Make a grey man bug-out bag

This is a discussion on Make a grey man bug-out bag within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Great idea for a hidden-in-plain-sight bug-out bag: Make a Grey Man Bug Out Bag This fellow tells how to adapt an ugly golf bag and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Make a grey man bug-out bag

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

Great idea for a hidden-in-plain-sight bug-out bag:

Make a Grey Man Bug Out Bag

This fellow tells how to adapt an ugly golf bag and rolling cart to make an under-the-radar bugout bag.
    sdprof likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Pretty good idea, would definitely be rather cumbersome to lug around. The bag cart/dolly would be helpful but not always practical to use in all situations.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Nice!

I like staying under the radar. Katrina showed us that it's a good idea to stay under the radar, too. I have several tiered bugout bags - my first is my purse, which I always carry with me when I'm out. It's got only a few basics. In the van is a school backpack with more items, and then we have a large family bugout bag in a large hiking backpack. There's any number of ways to conceal weapons. A yoga bag is inconspicuous. I've seen tennis racket cases used, too.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Pretty good idea, would definitely be rather cumbersome to lug around. The bag cart/dolly would be helpful but not always practical to use in all situations.
    I would have to agree about it not being practical in all situations: here, for instance, there MAY be one golf course within a 100 mile radius. But I thought it was pretty well done, especially for our Florida contingent.

Administrator
    It's great that the guy is thinking outside the box and exercising some good mental creativity but, for the real world & SHTF I can envision a lot wrong with the idea in general.
    With regard to his gear selection I would also make some changes but, it is more complete than many folks would pack.
    I sure would prioritize differently...get rid of some stuff and add some much more necessary and important items. He could also shave down some bag weight by switching some items out for others.

Really different thread though. Thanks for putting it up. It should make for an interesting back & forth discussion.

And that is what a forum is all about.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    Let me put his list of items here since that will eventually end up also being part of this discussion. And in addition I am curious to discover what our other members would alter, change, add and/or subtract....increase or decrease. What say you all?

1. Water Supply (1 gal): One qt. in a stainless steel water bottle. Three quarts in eight clear plastic “pint” hip-flask vodka bottles. A person typically needs 1 gallon of water per day, but weight is a limiting factor. My water supply must be refreshed daily. The flask bottles are ideal for SODIS water purification. Learn about SODIS at SODIS: How does it work?

2. Food Supply (Five days @ 3000 calories per day): Rice. Pasta. Lentils. Oat meal. Grits. Instant potatoes. Beef jerky. Energy bars. Trail mix. Freeze-dried entres. Ramen noodles. Instant Soup Mix. Pasta Sides. Coffee. Tea. Salt. Sugar. Spices. It’s best to pack only familiar foods that you enjoy and which are easily prepared.

3. Fire kit: 3 Bic lighters. Blast Match. Magnesium fire starter. Waxed jute tinder. Small qty. split oak firewood & lighter pine. Learn about Blast Matches at Blast Match Fire Starter - YouTube and learn how to make waxed jute tinder at How To Make Waterproof Tinder

4. Cooking kit: Stainless steel cup. Stainless steel pot (1 qt.) with lid & bail. Fork. Spoon. Paring knife. Soda can alcohol stove with 16 oz. of alcohol. Learn about soda can stoves at The Perfect Alcohol Stove, part 1 - YouTube Watch all three videos. The small holes in the improved version can be poked in with a needle.

5. Hygiene Supplies: Dish soap. Plastic scouring pad. Plain liquid bleach. Bar Soap. Wet Wipes. Towel. Toothbrush. Washcloth. Mirror. Comb. Mini E-Tool Folding Shovel. Toilet paper. Bleach can be used to purify water. Learn how at How To Purify Water With Household Bleach |

6. Sleeping Gear: Jungle Hammock. Wool blanket. Light fleece blanket. Inflatable pillow/cushion. Clear plastic ground cloth. 2 heavy plastic drum liners. The plastic ground cloth can be used to catch rain or make a solar still. The mosquito netting can be used as a net. The drum liners can be stuffed with leaves or moss to make a comfortable mattress. Learn how to roll up in a wool blanket at Wrapping In A Wool Blanket - YouTube and how to wear one at WOOL BLANKET TRICKS - YouTube Instead of using pebbles & string, sew a coat button on and a put a buttonhole in the blanket. Learn a better way to make a solar still at The Extreme Solar Still Concept, by Jim B. - SurvivalBlog.com

7. Shelter: 6ftX8ft camo tarp w/ attached paracord tent ropes, four tent pegs & ridge line. Learn how to tie a Siberian Hitch at Bushcraft - Siberian (Evenk) Hitch Demo - YouTube and how to set up a tarp tent at Rigging a tarp: Bushcraft - YouTube

8. First Aid kit: Assorted Band-Aids. 2 rolls gauze bandage. Assorted gauze pads. ACE bandage. 2 large bandanas. 3 sanitary napkins. 3 tampons. Suture kit. Prescription & OTC meds (aspirin, antibiotic ointment, burn gel, etc). Insect repellant. Sunscreen. Moleskins. Electrical tape. Tourniquet. Bandage scissors. Hemostat. Jeweler’s loupe. Tweezers. Sanitary napkins and tampons are excellent bandages for lacerations and puncture wounds. A jeweler’s loupe is better for splinter removal than an ordinary magnifying glass.

