 sq inches, giving us 25 LBS per sq inch. that number gets much worse is you used a woman in high heels of the same weight. Her high heels put so much less in contact with the ground.

Now lets look at a 600 lb safe with a flat bottom of say 36"x36". That would give us 1296 square inches touching the ground. So 600LBS divided by 1296 sq inches would give us .46 LBS per Sq inch. [or less than 1/2 lb].

Now if it were my wood floor house Id be making sure the safe was placed across two floor joists and as close as possible to a weight barring support. Or adding a support under the safe. 300 lb men move around, the safe will be sitting still for a long time. My wife's Player Piano weighs more than my safe, its wheels sit on 12" steel plates to spread the load.
    The company's who make safes have put a lot of study into where they can be put without any damage to the houses. So look at where you would be putting the safe and decide from there.
    msgt/ret, SpringerXD and Brademan like this.

Ft Knox Exective at 1400 pounds does not even begin to make a difference in the closet of my frame house.
    It is on the center of two floor joists with 1 inch sub floor.
    90 minutes of fire protection of 1500 degrees or more.
    Hope this helps. Stay safe

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Mine is in the garage (man cave). Bolted to the floor with a Golden Rod running 24/7. haven't had any issues with corrosion and I'm dealing with a lot of humidity.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Distinguished Member
    My house is also pier and beam. I also wondered about how much weight could be a problem. From the comments it seems I am ok. Thanks to all.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Thanks a ton, everyone (no pun intended). I can put the safe in the corner of a closet that happens to sit right next to the center support beam, and I'm thinking of keeping it at 600 pounds max, just to be safe (no pun intended again).

msgt/ret likes this.

-miklcolt45

The fun is taking it in the house.... and getting it where you want it. Some safes out there weight 1700 - 1800 lbs.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I can put the safe in the corner of a closet that happens to sit right next to the center support beam, and I'm thinking of keeping it at 600 pounds max, just to be safe ...
    If you have access to the joists from underneath the floor (crawlspace), you can easily beef up the area with additional joist hangers, brackets, even added boards to help spread the load and support whatever additional loads you're intending on placing there.

As well, you can always lay down a good-sized, thick sheet of plywood or marine plywood (say, of ~1.5" thickness and one that's significantly wider/longer than your safe's footprint) on top of the floor to help spread the load.

Any flooring construction person ought to be able to answer a few simple questions to guide you in the right direction.

To keep it real: ~8 average-sized adults will be ~2000 lbs. If you can imagine them standing together in a kumbayah "group hug" without the flooring collapsing, then a fairly decent safe shouldn't be a problem. Beefing up the area will just provide you with added peace of mind and additional margin of safety.

Suggestion: Get a safe well over 1000 lbs, 1500+ if you can; get a safe with at least 1/4" plate steel all around, at minimum; bolt it to the floor/wall; have it located in a tougher-to-get-to spot to discourage easy access; have it in a spot away from prying eyes. Consider having a couple of safes ... one for the "collection" and one for easier/quicker access (ie, nearby the bed) for the guns in active service as defensive guns.

Check the Gun Safe Buyers Guide at 6mmbr.com.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thanks for the excellent input, everyone.

I bought a Cannon Challenger from Tractor Supply ( Cannon TS6026E Challenger Gun Safe, 24 Gun Capacity - 1027670 | Tractor Supply Company ). It's 360 pounds, has an electronic lock (which I've already programmed), and gets excellent ratings.

I put it next to a center floor beam it it's solid as a rock.

Rock and Glock likes this.

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I bought a Cannon Challenger TS6026E ... 360 pounds ...

I put it next to a center floor beam it it's solid as a rock.
    If you haven't done so already, be sure to anchor it securely to the floor/wall joists (or foundation). At 360 lbs, it's not above being simply carted away by someone with a hand truck.

Congrats on the new unit.
    Arborigine likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Congratulations!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links