Flashlights? - Page 3

Flashlights?

This is a discussion on Flashlights? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by cj And MJClark: Look for TerreLux conversions for your maglight. May not 'skyrocket', but reviews I've seen indicate it's a vast improvement ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Flashlights?

Quote Originally Posted by cj View Post
    And MJClark: Look for TerreLux conversions for your maglight. May not 'skyrocket', but reviews I've seen indicate it's a vast improvement over the stock bulbs.
    I will have to check that out. Thanks for the heads up!

I've tried several and carry a Streamlight ProTac 2L both on duty and off. You wouldn't believe the amount of abuse it's taken and still works as well as it did on day 1. Bright, great battery life, rugged, very compact.

I have an ASP Triad 300 Lumens Rechargeable light. Had it for almost 2 years and it works great. Nice thing is if the rechargeable battery goes down, drop two CR123's in it and keep going. Two modes to operate, press for light and press for on and press for off. None of the strobe business or trying to figure out what it will do at the next push of the button. I have also dumped two lights that will kill a pair of batteries in around 5 months even if never used. The electronics in them uses small amounts of battery power waiting for you to press the button to turn them on. That is a waste of money in batteries for a light that never gets used. It took a while to figure out what was going on there and then ordered the ASP. Not looking back.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

I will confess to a moderate level of flashaholism myself, I tend to get the cheaper Walmart types which lead to less pain when losing them. for a scuba light, which should work great on land also, I am thinkingn of a 3 C-cell light from Dive Right In Scuba in IL. Dive Right In Scuba | Plainfield scuba diving lessons and scuba equipment. We also provide scuba certification for the Chicago area.
    they have a 1,000 lumen light which gets good reviews, DRIS Dive Gear 1000 Lumen Dive Light | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL
    $90 bucks for it

I pretty much go with Surefire...great lights and the company will repair anything for free...even free shipping.
    I was looking at the SureFire P2X for a while, but it was $165...I found this tonight and ordered it...Surefire Fury Defender 500 Lumen LED Single Stage Flashlight w/ 123A Lithium Batteries FREE S&H P2XD-A-BK. SureFire Flashlights. Saved $28...

Update: Got the P2X in a week...used it in the backyard and someone called the police to report an airliner was attempting a landing , it is 500 lumens.
    AZJD1968 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by sigs View Post
    https://www.foursevens.com/ High quality, fast & free shipping.
    I
    I also have a 4sevens, I believe the one I have is no longer made as I've had it for a few years, but they make good flashlighs and are reasonably priced. I also have a mag-lite XL100 which is quite good.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...for those who use the lights that require the 123 Lithium batteries...cheapest I've found them is online from Surefire...12 for around $24+shipping...been through a couple dozen of them...good quality batteries...buy 'em local and it almost takes a second mortgage to buy two...
    Might want to take a peek at BatteryJunction.com - They have a variety of CR123's for as low as 90 cents each.
    I've actually seen pretty good results from their "Titanium Innovations" cells (about a buck each).. not quite as long-lived as the Surefires, but half the price.

CR123A Batteries 3V Photo Lithium Batteries CR123 DL123A CR123A K123A EL123A VL123 SF123A CR17345 23-155 2 PL123A 123A lithium photo batteries flashlight battery 3v CR123A Battery 123A Battery L123A K123A EL123A VL123 SF123A CR17345 23-155 2 PL123A 1
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Just got my Streamlight Pro-Tac HL 600 for $70 and that thing will burn your retinas .....lol what a great light :) solid design .

...just today picked up a Ryobi spotlight...Home Dippy...about $49...runs off any Ryobi 1+ battery...2800 lumens...I took it out after most of the neighbors had gone in and it made my across-the-street neighbor's front yard look like daylight...you can count the fleas on a coon in the tree...brought it inside and shone it down the hall...the reflection off the white enamel cabinet doors made me wince...I'm using the batteries from my 18V rechargeable drill...nobody who's come into the house will be able to see past this light...it's not very heavy and has a trigger lock...but intermittant will be best...it's a big boost to my home defense...2800 lumens...there is no night when you turn it on...might benefit especially those of you who use a handgun as primary defense weapon...a bit tricky with a long arm...

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I pretty much go with Surefire...great lights and the company will repair anything for free...even free shipping.
    I was looking at the SureFire P2X for a while, but it was $165...I found this tonight and ordered it...Surefire Fury Defender 500 Lumen LED Single Stage Flashlight w/ 123A Lithium Batteries FREE S&H P2XD-A-BK. SureFire Flashlights. Saved $28...
    How do you like your Fury so far? As I posted in post 21, I have and carry that light very often. It shares carry time with my 6px pro and both have treated me well.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

I'm another flashlight junkie! FWIW I think it's impossible beat Surefire. They're expensive but in my experience they're bombproof, although they're not always the brightest. The brightest are generally the Chinese models. They seem to play the "emitter-of-the-week" game and are generally very up to date and bright. Surefire, on the other hand, focuses on reliability. I have two Surefire E1B's and they're my favorite lights overall. My EDC is a JETBeam BC10. I also have a couple more JETBeams, but the BC10 is very small and powerful. It takes one CR123A battery. It's actually a little smaller and brighter than my E1B's and is only about $35. However, when I go somewhere that I'm sure to need a light I take a Surefire. The main issue I have is that the E1B has a lockout tail cap whereas the BC10 doesn't. Once I did have the BC10 turn itself on in my pocket. I was at the theater. The only reason I noticed was that I stuck my hand in my pocket and felt something like a hot coal! It was the BC10! It gets pretty hot on high. Had I not stuck my hand in there it likely would have stayed on til the battery died or the emitter burned out.

For budget oriented lights DealExtreme does have some great deal. I think JETBeam is extremely good, again with the caveat about the push button not having a lockout position.

If you run mostly CR123A as I do, it's hard to beat BatteryJunction.com for pricing and service. I get Panasonic batteries for about $1.25 in bulk. They actually make the batteries for Surefire with the Surefire logo on it.

CR123...I've found really the cheapest cr123. Each one costs $1.20

Quote Originally Posted by TheConcealer View Post
    Check out Streamlight.

I carry the ProTac 1L everyday and it is great, not to mention they are reasonably priced for a high quality light.

ProTac® Series | Streamlight
    I have a couple of the 2L version of that and like them very much. They do heat up fast, if you have one in your pocket and accidentally turn it on it'll let you know pretty quickly. I also have one of the larger (but still pretty small) S&W police-model lights that also has a red and a blue beam - you may not think that important until you need to flag down an ambulance or LEO, they will definitely notice that if you just flip back and forth between red and blue.

My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

My name is Cheesewiz and Im a flashlight aholic ...

I bought another flashlight today ....A Streamlight LED Pen light- ST66318 ....

C4® LED technology, with a 50,000 hour lifetime.
    Unbreakable and scratch resistant polycarbonate lens.
    Up to 683 candela peak beam intensity, 28 lumens typical, 2.25 hours runtime.
    One "AAA" alkaline battery.
    Push button tail switch – momentary or constant on operation.
    Tailcap switch for momentary on/off. O-ring sealed, shock proof and drop-tested construction. Water resistant per IPX4; in accordance with specification EN 60529:1992. High Strength "Break Away" safety lanyard. Unbreakable pocket clip.
    L x D: 3.5" x .6" (90 x 15 mm)
    1.04 oz (29.7 g)
    Matte Black

Im a sick man ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links