9. Lighting: 2 Mini-LED flashlights, one headband LED flashlight, 8 extra batteries. One long-life candle. Solar battery charger. All batteries are rechargeable (NiCad).

10. Camp Tools: Ka-Bar sheathe knife w/ sheathe & sharpening stone. Leatherman Multi-tool. Small Vise-Grip® pliers. 4” locking pocket knife. Folding saw. Hatchet. Machete.

11. Clothing: 5 pair of wool socks. 1 ea. pants, long sleeve shirt, t-shirt, belt, & underwear. Poncho and liner. Hat & wool watch cap. Goretex winter jacket. Gloves. Mittens. Knee pads. Sunglasses & spare eye glasses. Note: Hiking boots are kept under the seat of the vehicle w/ 1 pair of socks for immediate access.

12. Fishing Gear: Hooks (6 ea. LMS). Bank line. Fine monofilament line. Bobber. Sinkers (6 ea. LMS). 3 worm lures.

13. Hunting Gear: Scoped .22 rifle w/ 100 rds of LR ammo. Large rat trap. Snare wire. Slingshot/slingbow plus two broadhead arrows, one blunt arrow, and one fishing arrow w/ line. 60 pcs. of lead shot. Spare set of slingshot bands with pocket attached. Learn about slingbows at TGO PATHFINGER Slingbow Kit! - YouTube

14. Sewing Kit: Needles, thread, buttons, safety pins.

15. Navigation & Com Gear: Water proofed map(s). Lensatic compass. Waterproof note paper. Pencil. Ranger beads. Analog watch. Small hand-crank emergency radio. Reserve disposable cell-phone. Solar-charged Kindle loaded with maps, recreational & survival books. Learn three ways to find North at 3 Ways to Find North Without a Compass and learn how to use Ranger beads at Make and Use Ranger Beads to Measure Your Walking Distance

16. Misc. Gear: Assorted ripstop nylon stuff bags. 100 ft. of 550 paracord. Duct tape. Ziplock bags. Zip ties. Mini-binoculars. Camo facepaint. 6 ft. length of vinyl tubing with short metal tube on one end. Coffee filters. Folding umbrella. $200.00 in small bills including $5.00 in quarters. Vinyl tube can be used as a spark blower & siphon for solar still. Coffee filters can be used to strain algae and debris out of water before it is purified.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    Nice!

I like staying under the radar. Katrina showed us that it's a good idea to stay under the radar, too. I have several tiered bugout bags - my first is my purse, which I always carry with me when I'm out. It's got only a few basics. In the van is a school backpack with more items, and then we have a large family bugout bag in a large hiking backpack. There's any number of ways to conceal weapons. A yoga bag is inconspicuous. I've seen tennis racket cases used, too.
    Especially with the new Isreali Tavor Bullpup Carbine by IWI. Just imagine the places you can stash that! I'm seriously drooling over it. Very compact weapon.

Rock and Glock likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Now all I have to find is my Bug-Out Caddie!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Administrator
    The TAVOR. Soon to be made in the U.S.A. - an awesome firearm.

I keep a set of 4 fullsized metal frame back packs filled and ready in the attic. 2 smaller ones for the 2 dogs. Just say the word and we are off the grid in 3 minutes...120 days supply.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The TAVOR. Soon to be made in the U.S.A. - an awesome firearm.
    I didn't want to hijack this thread so Istarted a thread on it and posted a couple of YouTube video's of it in the Defensive Rifles & Shotguns section.

Isreali Tavor Bullpup Carbine
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Interesting thread. You never know when a natural or man made situation will occur. Prepare now for tomorrow. Aside from self defensive measures, food & water for at least a week or more. Also for you parents & grandparents.: formula, baby food extra water and diapers. Medication: 90 day supply might be looked into also!

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar

Re: Make a grey man bug-out bag

I know I would not think twice about a guy pushing around a golf bag while the world is falling apart.........

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    QKShooter, Bark'n and mbguy29577 like this.
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Open carry is to a handgun as bluetooth is to a cell phone!

As to the carry method, I'll pass. To get to anything you have to dump everything, every time. Golf bags are designed to carry lightweight items, not 50 lbs of gear. Golf trolleys are designed to carry lightweight items over smooth terrain, not through the woods. I doubt this guy has actually tried to transport 50 or more lbs of gear, supporting it with one hand for very far even accounting for less weight at the handle - especially up and down hills or over rough terrain. I'd rather use my back and hips (major muscles and skeleton) to support the total weight. Forget about stealth when the wheels start squeaking. If you want wheels for smooth terrain, I'd consider those luggage trolleys if anything.

1. Water Supply (1 gal): The flask bottles are ideal for SODIS water purification. That's too long and too dependent on weather and may have to filter anyway. I'll take a filter and chems. There's always the solar distill method that I would trust more - tape two clear bottles together (clean one on top), lay in sun with clean one uphill and covered to cool vapor. Could also be helped with coals.

6. Wool blanket. For the cost of what army wool blankets go for now, check out alpaca wool - it's supposed to be lighter, just as warm, and non-itchy.

8. First Aid kit: Careful on feminine hygiene products - stay away from perfumes. Ditch the Suture kit.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Nice American twist on the NVA/VC use of bicycles to transport contraband. I think the golf shoes tied on and single club is hilarious. Myself, I think I will commandeer a grocery cart and be the bag man of the appocolypse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links